• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we disagree on what 'blowing up' the team means. Obviously selling guys we don't intend to bring back (Timmy, Pence) isn't blowing anything up. But those last 4 names, you're basically saying get rid of the front end of our bullpen, and an allstar 2B hitting well over .300. And only JLo is a FA next year.

I guess I don't see how dealing all those guys makes us a better team in 2014, where I still believe we can compete. You say Romo isn't a prototypical closer, ok, but if you deal him you want to just plug a rookie into the role and try to win another ring? It's not like our farm has any can't miss closer prospects.

And JLo is really valuable...perhaps the idea is deal him and tell him 'look we aren't wining this year but we want you back next year, let us get a prospect for you and then re-sign you'. You could even say the same to Timmy and Hunter if you want them back.

But dealing Scoots, Affeldt, and Romo to me says teardown, might as well deal Panda and Blanco etc too...

You have to remember that when we make a trade, we get something in return. I am not talking about dealing Romo for a AA backup catcher. I am talking about getting a B+ or better prospect as the centerpiece of a package. Anything less than that and he stays put. I think he is one of the best setup guys / ROOGY in the game (although, he has certainly graduated from his '10/'11 ROOGY roll).

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jokes... but I guess the important thing is we agree that we shouldn't be buyers.

Teams in the West are getting better around us we'll see what happens come the end of the season.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should chime in though, I would not be opposed to another JLo/RamRam deal for oursevles.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to remember that when we make a trade, we get something in return. I am not talking about dealing Romo for a AA backup catcher. I am talking about getting a B+ or better prospect as the centerpiece of a package. Anything less than that and he stays put. I think he is one of the best setup guys / ROOGY in the game (although, he has certainly graduated from his '10/'11 ROOGY roll).

No I get that, but again B+ prospects don't help us win in 2014. Romo and Affeldt and Scutaro do.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jokes... but I guess the important thing is we agree that we shouldn't be buyers.

Teams in the West are getting better around us we'll see what happens come the end of the season.

I BASICALLY agree that we should not be buyers. Talk to me again next week.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should chime in though, I would not be opposed to another JLo/RamRam deal for oursevles.

I had a pretty detailed response to badazzk9 but essentially it was this^ giving up the joe Martinez and bowkers of the org.

I may differ from many fans but I remain optimistic. I don't think major moves need to be made or key people need to be replace a la 2011 Beltran/Posey. One could argue a pagan replacement and I would agree there.

if there was any collection of guys to support when the odds say to sell, it's this group. The focus should be bullpen, easiest cheapest upgrade that helps the entire pitching staff.

Agree with Cal, it's the doggies that should be the focus.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a pretty detailed response to badazzk9 but essentially it was this^ giving up the joe Martinez and bowkers of the org.

I may differ from many fans but I remain optimistic. I don't think major moves need to be made or key people need to be replace a la 2011 Beltran/Posey. One could argue a pagan replacement and I would agree there.

if there was any collection of guys to support when the odds say to sell, it's this group. The focus should be bullpen, easiest cheapest upgrade that helps the entire pitching staff.

Agree with Cal, it's the doggies that should be the focus.

Yep, if we could have a 2010 type deadline, I'd be fine with it. Get a reliever to shore up the 6th/7th inning (Mike Gonzalez, Oliver Perez?), maybe a 3rd/4th OF type. Just a thought, maybe Brian Wilson makes return.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shulman tweets:

Talked to a rival front office guy today who confirmed that the #sfgiants' best trade bait
is the pitching in the low minors, but he also said that with catching at such a premium, some teams will ask for Double-A catcher Andrew Susac in return for big-league talent -- if the Giants are buying at the deadline. Catcher Tommy Joseph was the main player sent to Philly for Hunter Pence last July, has had a rough year in the minors, including a month on the DL after a concussion.

The Susser may NOT be traded. That is all.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shulman tweets:

Talked to a rival front office guy today who confirmed that the #sfgiants' best trade bait
is the pitching in the low minors, but he also said that with catching at such a premium, some teams will ask for Double-A catcher Andrew Susac in return for big-league talent -- if the Giants are buying at the deadline. Catcher Tommy Joseph was the main player sent to Philly for Hunter Pence last July, has had a rough year in the minors, including a month on the DL after a concussion.

The Susser may NOT be traded. That is all.

Every year is different, but I can't remember one as weird as this, where whether we are buyers or sellers is in so much doubt this late in the calendar, where it might turn on each game...if we lose 2 to AZ maybe we become sellers? Win 3 and become buyers? It's crazy...

Off topic: the pitching has been set up as Gaudin, Cain, Bumgarner, Lincecum coming out of the break. Lincecum getting extra rest no surprise, but Bum 3rd? Must have to do with matchups or something...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every year is different, but I can't remember one as weird as this, where whether we are buyers or sellers is in so much doubt this late in the calendar, where it might turn on each game...if we lose 2 to AZ maybe we become sellers? Win 3 and become buyers? It's crazy...

Off topic: the pitching has been set up as Gaudin, Cain, Bumgarner, Lincecum coming out of the break. Lincecum getting extra rest no surprise, but Bum 3rd? Must have to do with matchups or something...

I think it's a workload thing. Bum went to the ASG, Cain bombed out in the first inning his last start. Timmah threw 145 pitches. And then there's effing Zeets....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, who knew Gaudin was French for "let me check out your rack..."

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a workload thing. Bum went to the ASG, Cain bombed out in the first inning his last start. Timmah threw 145 (148) pitches. And then there's effing Zeets....

Perhaps, but Bum didn't throw a pitch at the ASG, or even warm up.

Remember, it used to be effing Timmy, so maybe effing Zeets will get his act together too.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think we'll be sellers but I also feel we won't dismantle our farm to acquire some talent. For me my real concern is the freaking doggies. Over the last 25 games they were 17-8 while we were just the opposite 8-17. And that included a 3-1 finish with the Pods. LA scares me. I always thought they purchased a ton of talent and things were just not working for them. Injuries, morale or whatever. I think they have turned it around. If we are going to make it a race this year .... that's the team I think we will need to pass when all is said and done

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think we'll be sellers but I also feel we won't dismantle our farm to acquire some talent. For me my real concern is the freaking doggies. Over the last 25 games they were 17-8 while we were just the opposite 8-17. And that included a 3-1 finish with the Pods. LA scares me. I always thought they purchased a ton of talent and things were just not working for them. Injuries, morale or whatever. I think they have turned it around. If we are going to make it a race this year .... that's the team I think we will need to pass when all is said and done

Well yeah...and that's the kernel of optimism for the Giants...we too have a ton of talent, but 'things were just not working for' us. 'Injuries': yep we had those... 'morale': from what I can tell we've actually hung in there, doesn't feel like the team has quit... 'whatever': how about simultaneous slumps from just about eveyone not named Posey or Bumgarner.

So if LA can go on a 17-8 tear I'm sure we can too...not that we will, but we certainly can.

Agreed we won't strip the not-so-stacked farm this year.

SPORTSPROPHET

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I DO NOT WANT ANY MARLINS...ESPECIALLY IF IT OFFSETS MY POSEY CURSE!!

DK7000

Busting Posey's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but Bum didn't throw a pitch at the ASG, or even warm up.

Remember, it used to be effing Timmy, so maybe effing Zeets will get his act together too.

Or maybe Vogelsong will push effing Zeets out of the rotation for good when he returns?