• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Jahweh, tzill. Take it easy, man....

Cmon, man. 40 post wonder doyerfan shows up on the board with "you should trade one of the most celebrated players in franchise history to your rival, which happens to be my team" and you expect me to be CIVIL??

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why you wouldn't want to shed the rest of Lincecum's salary for the rest of the season while getting prospects from your rival. NEWS FLASH: The Giants are in last place, and they aren't about to turn things around soon.

I don't think the trade will happen, but that doesn't mean I don't think it'd work out for both teams. Dodgers need a reliever/starter. Lincecum could do either. Dodgers could take on the salary and save the Giants, what, 10 million bucks?

Guess what, you can even have Timmy back next season when he's a free agent this winter. Or you could keep him, make him a qualifying offer, and then watch as no one picks him up and he comes back anyways while the Giants don't get any extra picks or prospects out of it.

Do you have any idea how Qualifying Offers work, or are you just another interweb screecher?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should I stop rooting for my 49ers? They are the team of my childhood. I had posters of Joe Montana and Jerry Rice on my bedroom wall when I was in pre-school.

Yeah, it's the Dodgers fans who have no class... :lame:

You should stop rooting for the niners b/c you have doyerstink on you. Now please, go away.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should stop rooting for the niners b/c you have doyerstink on you. Now please, go away.

Tzill you are such a child... go outside make some real friends.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon, man. 40 post wonder doyerfan shows up on the board with "you should trade one of the most celebrated players in franchise history to your rival, which happens to be my team" and you expect me to be CIVIL??

Why not? Would you be nicer to a Dodger fan with 2,000 posts? Why can't a fan of the Dodgers get along with a fan of the Giants?

No player is safe from being traded, there's always an asking price (even if it might be astronomical for a guy like Kershaw, Stanton, etc.).

Do you have any idea how Qualifying Offers work, or are you just another interweb screecher?

Yes I do. I know that if Timmy costs a first round pick, only an idiotic team would sign him. Which is why he'd end up coming back to the Giants (they are the only team that doesn't give up a pick).

I like a baseball team from one city, but then a football team from another? Oh heavens, no! The calamity!

As to what the Dodgers would give up... Not much. Lincecum would be just a two-three month rental with a huge amount of money on his contract. I suppose the Dodgers would take on all of the remaining salary, plus throw in a handful of prospects - maybe one guy out of the Top 10 prospects (closer to the back half, like 5-10 in the system, since Lincecum has been under preforming for the last 18 months), and then a random minor leaguer neither of us knows much about. Typical deal for a reliever.

Lincecum is not Matt Garza, so it would be foolish to expect the kind of haul the Cubs got for him.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why you wouldn't want to shed the rest of Lincecum's salary for the rest of the season while getting prospects from your rival. NEWS FLASH: The Giants are in last place, and they aren't about to turn things around soon.

I don't think the trade will happen, but that doesn't mean I don't think it'd work out for both teams. Dodgers need a reliever/starter. Lincecum could do either. Dodgers could take on the salary and save the Giants, what, 10 million bucks?

Guess what, you can even have Timmy back next season when he's a free agent this winter. Or you could keep him, make him a qualifying offer, and then watch as no one picks him up and he comes back anyways while the Giants don't get any extra picks or prospects out of it.

Hypothetically who would the Dodgers trade in return?

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in world would the Giants and Dodgers make a Lincecum trade..?

Just think about it for one second, dodger fan...

not now at least and not with one of the most respected Giant.

The only trades I could ever think of involving these rivals was Cory Snyder and maybe Candy Maldonado? Not faces of the franchises.

it was a silly suggestion to begin with, given the direct competition between these two teams

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with Anthem. The Giants FO would sooner trade with the Snakes than the doggies or I's.

It is a rivalry. You don't help your rival win a ring.

As far as to trade, or not to trade...

If we were to keep Timmeh or Pence, we would have the QO, which would lessen their market, thus dropping their price.

If we were to trade them, then attempt to resign them, their markets would be unblocked, so their price-tags would be higher.

The FO would need to weigh the potential $ saved in salary paid/not paid this year against the savings of the QO option (assuming a resign).

Lots of strategy involved in the QO...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't we send the dogs a PH essentially for free a few years back?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hypothetically who would the Dodgers trade in return?
See this I added on later (with a few corrections):

As to what the Dodgers would give up... Not much. Lincecum would be just a two-three month rental with a huge amount of money on his contract. I suppose the Dodgers would take on all of the remaining salary, plus throw in a handful of prospects - maybe one guy out of the Top 10 prospects (closer to the back half, like 5-10 in the system, since Lincecum has been under preforming for the last 18 months), and then a random minor leaguer neither of us knows much about. Typical deal for a rental.

Lincecum is not Matt Garza, so it would be foolish to expect the kind of haul the Cubs got for him.

Why in world would the Giants and Dodgers make a Lincecum trade..?

They won't. But "Why would they?" The same as any team: you make a deal because both sides would benefit. Giants get salary relief and a handful of young players, Dodgers get a guy who can help in the pennant chase this year.

Just think about it for one second, dodger fan...

not now at least and not with one of the most respected Giant.

The only trades I could ever think of involving these rivals was Cory Snyder and maybe Candy Maldonado? Not faces of the franchises.

it was a silly suggestion to begin with, given the direct competition between these two teams

Well sure it wouldn't be a popular trade idea with the fans, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't make baseball sense. You let a guy go for the last two months you have him on contract. There is absolutely nothing stopping the Giants from bringing him back next year and beyond if they traded him. The Giants are effectively out of it this year (sorry to break it to you), so it's not a bad idea to trade away pieces this year for others that can help you next year and beyond.

I don't think it's a "silly" idea, I just think that it's extremely far-fetched and unlikely. Division rivals almost never make trades, but then it's not exactly unheard-of either.

A player's popularity on with the fans should not be the sole reason for keeping him on the team. You guys are talking about qualifying offers... You know if that works out in your favor, he's not on your team anymore, right? Consider that notion while comparing the blasphemy of trading away a "fan favorite."

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brett Butler went to the Dogs, but I think he was a FA, not a trade. Also Hershiser was a Giant, but also a FA I think.

Let's not forget Jason Schmidt. NEVER forget Jason Schmidt.

If the Dogies want to overpay to get Timmy, we should encourage that. I love me some Timmy, but if he ain't done now, he will be soon, at least as a starter.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? Would you be nicer to a Dodger fan with 2,000 posts? Why can't a fan of the Dodgers get along with a fan of the Giants?

No player is safe from being traded, there's always an asking price (even if it might be astronomical for a guy like Kershaw, Stanton, etc.).

Yes I do. I know that if Timmy costs a first round pick, only an idiotic team would sign him. Which is why he'd end up coming back to the Giants (they are the only team that doesn't give up a pick).

I like a baseball team from one city, but then a football team from another? Oh heavens, no! The calamity!

As to what the Dodgers would give up... Not much. Lincecum would be just a two-three month rental with a huge amount of money on his contract. I suppose the Dodgers would take on all of the remaining salary, plus throw in a handful of prospects - maybe one guy out of the Top 10 prospects (closer to the back half, like 5-10 in the system, since Lincecum has been under preforming for the last 18 months), and then a random minor leaguer neither of us knows much about. Typical deal for a reliever.

No way that happens. Nobody would give up that much for Timmy.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This demonstrates you don't understand the QO system. If Timmy were traded, the doyers couldn't offer him the QO.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weez closing in on a deal, from Bob Nightengale:

Former #SFGiants closer Brian Wilson has 5 offers-from 4 NL teams and 1 AL team with #Pirates and #Dbacks considered strong front runners.

And the Snakes out of the running, per John Gambadoro:

Diamondbacks not in on free agent reliever Brian Wilson who had Tommy John surgery in April of 2012

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds snooping Gangle, per Jon Heyman:

#reds have inquired on hunter pence. seek a righty hitter. doesnt look like a match so far.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget Jason Schmidt. NEVER forget Jason Schmidt.

If the Dogies want to overpay to get Timmy, we should encourage that. I love me some Timmy, but if he ain't done now, he will be soon, at least as a starter.

I would want him on the Dodgers as a reliever.

This demonstrates you don't understand the QO system. If Timmy were traded, the doyers couldn't offer him the QO.

:L You're thick. I don't want the Dodgers to make a Qualifying Offer (where did you get that from?). My rebuttal to you was that the counterargument to not trading Lincecum is the Giants trying to receive value this winter via Qualifying Offer. Honestly, if I'm Lincecum and you make me a Qualifying Offer to stay on the Giants (~13MM for one year), I'd accept that deal. Timmy has shown in the past that he favors short term deals to longer ones, which is why he didn't push for more than a 2-year extension when he had the leverage to get a huge deal like the one Matt Cain got. Do I know your team better than you? Sheeeesh....

Agree with Anthem. The Giants FO would sooner trade with the Snakes than the doggies or I's.

It is a rivalry. You don't help your rival win a ring.

Even if the Dodgers get Lincecum, it doesn't exactly make them the WS favorites. They would still be the NL underdogs going into the playoffs.

As far as to trade, or not to trade...

If we were to keep Timmeh or Pence, we would have the QO, which would lessen their market, thus dropping their price.

If we were to trade them, then attempt to resign them, their markets would be unblocked, so their price-tags would be higher.

The FO would need to weigh the potential $ saved in salary paid/not paid this year against the savings of the QO option (assuming a resign).

Lots of strategy involved in the QO...

All valid points, but I don't think the qualifying offer would marginally drive down Lincecum's price as much as Pence. Timmy is not what he used to be (despite throwing a no-hitter). He's also going to be on the market at the same time as 42 other guys (extensions notwithstanding).

Look at this list of FA pitchers for this winter.
Major League Leaderboards » 2013 » Pitchers » Custom Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball

Lincecum is lower down the list than Chris Capuano. Feel free to rearrange the metrics to suit you. Moral of the story: Timmy won't have much leverage in Free Angecy, regardless of an attachment to a Qualifying Offer from the Giants.

ChinMusic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Kieschnick and Pill have been removed from the roster in Fresno. Trade incoming?