• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw some players are untouchable on the trade market, take Stanton, their owner ordered their gm not to trade him.

Shows how stupid he is.

You should never simply not listen. If the Twinks offered Bruxton, Sano, and Mauer (salary paid), he would not OK that deal?

Moron.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already covered why that is not the case. Do you read my posts? ALso, you don't get to field offers from other teams while you have the QO on the table. You need to decline it first.

You're showing your lack of understanding. Such a surprise considering the warm welcome you gave me. :L

So you're SERIOUSLY contending that Timmy's agent will have NO IDEA if there is sufficient interest out there to decline or accept the QO? Really?

Further, I've located nothing that says a player can't talk to other teams during the week he has to accept/decline a QO. I don't think that's the case but if so, please source it.

In any event, there's not a decent agent out there who won't have an idea of his client's worth, irrespective of whether he can "field and offer" from other teams.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing TheKnocka and Frenchy get designated.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're SERIOUSLY contending that Timmy's agent will have NO IDEA if there is sufficient interest out there to decline or accept the QO? Really?

Did you even bother to click that link I posted which had all of the 42 Free Agents Starters listed by their 2013 performance?

Lincecum is in the middle of the back if I'm being generous.

Further, I've located nothing that says a player can't talk to other teams during the week he has to accept/decline a QO. I don't think that's the case but if so, please source it.

A player can only be negotiated with after the World Series. A team has 5 days after the WS to make a qualified offer. A player has 7 days to respond accept or decline the offer once it is made.

Teams can sign free agents 6 days after the World Series.

I don't know how good your math is, but I think that 6 days is longer than 5 days.

Explaining Qualifying Offers: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
MLB Important Dates | MLB.com: Schedule

And yeah, sure a team can make him an offer during the 6 days a player has left to accept/decline, but I don't see why that matters. He'd still need to decline the QO in order to sign with the other club, so therefore that would be factored into the other teams decision making process.

In any event, there's not a decent agent out there who won't have an idea of his client's worth, irrespective of whether he can "field and offer" from other teams.

I'm not sure what that point has to do with my point. My point is that Timmy won't have leverage in Free Agency, qualifying offer or not. He's not that good compared to other options. He's going to be 30, so he's not exactly old, but he's been mediocre-terrible during the last two seasons as a starter.

His value is as a multiple-innings relief pitcher/swingman, and he's not such an elite relief pitcher as to warrant a contract greater than ~14MM per year.

Let me dumb all of that down for you:

• Tim Lincecum will not much leverage in Free Agency, with or without attachment to a Qualifying Offer
  • No team will sign Lincecum if he will cost a first round pick, so the Giants will not receive a player
  • If the Giants make him a Qualifying Offer, I think he would accept it based on his history and aforementioned lack of leverage. So that makes two reasons why the Qualifying Offer versus Trade wouldn't work out
  • Therefore, it is in the Giants' best interest to trade him now and receive one or two prospects from a contender.

Furthermore, I find that the Dodgers are looking for a reliever rental, and I think that Lincecum could fit that role nicely. He could also start a few games if needed. Having the option of using him to start or pitch out of the bullpen knocks two birds out with one stone for the Dodgers, and the Giants would save about 10 million bucks while gaining two guys who might be able to help out the Giants in the future.

Also, I know that teams rarely trade in the division. I know that this trade has about 0.01% probability of going through (or being considered by the big clubs, for that matter). I just think that it would benefit both teams and that it's a fun scenario to think about.

:suds:

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably just being redundant right about now, but I would much rather hold on to Pence because it would create another hole that needs to be filled next season. Let Blanco, Kiesh and Gary Brown split the ABs for the remainder of the season in CF/LF.....let Zito walk, possibly let Lincecum walk (after a QO).

It sounds to me like Pence wants to stay with the Giants, so a deal during the offseason might not be too painful $$$$-wise.

The Zito money can be used to fill the hole in LF if Kiesh and Brown are not an option. Pagan will be back next year, so Blanco can go back to what he is perfect for....the 4th OF role.

Just my thoughts......as this season dragggggs on. lol

dubabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Broncoincali, trading Pence would only make another hole for next year.

They'll have to still sign an OF and I rather keep Pence than overpay for another FA who we don't know how he would fit here.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The budget arrogance of this Dodger regime is really startin to piss me off..rubbing off on the fans which think they can get anything they want (which exactly the intention of Guggenheim)

No offense dodger fan but do you really think us Giants fans would take any assistance to your team kindly?

You may want to ask the A's regarding the goodwill of the Giants and their rivals haha

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The budget arrogance of this Dodger regime is really startin to piss me off..rubbing off on the fans which think they can get anything they want (which exactly the intention of Guggenheim)

No offense dodger fan but do you really think us Giants fans would take any assistance to your team kindly?

You may want to ask the A's regarding the goodwill of the Giants and their rivals haha

The Giants will not trade anyone of impact to either the Dodgers or the A's.

Simple fact.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you even bother to click that link I posted which had all of the 42 Free Agents Starters listed by their 2013 performance?

Lincecum is in the middle of the back if I'm being generous.

A player can only be negotiated with after the World Series. A team has 5 days after the WS to make a qualified offer. A player has 7 days to respond accept or decline the offer once it is made.

Teams can sign free agents 6 days after the World Series.

I don't know how good your math is, but I think that 6 days is longer than 5 days.

Explaining Qualifying Offers: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
MLB Important Dates | MLB.com: Schedule

And yeah, sure a team can make him an offer during the 6 days a player has left to accept/decline, but I don't see why that matters. He'd still need to decline the QO in order to sign with the other club, so therefore that would be factored into the other teams decision making process.

I'm not sure what that point has to do with my point. My point is that Timmy won't have leverage in Free Agency, qualifying offer or not. He's not that good compared to other options. He's going to be 30, so he's not exactly old, but he's been mediocre-terrible during the last two seasons as a starter.

His value is as a multiple-innings relief pitcher/swingman, and he's not such an elite relief pitcher as to warrant a contract greater than ~14MM per year.

Let me dumb all of that down for you:

• Tim Lincecum will not much leverage in Free Agency, with or without attachment to a Qualifying Offer
  • No team will sign Lincecum if he will cost a first round pick, so the Giants will not receive a player
  • If the Giants make him a Qualifying Offer, I think he would accept it based on his history and aforementioned lack of leverage. So that makes two reasons why the Qualifying Offer versus Trade wouldn't work out
  • Therefore, it is in the Giants' best interest to trade him now and receive one or two prospects from a contender.

Furthermore, I find that the Dodgers are looking for a reliever rental, and I think that Lincecum could fit that role nicely. He could also start a few games if needed. Having the option of using him to start or pitch out of the bullpen knocks two birds out with one stone for the Dodgers, and the Giants would save about 10 million bucks while gaining two guys who might be able to help out the Giants in the future.

Also, I know that teams rarely trade in the division. I know that this trade has about 0.01% probability of going through (or being considered by the big clubs, for that matter). I just think that it would benefit both teams and that it's a fun scenario to think about.

:suds:

So, your claim that he can't "field offers" from other teams while he's been QO'd is, um, how to put it? Um, DEAD WRONG? got it.

There is no reliever, except maybe Mo Rivera, who would get that much. You're conflating the QO with average salary per year. We can agree that there is probably no team willing to go 3/45. However, there may very well be a team that is willing to go 3/30, and Timmy might just think that's fine in lieu of 1/13. I don't know how good your math is, but I'm really hoping it's better than your logic.

Let me dumb it down for YOU:

1. Timmy, as a former 2x Cy Young winner with a no-no and a decent year to his credit in 2013, will have some leverage, especially in Seattle.
2. Timmy may or may not accept the QO and the Giants, I believe, would be OK either way.
3. It is unlikely that any team will offer enough for the Giants to give Timmy up this week. Stranger things have happened, but that ain't the way to bet.

Him becoming a doyer is just about the silliest suggestion I've seen in a long time.

You keep making claims and backtracking, though. :yahoo:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baggerly predicts BB9 to the Stros for Norris...

Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs 2m
I could see this. RT @hangingsliders I am NOT wishing this, but simply predicting a trade of Belt + to the Astros for Bud Norris.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More intrigue, per Baggs:

The Giants are playing this one tight, but I'm told it would be wrong to speculate Tanaka/Francoeur is the other half of the roster moves.

ChinMusic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Baggs via Twitter:
The Giants are playing this one tight, but I'm told it would be wrong to speculate Tanaka/Francoeur is the other half of the roster moves.

So if it's not both on their way out, gotta think it's one of the two along with a Pence or maybe Belt trade?

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure who on here might be from SoCal, but your first statement is so true.

Water cooler comments and sports radio down here have the Dodgers trading for Hank Aaron (in his prime) and the Diamondbacks version of Randy Johnson....LOL

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing Bagg's speculation out, would that mean in 2014:

C- Susac
1b - Posey
2b - Scutaro
SS - Crawford
3B - Sandoval
LF - Kieshnick
CF - Pagan
RF - Pence

Bench - Quiroz/Pill/Arias/Blanco/Peguero

SP - Bumgarner/Cain/Adams/Vogelsong/Lincecum
RP - Romo/Affeldt/Casilla/Lopez/Dunning/Mijares/Gaudin

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure who on here might be from SoCal, but your first statement is so true.

Water cooler comments and sports radio down here have the Dodgers trading for Hank Aaron (in his prime) and the Diamondbacks version of Randy Johnson....LOL

My buddy's wife is an LA transplant, as is a few other friends.

I'm sure every fan base gets a little out of control when their team is contending but some of fan's suggestions I just cannot take seriously.

As weird as it is, my dodger blue "hate" is rekindled with their ownership change and obnoxious spending.. and i kinda like it. It's replaced the overwhelming pity I've carried for them the past years.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw what everyone is talking about. Still want to keep Belt, wouldn't mind Pence being dealt

Trouble is the Astros won't take Pence for Adams...

For the Astros to even be considering BB9 shows what his value is, despite the pantshatting going on here.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trouble is the Astros won't take Pence for Adams...

For the Astros to even be considering BB9 shows what his value is, despite the pantshatting going on here.

Do we know we are getting Norris?

Belt still has high value. Great defense, still think he can hit well and become a good starting 1B. I get frustrated with Belt but have always felt he could be a good 1B