• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco Giants: 5 Trade Proposals That Will Provide Instant Help

Proposal #1: Giants receive SP Bud Norris, Houston Astros receive SP prospects Clayton Blackburn and Mike Kickham.

Proposal #2: Giants receive SP Ricky Nolasco, Miami Marlins receive SP prospect Martin Agosta and OF Mac Williamson

Proposal #3: Giants receive RP Steve Cishek and OF Justin Ruggiano, Marlins receive SP prospect Mike Kickham and INF prospect Joe Panik.

Proposal #4: Giants receive OF Alex Rios and RP Jesse Crain, Chicago White Sox receive SP prospect Clayton Blackburn, C prospect Andrew Susac, and OF prospect Gary Brown.

Proposal #5: Giants receive OF Josh Willingham and RP Glen Perkins, Minnesota Twins receive same package as above (see proposal #4 with White Sox).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Not sure that package is enough for Norris. It is in the ballpark, though, and I would be good with it. I suspect Norris may cost Crick, though. Crick may be emerging as a legit blue-chipper, though, so he may fall into the "not making another Wheeler-trade" category.

2) No effing way. Nolasco is rental. He is a 3/4. He is expensive. Agosta may be expendable as he is in the lower-tier of the uber-kids, but that does not mean he can be tossed aside for garbage. I suspect Mac is untouchable. His trade value right now is nowhere near his value to the team.

3) This one hurts, but it is close to a legit price. Not sure the G's are willing to part with Panik, though. Scoots is a defensive and injury concern moving forward, and Panik should be ready to push him by mid/late '14. The only internal alternatives are Arias and Abreau, and both of them have serious strikes against them. The return would be fair, though.

4) Not just no, but HELL NO!! Crain may be the bully-jewel on the market this year, but Rios' contract should offset some of that. Then we will part with 3 of our top prospects on top of that? No thanks. Blackburn is in the top-tier of the uber-arms; Susac may be the one that ends Belt's tenure with the club (through Posey moving to 1B); Brown should get his cuppo this year, and should compete for a reg job at the start of '14. Sure, Rios solidifies LF for a couple years, but he is expensive and could ALSO cost Herk. Crain also makes money, so it would handcuff the team in off-season maneuvering.

5) See #4. I am not as familiar with the contract statuses of these players, but I am against parting with that package without getting something SIGNIFICANT part in return.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Not sure that package is enough for Norris. It is in the ballpark, though, and I would be good with it. I suspect Norris may cost Crick, though. Crick may be emerging as a legit blue-chipper, though, so he may fall into the "not making another Wheeler-trade" category.

2) No effing way. Nolasco is rental. He is a 3/4. He is expensive. Agosta may be expendable as he is in the lower-tier of the uber-kids, but that does not mean he can be tossed aside for garbage. I suspect Mac is untouchable. His trade value right now is nowhere near his value to the team.

3) This one hurts, but it is close to a legit price. Not sure the G's are willing to part with Panik, though. Scoots is a defensive and injury concern moving forward, and Panik should be ready to push him by mid/late '14. The only internal alternatives are Arias and Abreau, and both of them have serious strikes against them. The return would be fair, though.

4) Not just no, but HELL NO!! Crain may be the bully-jewel on the market this year, but Rios' contract should offset some of that. Then we will part with 3 of our top prospects on top of that? No thanks. Blackburn is in the top-tier of the uber-arms; Susac may be the one that ends Belt's tenure with the club (through Posey moving to 1B); Brown should get his cuppo this year, and should compete for a reg job at the start of '14. Sure, Rios solidifies LF for a couple years, but he is expensive and could ALSO cost Herk. Crain also makes money, so it would handcuff the team in off-season maneuvering.

5) See #4. I am not as familiar with the contract statuses of these players, but I am against parting with that package without getting something SIGNIFICANT part in return.

#4) Crain is a FA next year, not handcuffing us at all (but then only a rental). Rios is Pence's replacement, because Pence is gone next year, you know this. he doesnt handcuff us w Pence he helps replace him. The OF next year is Pagan, Rios, Brown/Blanco/midlevel FA. i think Pence is better but Rios is cheaper going forward. I dont like the prospects discussed to give up either. But there should be a package that we can live with that gets us Rios. i think Crain will go elsewhere.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#4) Crain is a FA next year, not handcuffing us at all (but then only a rental). Rios is Pence's replacement, because Pence is gone next year, you know this. he doesnt handcuff us w Pence he helps replace him. The OF next year is Pagan, Rios, Brown/Blanco/midlevel FA. i think Pence is better but Rios is cheaper going forward. I dont like the prospects discussed to give up either. But there should be a package that we can live with that gets us Rios. i think Crain will go elsewhere.

I think my arguments have masked my actual belief...

I think we will get Rios and Peavey. Those two just make too much sense for us not to acquire. My arguments have been on cost.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a blow-up, but it doesnt deserve it's own thread either...

Perez down

Gillespie purchased

Pagan 60'd

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just don't see how one can say this with any certainty. We have no real idea how much the team makes, esp the TV deal, and therefore, how much they are willing to spend in total.

I don't see that any OF's in our system are ready to be a regular on a WS contender (that is the bottom-line criteria in my book) for next year, much less this one. We will, IMHO, need Pence AND a Rios-level player to compete, certainly this year, and likely next. We can likely afford Rios's salary for this year and next - then we'll make other plans, and build around Pence.

I agree that we don't need to muddy up the waters in some mega-trade that includes Crain or Peavy. Just get Rios for some mid-level prospect(s) so the ChiSox can dump his salary. We'll be glad to take him off their hands, because I'll bet we can afford him.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how one can say this with any certainty. We have no real idea how much the team makes, esp the TV deal, and therefore, how much they are willing to spend in total.

I don't see that any OF's in our system are ready to be a regular on a WS contender (that is the bottom-line criteria in my book) for next year, much less this one. We will, IMHO, need Pence AND a Rios-level player to compete, certainly this year, and likely next. We can likely afford Rios's salary for this year and next - then we'll make other plans, and build around Pence.

I agree that we don't need to muddy up the waters in some mega-trade that includes Crain or Peavy. Just get Rios for some mid-level prospect(s) so the ChiSox can dump his salary. We'll be glad to take him off their hands, because I'll bet we can afford him.

I guess I did overstate my certainty on that...I`m with you that they can afford both of them if they want to, and that I think it`s a good idea to have both It`s not like Rios would be here a long time. I was just responding to cal`s comment that RIos would prevent us from getting Pence signed. He will either replace him or be here with him, if we get him.

But I do think we can get Peavy too, and that we should. We need real arms this year and next, which Peavy would be. We can afford him this year and next with Timmy gone. Just anther bat isn't going to be enough. RIos is solid but not some big time Allstar type. I too would prefer Norris but I think he`d cost too much in prospects (then again, he`s a proven commodity and the prospects are only that...the odds of ANY of them making the bigs and being as good as Norris are slim, there are no can`t miss guys like WHeeler in our system)

I guess I`m saying we need one SP and one OF for this year and next, and if a perfect, realistic world I`d prefer RIos and Norris. Second choice, RIos and Peavy.

Get er done, Sabes!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I did overstate my certainty on that...I`m with you that they can afford both of them if they want to, and that I think it`s a good idea to have both It`s not like Rios would be here a long time. I was just responding to cal`s comment that RIos would prevent us from getting Pence signed. He will either replace him or be here with him, if we get him.

But I do think we can get Peavy too, and that we should. We need real arms this year and next, which Peavy would be. We can afford him this year and next with Timmy gone. Just anther bat isn't going to be enough. RIos is solid but not some big time Allstar type. I too would prefer Norris but I think he`d cost too much in prospects (then again, he`s a proven commodity and the prospects are only that...the odds of ANY of them making the bigs and being as good as Norris are slim, there are no can`t miss guys like WHeeler in our system)

I guess I`m saying we need one SP and one OF for this year and next, and if a perfect, realistic world I`d prefer RIos and Norris. Second choice, RIos and Peavy.

Get er done, Sabes!
:agree:

I tried to edit my last post, but it exceeded the time limit. I was going to say exactly what you said.

:lol:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd kick the tires on Lohse too.

With the very nice and surprising trade the Warriors just pulled off it just shows you never really do know how it wil shake out. Sabean is good at this, he'll do something. It'll be fun to see what.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd kick the tires on Lohse too.

With the very nice and surprising trade the Warriors just pulled off it just shows you never really do know how it wil shake out. Sabean is good at this, he'll do something. It'll be fun to see what.

I never even thought of Lohse. I will have to research him a bit to see what I think.

As for the W's trade, I don't follow bball, but it seems like a steep price to pay to drop salary. 2 firsts and undisclosed 2nd(s)?

Ouch.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never even thought of Lohse. I will have to research him a bit to see what I think.

As for the W's trade, I don't follow bball, but it seems like a steep price to pay to drop salary. 2 firsts and undisclosed 2nd(s)?

Ouch.

Dumping salary is a WAY bigger deal in the NBA with the cap, it's not just getting some deep pocket team to save your bank account, you literally can't add anyone without getting rid of contracts.

ANd they are going to be good so the #1 they gave up next year will be a lower round pick. And the other #1 was in 2017. Good deal for sure, they are now being talked about as a top 5 team in the West (SPurs, ROckets, CLips, Thunder the others)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whe nthe Dubs bought into the draft this year, did the money they spent for the pick count against anything, or did they just add talent equity essentially for free?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whe nthe Dubs bought into the draft this year, did the money they spent for the pick count against anything, or did they just add talent equity essentially for free?

That's a little above my pay grade, Heath or Cam might know how that works

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ricky Nolasco - S - FLA
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Dodgers and Giants have made the Marlins trade offers to acquire Ricky Nolasco.
The Dodgers are reportedly offering a pitching prospect, and are willing to take on the entire $5.7 million remaining on Nolasco's salary. The Giants are said to be offering a pair of pitching prospects, but aren't as willing to eat Nolasco's salary. With two offers already in hand, and other teams rumored to be interested in acquiring Nolasco, the Marlins should wind up with a nice package in return for the right-hander.

If it is one of Crick/Blackburn/Agosta I will hate Sabean

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ricky Nolasco - S - FLA
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the Dodgers and Giants have made the Marlins trade offers to acquire Ricky Nolasco.
The Dodgers are reportedly offering a pitching prospect, and are willing to take on the entire $5.7 million remaining on Nolasco's salary. The Giants are said to be offering a pair of pitching prospects, but aren't as willing to eat Nolasco's salary. With two offers already in hand, and other teams rumored to be interested in acquiring Nolasco, the Marlins should wind up with a nice package in return for the right-hander.

If it is one of Crick/Blackburn/Agosta I will hate Sabean

I cant imagine any of the Uber-Arms (Crick, Blackburn, Stratton, Mejia, Agosta, Escobar) going for Nolasco. He just doesn't bring enough to the table.

I can, however, see us dealing someone like Flores, Marlowe, Hembree or Blach as the center-piece, with Kick, Kamp, Johnson, Fleet or Gloor as the secondary prospect dealt.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant imagine any of the Uber-Arms (Crick, Blackburn, Stratton, Mejia, Agosta, Escobar) going for Nolasco. He just doesn't bring enough to the table.

I can, however, see us dealing someone like Flores, Marlowe, Hembree or Blach as the center-piece, with Kick, Kamp, Johnson, Fleet or Gloor as the secondary prospect dealt.

The guy who reported it when asked who was offering the more intriguing prospect said Giants are.

What scares me is that Sabean is asking for Marlins to pay for some of his salary, which would obviously cost us more

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we get another guy entirely but Sabean is the guy with the rings