• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough pill to swallow, but I am glad he won't be trying to fight windmills.

Yep. Hate to see another futile 2011 style deal or two. Let's just call it what it is, not our year.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Not sure that package is enough for Norris. It is in the ballpark, though, and I would be good with it. I suspect Norris may cost Crick, though. Crick may be emerging as a legit blue-chipper, though, so he may fall into the "not making another Wheeler-trade" category.

2) No effing way. Nolasco is rental. He is a 3/4. He is expensive. Agosta may be expendable as he is in the lower-tier of the uber-kids, but that does not mean he can be tossed aside for garbage. I suspect Mac is untouchable. His trade value right now is nowhere near his value to the team.

3) This one hurts, but it is close to a legit price. Not sure the G's are willing to part with Panik, though. Scoots is a defensive and injury concern moving forward, and Panik should be ready to push him by mid/late '14. The only internal alternatives are Arias and Abreau, and both of them have serious strikes against them. The return would be fair, though.

4) Not just no, but HELL NO!! Crain may be the bully-jewel on the market this year, but Rios' contract should offset some of that. Then we will part with 3 of our top prospects on top of that? No thanks. Blackburn is in the top-tier of the uber-arms; Susac may be the one that ends Belt's tenure with the club (through Posey moving to 1B); Brown should get his cuppo this year, and should compete for a reg job at the start of '14. Sure, Rios solidifies LF for a couple years, but he is expensive and could ALSO cost Herk. Crain also makes money, so it would handcuff the team in off-season maneuvering.

5) See #4. I am not as familiar with the contract statuses of these players, but I am against parting with that package without getting something SIGNIFICANT part in return.

That about covers it for me. Only Proposal #1 would make me happy.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy who reported it when asked who was offering the more intriguing prospect said Giants are.

What scares me is that Sabean is asking for Marlins to pay for some of his salary, which would obviously cost us more

That's exactly the point. Giving up better prospects saves money for going after an outfielder. I don't want Nolasco on that hypothetical, either, but the reasoning behind a similar move is valid. If the Blue Bottomless Budget of Chavez Ravine feels like they found the next great Giant-slayer (past Phone Booth performances support this theory), more power to them. They still play the games. It's the best part. Bring us Bud Norris!

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Hate to see another futile 2011 style deal or two. Let's just call it what it is, not our year.

I'm alright w/ some of the ChiSox hypotheticals, too. Nothing is lost until mid-September, at the earliest. It's the only part of these extremely long seasons that I enjoy. Otherwise, I'd just be twiddling my sport-enthused thumbs until mid-August. :)

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our division has gotten alot better and they are on the up swing appose to the giants team which is on the down swing. Its come time for the Giants to be sellers and deal players to teams on the cuff of the playoffs. Trade deadline is July 31 candidates to be delt: Pence, Sandavol, Scuttero and Timmy. IMO

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our division has gotten alot better and they are on the up swing appose to the giants team which is on the down swing. Its come time for the Giants to be sellers and deal players to teams on the cuff of the playoffs. Trade deadline is July 31 candidates to be delt: Pence, Sandavol, Scuttero and Timmy. IMO

Welcome to SportsHoopla. Sorry it is in the midst of this infuriating slump.

As bad as we are playing, we are only 5 1/2 games out. It is too early to abandon ship, IMO.

Sabes is right. We need to turn this around internally and quick. Then and only then should we consider buying help. If we don't turn it around in a week or so, then we should consider selling pieces that likely won't need to be part of 2014 and beyond. From your list, I can see dealing away Scutaro and Timmy to the highest bidder, except for the LAD's. IMO, Pence is part of the future as is Sandoval - I'm willing to give Senor Creosote one more shot to get in shape and stay in shape.

Again, welcome to SportsHoopla. We look forward to intelligent, spirited, humorous, and civil observations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Pence a free agent at the end of the season?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bright side to not being a buyer is that the prospects get to mature for another year. The system is producing keepers - let's hope that continues.

I still think if it came to it, we could get a pretty top-shelf prospect for Timmy on the open market. He's been pitching OK of late, and of course he's an FA in 2014. And he's got instant fan recognition.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to SportsHoopla. Sorry it is in the midst of this infuriating slump.

As bad as we are playing, we are only 5 1/2 games out. It is too early to abandon ship, IMO.

Sabes is right. We need to turn this around internally and quick. Then and only then should we consider buying help. If we don't turn it around in a week or so, then we should consider selling pieces that likely won't need to be part of 2014 and beyond. From your list, I can see dealing away Scutaro and Timmy to the highest bidder, except for the LAD's. IMO, Pence is part of the future as is Sandoval - I'm willing to give Senor Creosote one more shot to get in shape and stay in shape.

Again, welcome to SportsHoopla. We look forward to intelligent, spirited, humorous, and civil observations.

Thank you for the welcome. I usually roam the 9er board...

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad you agree with Scuttero and Timmy.. Scutts 37 and Timmy is losing it and a free agent this year...

Pence, I really hope he isn't a part of the future. I hated the trade made last year for him and he proved to be dead weight through the post season and for the remainder of that season. He is so over rated I just really don't like him. Plus he is a free agent this year

"Senor Cresosote" stay in shape? To stay in shape you have to be in shape, the only shape hes know is round.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers now finishing a deal to get Nolasco. Would send 3 small prospects, none upper-echelon and they would take all of Nolasco's salary.

Hope this gets done. Means we didn't give up prospects for him. I am happy with that

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodgers now finishing a deal to get Nolasco. Would send 3 small prospects, none upper-echelon and they would take all of Nolasco's salary.

Hope this gets done. Means we didn't give up prospects for him. I am happy with that

WTF is up with that? Don't they already have 6 or 7 starters? Are they simply collecting them?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why we would look to trade Pence or Panda. Panda, although FAT, still is a good 3b and is a decent hitter when healthy. Also, I don't think he brings back in a trade the value that he gives to this club. Same can be said for Pence. By saying that we want to trade those two, you take away 2/3 of our 3-4-5 hitters and frankly a LARGE part of our already limited offense. These guys aren't likely to fetch blue chippers. I guess I just need to see what some of the guys being thrown out as trade bait on this board can fetch. If we are talking solid arms and/or solid bats in return, great. If we are talking Panda for three B-/C+ prospects, screw that.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why we would look to trade Pence or Panda. Panda, although FAT, still is a good 3b and is a decent hitter when healthy. Also, I don't think he brings back in a trade the value that he gives to this club. Same can be said for Pence. By saying that we want to trade those two, you take away 2/3 of our 3-4-5 hitters and frankly a LARGE part of our already limited offense. These guys aren't likely to fetch blue chippers. I guess I just need to see what some of the guys being thrown out as trade bait on this board can fetch. If we are talking solid arms and/or solid bats in return, great. If we are talking Panda for three B-/C+ prospects, screw that.

I'm with you on Panda, we don't want to deal him as he's still young and reasonably paid. We should bench him though, 2010 style, since 2013 is done. See if we can get the fear of god in him and his belly.

Pence is a free agent after this year and I don't think we will re-sign him, he will cost way too much (not necessarily in money, but someone is going to offer him 5 years...). A team in the chase needing a bat would give up decent prospect or two for the rental, like we did with Beltran in 2011.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We are less than 6 games out of the division lead.There is no reason to panic.If you trade Pence,You are trading the spirit of this team.You are throwing in the towel if you do.He is the face of the 2012 playoffs for the Giants.Pablo Sandoval is fat.He is is fatter than I was when I started my diet.I am 5,11 and was at 280 lbs.He is not disciplined at the plate.Home plate or the dinner plate.I question his work ethic.He doesnt do the work to stay in playing shape and it shows.He has never played an entire season without going on the DL. He needs to go.But we have nothing at 3B without him.We need an upgrade at 3B,1B and LF plus at least 1 starting pitcher.But where do you find those upgrades if you trade Sandoval or Belt?We have all seen the list of SPs reported to be available at the trade deadline.What is there out there at 1B,3B and LF.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF is up with that? Don't they already have 6 or 7 starters? Are they simply collecting them?

Crapuano had to be replaced. Beckett's career is in question and Bills is hurt this year.... yet again...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are less than 6 games out of the division lead.There is no reason to panic.If you trade Pence,You are trading the spirit of this team.You are throwing in the towel if you do.He is the face of the 2012 playoffs for the Giants.Pablo Sandoval is fat.He is is fatter than I was when I started my diet.I am 5,11 and was at 280 lbs.He is not disciplined at the plate.Home plate or the dinner plate.I question his work ethic.He doesnt do the work to stay in playing shape and it shows.He has never played an entire season without going on the DL. He needs to go.But we have nothing at 3B without him.We need an upgrade at 3B,1B and LF plus at least 1 starting pitcher.But where do you find those upgrades if you trade Sandoval or Belt?We have all seen the list of SPs reported to be available at the trade deadline.What is there out there at 1B,3B and LF.

Completely agree with you on Pence.

I would be willing to give Sr Creosote one last chance. Call it that he has two strikes - one that he fell off the wagon from last spring, and two that he continued to gain weight this year. Three strikes and yer out. Set some nutrition targets NOW, some conditioning targets NOW, some weight targets NOW, and bench him if he fails to comply. He can lose a pound a week from now until the end of the year without starving himself or losing strength. Get back to 240, preferably less, by March 1. Something like that.

:nod:

Last edited by a moderator: