• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that the pantshat damn has been opened up for this season. I am not against that, I think it is well earned and deserved.

However, talking about getting rid of Bochy is BEYOND anything that makes sense. Does he have quirks in his style that I find maddening? Of course. But he is generally considered the best manager in the game today. There is no way we will find anyone else who even comes close to bringing to the table what he brings.

Let's shelf any "Fire Bochy" talk until 2016 at the earliest, OK?

Concur. Talk of firing Bochy only severely diminishes one's credibility. As stated before, while some of 2013 is on him, and the lineup error was boneheaded, his 2 WC's >>>>>>>> his faults.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that the pantshat damn has been opened up for this season. I am not against that, I think it is well earned and deserved.

However, talking about getting rid of Bochy is BEYOND anything that makes sense. Does he have quirks in his style that I find maddening? Of course. But he is generally considered the best manager in the game today. There is no way we will find anyone else who even comes close to bringing to the table what he brings.

Let's shelf any "Fire Bochy" talk until 2016 at the earliest, OK?

:agree:

But what's a 'pantshat damn'?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
popped in to see what ya'll were discussing......saw rios mentioned early in the thread :)

then scanned the rest after i posted :whistle:

That's it.

You are fired from being able to post on this board...

:whistle:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yea...

Completely overlooked in this shit-fest, Arias was DL'd today with appendicitis. Out up to 4 weeks (doubtful it will be that long).

Noonan back up.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yea...

Completely overlooked in this shit-fest, Arias was DL'd today with appendicitis. Out up to 4 weeks (doubtful it will be that long).

Noonan back up.

Overlooked becasue it's all academic to most of us now, it appears. Maybe a good thing, less chance of a mini-surge to turn Sabean from seller to buyer, inadvisedly.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mistake looked at the wild card game back. :whistle:

Of course, with our next 3 pitchers being Stoney McWashedup, King Slow Pitch, and Glue Factory, 9 1/2 out is possible after the Mets series.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all the players and coaches, almost to a man, say this speech was what turned them around and that they were lost without it. But this means nothing because you could see from your couch the he hit .212?

O...K...

Advertising hype... Media got wind of it and focused on it played it up. Pence was dead weight and they won in spite of him... The from your couch reference... Me and everyone else. Where did you see it on the bench?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Advertising hype... Media got wind of it and focused on it played it up. Pence was dead weight and they won in spite of him... The from your couch reference... Me and everyone else. Where did you see it on the bench?

My point was that you have a better insight to what worked and what didn't than the players and coaches?

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was that you have a better insight to what worked and what didn't than the players and coaches?

Just to speed this up to an end.. Ill agree to disagree with you. Hunter pence is a better "speech giver" than a post season "ball player".

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's too strong to say Pence was THE reason we survived in Cincinnati and went on to win the WS, but it's also going to far to say his speechifying and presence didn't help at all.

This is a game played by human beings not computer avatars of stats. Chemistry matters. It's why some teams assemble tons of talent (ahem, Dodgers) and don't win and others that don't look as good on paper win 2 of 3 World Series.

Also, the playoffs are a short sample size crapshoot, if Scott Rolen doesn't misplay that ball late in game 3 in Cinci we get swept out of the first round and they probably retool the team dramatically instead of stand pat.

So to sum up, Pence was a catalyst that helped us win the World Series...doesn't mean we should re-sign him for what the market will charge.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to speed this up to an end.. Ill agree to disagree with you. Hunter pence is a better "speech giver" than a post season "ball player".

In 2012 he was, no doubt. Short sample size however. Barry Bonds wasn't much of a playoff performer, until he was in 2002.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2012 he was, no doubt. Short sample size however. Barry Bonds wasn't much of a playoff performer, until he was in 2002.

Thats the beauty of the post season and sample size... Sample sizes shrink so you either shine or shrink in the post season. Only the "Elite" teams get in and get put under a microscope.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Id even say to raise the sample size in this category. Pence did little to help the Giants reach the playoffs. He was/is average at best in a Giants uniform.