• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id even say to raise the sample size in this category. Pence did little to help the Giants reach the playoffs. He was/is average at best in a Giants uniform.

Hey, I'm in the 'trade him and don't re-sign' camp with Pence, I'm just saying you are being kind of harsh. We did win the damn thing...

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the beauty of the post season and sample size... Sample sizes shrink so you either shine or shrink in the post season. Only the "Elite" teams get in and get put under a microscope.

For sure...and the Giants showed a ton of heart under the microscope by coming back and winning 3 straight in Cincinnati, and Pence was a big part of that heart.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id even say to raise the sample size in this category. Pence did little to help the Giants reach the playoffs. He was/is average at best in a Giants uniform.

By that logic, AJ Pierzynski had some decent numbers for us. Maybe we shoulda re-signed him.

:noidea:

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I'm in the 'trade him and don't re-sign' camp with Pence, I'm just saying you are being kind of harsh. We did win the damn thing...

I will admit I drive the "I hate Pence Bus" But the fact is he is way over hyped only hitting .241 as a Giant and a whole lot of strike out (has done better this year, not much though). I hated the trade sending Nate Schierholtz and Tommy Joseph to the Phillies for him. Then see him under preform as a Giant and in the playoffs. He was dead weight and we did win the thing just in spite of Pence's performance.

Also, Nate is having a very decent season for someone who was a write off and IMO is a better RF.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By that logic, AJ Pierzynski had some decent numbers for us. Maybe we shoulda re-signed him.

:noidea:

different scenario.. Plus he didn't want to play for the Giants.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will admit I drive the "I hate Pence Bus" But the fact is he is way over hyped only hitting .241 as a Giant and a whole lot of strike out (has done better this year, not much though). I hated the trade sending Nate Schierholtz and Tommy Joseph to the Phillies for him. Then see him under preform as a Giant and in the playoffs. He was dead weight and we did win the thing just in spite of Pence's performance.

Also, Nate is having a very decent season for someone who was a write off and IMO is a better RF.

Comparing Pence (hitting @ AT&T for a "contender") and Nate (hitting in the "friendly confines" for a non-contender) is not fair. Contention, org execution of contention, breeds pressure. On top of that, hitting in arguably the toughest park to hit in breeds pressure as well.

At the time of the trade last year, I posed the question of who would put up better numbers from that point moving forward, Nate or Pence, and the discussion was not one-sided saying Pence would out perform Nate. But park factors have a LOT to do with that.

Are you proposing that if given the opportunity, we should trade Pence to the cubs for Nate, one-up?

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing Pence (hitting @ AT&T for a "contender") and Nate (hitting in the "friendly confines" for a non-contender) is not fair. Contention, org execution of contention, breeds pressure. On top of that, hitting in arguably the toughest park to hit in breeds pressure as well.

At the time of the trade last year, I posed the question of who would put up better numbers from that point moving forward, Nate or Pence, and the discussion was not one-sided saying Pence would out perform Nate. But park factors have a LOT to do with that.

Are you proposing that if given the opportunity, we should trade Pence to the cubs for Nate, one-up?

The trade wasn't just for Nate it was also for Tommy Joseph. Also no one played RF like Nate did in that park with that strong of an arm. Pence was a liability in the out field at the time in Phillie and went on a radio station and addressed it. The Giants as a team had amazing pitching and stunning Defense which what has kept them going the past 3 years. Going back would I make the trade? Not then not now.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure...and the Giants showed a ton of heart under the microscope by coming back and winning 3 straight in Cincinnati, and Pence was a big part of that heart.

Giving non measurable stats like Heart, a Speech, or Look and saying it was the reason for anything when stats show different is like explaining Christianity to an Atheist its not going to work, or vise verse.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, I completely disagree with your take, but I respect your take. I like having some new ideas here. These guys have been getting dull lately

:boink:

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta say, I completely disagree with your take, but I respect your take. I like having some new ideas here. These guys have been getting dull lately

:boink:

It's what makes all of this fun!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another tough one last night (this morning). We've said that a lot lately, too often actually. But I'm even more sure Sabean will not give up anything of value this year, and will focus more on 2014.

The pitching has actually gotten a bit better (Cain notwithstanding). Timmy looks like he's pitching for his Seattle contract. It's entirely the offense, everyone except Posey is pressing, trying to hit 5 run HRs, etc. It's 2011 again except the injuries are to other players and we have a better team, they just aren't performing to their career norms. And that's the story of 2013.

Maybe we're an even-numbered year team? I'll take a ring every other year...

:10:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]354688223936659456[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

edit: I fixed the tags for ya, Mays

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, Cal. How did you do that? I tried a couple icons to no avail.

Use the tool that looks like a globe with an infinite symbol beneath it. Clear out the default text that is in the pop-up, then paste away.