• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice to know the Sox will be buyers not sellers this year.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just know some were talking about Rios and Peavy as 2014 guys so passing it along

But that was only in the context of us being buyers in 2013, and if we acquired Peavy and/or Rios as part of that, that would have forced us to take on their 2014 contracts.

We sure aren't going after them now, and shouldn't in the off-season now either.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Use the tool that looks like a globe with an infinite symbol beneath it. Clear out the default text that is in the pop-up, then paste away.

Thanks!

:yahoo:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the pieces I was hoping we could turn into a prospect or two just turned into a sexual predator.

Is there anything more that can happen this year?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Immediate changes that "need" to happen within a week or so...

1) 15-DL Cain. Let him breath. Let him find himself.

2) 60-DL Scutaro. Shut him down for the year. He needs to rest his back and get his pinky fixed. See you in March.

3) Bench Sandoval. He needs to be slapped. I have no idea what else would work.

4) Trade Gaudin ASAP!! If we can get a 20% coupon to Sizzler, TAKE IT.

5) Sign or trade Pence. No reason to wait anymore. Shit or wipe.

6) Trade Timmeh. He has been pitching well again. Maybe well enough to get a B+/A- prospect.

7) Shop Affeldt/Romo/Blanco. Romo may cost more than teams are willing to pay, but we have to actively shop him to re-stock. Blanco and Affeldt are nice pieces, but I doubt we would get enough to make it worth while.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2) 60-DL Scutaro. Shut him down for the year. He needs to rest his back and get his pinky fixed. See you in March.

6) Trade Timmeh. He has been pitching well again. Maybe well enough to get a B+/A- prospect.

7) Shop Affeldt/Romo/Blanco. Romo may cost more than teams are willing to pay, but we have to actively shop him to re-stock. Blanco and Affeldt are nice pieces, but I doubt we would get enough to make it worth while.

Agreed. No reason for Moped to be permanently scarred by this crappy season.

I'd add

8) Shake up the coaches by reassigning/dismissing Bam Bam. The hitters have regressed under his watch, and that is simply not acceptable. The Giants have not been a good hitting team for several years, and they need a better hitting coach. Someone has to take the fall for the .202 average with RISP since May 18.

9) If we are going to lose, let's bring up some of the AAA players to give them experience. Kieschnick, Monell, Brown and Hembree. We need a live arm in the bully, a backup catcher who can hit, and a couple OF's. Frenchy is NOT the answer, nor the future.

10) Say adios to Towers.

11) Also 15 day DL Arias. There is no reason to keep him on the bench if he cannot play.

With all the injuries, I am puzzled why we keep carrying guys who are obviously hurt, and their play is affected by it (Moped, Stamos, Arias, etc). If the injury looks like it will need some time, use the time and get them healthy.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea was/is to keep putting the best team you can (oy) out there and hope they catch fire before the deadline and then you add a piece or two, etc.

But now even Sabean has to realize that's not happening. So I imagine a lot of these moves to the DL and so on will happen.

As far as firing Bam Bam, sure, why not, I don't happen to think it will matter much but it would send a message of some kind, I guess. I don't think hitting coaches matter much to most players. And we only know what we see, as I've mentioned before the brass sees all we do and 10x more, they have relationships with people, etc.

We're all like this :lm: now but when all is said and done I still trust the guys in charge to figure out how to deal with the situation...deal with meaning for 2014, not to try to salvage 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. No reason for Moped to be permanently scarred by this crappy season.

I'd add

8) Shake up the coaches by reassigning/dismissing Bam Bam. The hitters have regressed under his watch, and that is simply not acceptable. The Giants have not been a good hitting team for several years, and they need a better hitting coach. Someone has to take the fall for the .202 average with RISP since May 18.

9) If we are going to lose, let's bring up some of the AAA players to give them experience. Kieschnick, Monell, Brown and Hembree. We need a live arm in the bully, a backup catcher who can hit, and a couple OF's. Frenchy is NOT the answer, nor the future.

10) Say adios to Towers.

11) Also 15 day DL Arias. There is no reason to keep him on the bench if he cannot play.

With all the injuries, I am puzzled why we keep carrying guys who are obviously hurt, and their play is affected by it (Moped, Stamos, Arias, etc). If the injury looks like it will need some time, use the time and get them healthy.

Dude, that is SOOO July 9th....

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1- Cain ok... Really doesn't matter at this point... if you count this season out.

2- Scutero on a 60 day DL? Umm no.. as high trade value and is worth to be delt....if you count this season out.

3- Sandovol send him to a boot camp.

4- Guadin.. Trade for?

5- Trade Pence.. I hate him.

5- Timmy trade to Seattle he is going to end up there eventually.

6- Shop everyone else besides Cain, Posey, and Bum.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- Cain ok... Really doesn't matter at this point... if you count this season out.

2- Scutero on a 60 day DL? Umm no.. as high trade value and is worth to be delt....if you count this season out.

4- Guadin.. Trade for?

Just joining in this convo. So you want to completely rip apart the entire team except for 3 starts, and one guy in the lineup?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4- Guadin.. Trade for?

Man, that shit is just dark

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just joining in this convo. So you want to completely rip apart the entire team except for 3 starts, and one guy in the lineup?

If the value is there in a trade for this team why not take the opportunity to make it?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the Giants as a team have been terrible, the board retains a wicked sense of humor. :clap:

We have to laugh .... not many other options open to us ..... I'm almost glad that this has turned into a 'quick death' ....... not sure how I'd deal with us being 5-6 out after the break and then continue to just play about .500 ball .... and never really close any ground ... just slowly slip farther behind.

This way we can look forward to 2014 and our discussions can be centered on competing again next year and some of the changes that we can possibly see coming. Much better than watching our team slowing sink in September and always looking for the rescue boat ... that never comes

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to laugh .... not many other options open to us ..... I'm almost glad that this has turned into a 'quick death' ....... not sure how I'd deal with us being 5-6 out after the break and then continue to just play about .500 ball .... and never really close any ground ... just slowly slip farther behind.

This way we can look forward to 2014 and our discussions can be centered on competing again next year and some of the changes that we can possibly see coming. Much better than watching our team slowing sink in September and always looking for the rescue boat ... that never comes

Agreed, another worse scenario is we play just well enough to cause Sabean to give up some prospects to be a buyer, then fall short anyway. Now that's impossible. Baseball does this every year, some team that's 'supposed to' be good isn't (injuries, slumps, etc: us, Washington?, Anaheim?) and some team(s) is a big surprise (Cleveland? Colorado? Boston?)

It's our turn this year to be the surprise underperformers. It happens. As I've mentioned, and I think we mostly agree, winning 2 of the last 3 rings makes a bad year easier to take.