• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was pretty much "done" after us. IIRC, he caught on with Texas as a minor-league FA. The fact that he got a second wind and tacked on a few more semi-decent years was a shock, and is one of those things that happens.

Kinda like Vogey.

You can't blame the org for moving on from Omar (not saying you are "blaming).

But that's kinda the point, he was done but he was still a fan favorite in the clubhouse and for his defense. Instead of riding him they chose to go after some production.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's pretty clear that if they don't contend, then you are wrong. Pretty simple, most of us think we'll be in the mix next year, and you dont. nothing wrong with that.

So if the FO agreed with you that we don't have a playoff team core that just needs one or two tweaks, why wouldnt they tear it down and try to build a future contender? Or are you saying that we will contend next year, but only after they make some major changes in the offseason? not being argumentative, trying to figure out where you're at. if you dont think we're a tweak or two away, explain why you wouldnt deal everyone but those 3 to start over?

Because the FO has to play for multiple bottom lines and objectives. I agree with Marco in that on one hand they need to make it at least look like they want to contend to put fannies in the seats and viewers in front of the TV.

And they truly can contend in 2014, but the coin will have to come up heads on a lot of variables simultaneously:

Cain will have to revert to AS form.

Vogey will have to pitch acceptably well for the whole year.

Replacements for Zito and likely Timmy will have to be adequate.

Some hitters in the OF will have to emerge.

Scutaro will have to continue to play well at age 38.

Panda will need to stay in shape and be healthy.

The aging bullpen will have to hold it together.

Crawford, Belt will need to continue to develop.

etc, etc

I'm not saying all of this can't happen, but that's a lot of coin flips that need to pretty much all come up heads. In my experience, when a lot of things have to happen like this all at once, they usually don't. Remember, the last three games notwithstanding, we suck pretty bad right now. A lot of good things have to happen just for us to play .500 ball, much less be a contender.

But we don't need to go into Type A bipolar disorder bunker mentality nanomanagement and blow up the team save for a few players. Besides, except for Posey, Cain, Bum, and likely Panda and Craw (the players we want to keep), we likely couldn't get any franchise-changing high draft picks or prospects for anyone else on our team. So you do what the FO is doing - which is not a lot right now because there isn't much they can do, and see what opportunities develop in the off-season.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the FO has to play for multiple bottom lines and objectives. I agree with Marco in that on one hand they need to make it at least look like they want to contend to put fannies in the seats and viewers in front of the TV.

And they truly can contend in 2014, but the coin will have to come up heads on a lot of variables simultaneously:

Cain will have to revert to AS form.

Vogey will have to pitch acceptably well for the whole year.

Replacements for Zito and likely Timmy will have to be adequate.

Some hitters in the OF will have to emerge.

Scutaro will have to continue to play well at age 38.

Panda will need to stay in shape and be healthy.

The aging bullpen will have to hold it together.

Crawford, Belt will need to continue to develop.

etc, etc

I'm not saying all of this can't happen, but that's a lot of coin flips that need to pretty much all come up heads. In my experience, when a lot of things have to happen like this all at once, they usually don't. Remember, the last three games notwithstanding, we suck pretty bad right now. A lot of good things have to happen just for us to play .500 ball, much less be a contender.

But we don't need to go into Type A bipolar disorder bunker mentality nanomanagement and blow up the team save for a few players. Besides, except for Posey, Cain, Bum, and likely Panda and Craw (the players we want to keep), we likely couldn't get any franchise-changing high draft picks or prospects for anyone else on our team. So you do what the FO is doing - which is not a lot right now because there isn't much they can do, and see what opportunities develop in the off-season.

The bolded is pantshatty. To win the WS next year, we need a number of things to go well, but to get into the playoffs, we really don't. Of those 8 things, I'd say about 5 need to go right (and I'd expect that). If all 8 go well, we'll be in the WS.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bolded is pantshatty.

a_few_good_men_jack_nicholson.jpg

"What is this ?!? I'm being charged with a crime ?!?!? This is funny."