• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would want him on the Dodgers as a reliever.

:L You're thick. I don't want the Dodgers to make a Qualifying Offer (where did you get that from?). My rebuttal to you was that the counterargument to not trading Lincecum is the Giants trying to receive value this winter via Qualifying Offer. Honestly, if I'm Lincecum and you make me a Qualifying Offer to stay on the Giants (~13MM for one year), I'd accept that deal. Timmy has shown in the past that he favors short term deals to longer ones, which is why he didn't push for more than a 2-year extension when he had the leverage to get a huge deal like the one Matt Cain got. Do I know your team better than you? Sheeeesh....

Even if the Dodgers get Lincecum, it doesn't exactly make them the WS favorites. They would still be the NL underdogs going into the playoffs.

All valid points, but I don't think the qualifying offer would marginally drive down Lincecum's price as much as Pence. Timmy is not what he used to be (despite throwing a no-hitter). He's also going to be on the market at the same time as 42 other guys (extensions notwithstanding).

Look at this list of FA pitchers for this winter.
Major League Leaderboards » 2013 » Pitchers » Custom Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball

Lincecum is lower down the list than Chris Capuano. Feel free to rearrange the metrics to suit you. Moral of the story: Timmy won't have much leverage in Free Angecy, regardless of an attachment to a Qualifying Offer from the Giants.

That's exactly the point; we'd have to get more value than a sandwich pick to trade him. I think we agree there aren't going to be any teams that will do that. As for him taking the QO, maybe, maybe not. Some team will offer him 2-3 years and he'll have to weigh that against $13MM from the Giants. The Giants will be perfectly fine with Tim on a one year $13MM deal if he accepts. So, again: why would we trade Tim to the doyers and why would they give us "a handful of prospects" to acquire him?

Answer: they wouldn't, and the trade suggestion is silly.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon, man. 40 post wonder doyerfan shows up on the board with "you should trade one of the most celebrated players in franchise history to your rival, which happens to be my team" and you expect me to be CIVIL??

There's internet trash talk, and then there's going straight to wishing painful death by cancer to a guy on the first post...save that for his 5th post maybe? :)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's internet trash talk, and then there's going straight to wishing painful death by cancer to a guy on the first post...save that for his 5th post maybe? :)

Are you saying I'm premature? Or just precocious?

:whistle::whistle:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brett Butler went to the Dogs, but I think he was a FA, not a trade. Also Hershiser was a Giant, but also a FA I think.

Plenty ended up Dodgers via free agency...Jeff Kent, Jason Schmidt, etc. Trades are understandably very rare

ChinMusic

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Source? I'm showing them both still Grizzlies:

Fresno Grizzlies Team Roster | Fresno Grizzlies Roster

Via Twitter, Jim Nelson (a datacaster for the Grizzlies?)

@csnbaggs pill and kieschnick removed from roster trade soon?

@csnbaggs Fresno transactions, they were removed added surkamp and dunning. Deleted from active roster

And a reporter for CBS47, Andrew Marden
Brett Pill and Roger Kieschnick have been removed from the Fresno Grizzlies' active roster. It would appear a Giants trade is in the works.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Shulman:

Henry Schulman ‏@hankschulman 3m
#sfgiants will call up Kieschnick and Pill for tomorrow's game in Philly, I've confirmed. @CSNBaggs first reporter they're off Fresno roster

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Baggarly ‏@CSNBaggs 15m
Confirmed: Brett Pill, Roger Kieschnick have been removed from roster at Triple-A Fresno. More likely they are being promoted than dealt.

TheKnocka DFA'd and either Frenchy or NotBobby, I'd guess...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via Twitter, Jim Nelson (a datacaster for the Grizzlies?)

And a reporter for CBS47, Andrew Marden

Hmmm...

Not sure what to make of this.

Maybe Peavey? Rios?

Not sure why they would deal kids for anything, unless they were sweeteners.

Another idea is that they are getting called up. Pence traded, Tanaka DFA'd?

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly the point; we'd have to get more value than a sandwich pick to trade him. I think we agree there aren't going to be any teams that will do that. As for him taking the QO, maybe, maybe not. Some team will offer him 2-3 years and he'll have to weigh that against $13MM from the Giants. The Giants will be perfectly fine with Tim on a one year $13MM deal if he accepts. So, again: why would we trade Tim to the doyers and why would they give us "a handful of prospects" to acquire him?

Answer: they wouldn't, and the trade suggestion is silly.

I already covered why that is not the case. Do you read my posts? ALso, you don't get to field offers from other teams while you have the QO on the table. You need to decline it first.

You're showing your lack of understanding. Such a surprise considering the warm welcome you gave me. :L

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although, if Kiesh is up, could mean Gangle has been dealt...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else having trouble with MLBTRADERUMORS? Site has not been about to load for me for about an hour or so.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Giants and Pirates can work out a deal for Pence.

Hell, if it is partially about the comp pick, we got a 2nd round sandwich pick in the competitive balance lottery that we can put in the deal.

The whitesox wanting 2 top prospects for Rios is a laugh riot imo, I mean who would even think about that?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw some players are untouchable on the trade market, take Stanton, their owner ordered their gm not to trade him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Giants and Pirates can work out a deal for Pence.

Hell, if it is partially about the comp pick, we got a 2nd round sandwich pick in the competitive balance lottery that we can put in the deal.

The whitesox wanting 2 top prospects for Rios is a laugh riot imo, I mean who would even think about that?

Meaning between 2 and 3? Unfortunately, our current regime has not shown to place much value on single picks (no matter where they are). They try to get value from wherever they are, but they have never played the pick game, so I doubt they would be interested in that.