• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLBTradeRUmors

The Diamondbacks have been shopping Jason Kubel and Ian Kennedy, according to Peter Gammons of the MLB Network (on Twitter). Gammons notes that the salary they would save by moving both players still wouldn't be enough to offset the acquisition of Jake Peavy, a favorite of Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers. Both Kubel and Kennedy have struggled in 2013.

Would we be interested in Kennedy? He's only 28, and has had some good seasons. He's owed $4.25 mill this year, and is arb eligible in 2016.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From MLB TradeRumors

7:10pm: The Pirates and Giants are both "serious suitors" for Wilson, who appears close to signing soon, according to Scott Miller of CBS Sports. Miller adds that the Diamondbacks and Dodgers have some level of interest as well, and he notes that Wilson "has an affinity for Los Angeles." The Phillies were also thought to have interest prior to the six-game skid that has pushed them firmly into their stance as sellers.

I don't know, I think our bridges have been burned with Bweezy.

The bridges cannot be burned when Wilson gives the team (Raggs in particular) a private workout before showing off to any other teams, in our own backyard too (whereas he is making other teams come see him in LA).

I think we are in the mix, but with the Pirates closer going down, I wouldn't be surprised if B-Weez goes East, where he has Boston ties.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The budget arrogance of this Dodger regime is really startin to piss me off..rubbing off on the fans which think they can get anything they want (which exactly the intention of Guggenheim)

No offense dodger fan but do you really think us Giants fans would take any assistance to your team kindly?

You may want to ask the A's regarding the goodwill of the Giants and their rivals haha

Well, I don't expect the fans to like the idea of trading Lincecum to anyone, much less the Dodgers. That doesn't mean it couldn't be a decent baseball move, despite what your emotions are on the subject.

So, your claim that he can't "field offers" from other teams while he's been QO'd is, um, how to put it? Um, DEAD WRONG? got it.

That's not really the point where my argument was hinged, but I guess you'll take any "victory" you can (you know we're just discussion an idea I have for a trade, right? It's not a competition).

There is no reliever, except maybe Mo Rivera, who would get that much. You're conflating the QO with average salary per year. We can agree that there is probably no team willing to go 3/45. However, there may very well be a team that is willing to go 3/30, and Timmy might just think that's fine in lieu of 1/13. I don't know how good your math is, but I'm really hoping it's better than your logic.

If you're a baseball player, why would you turn down 1 year for 14 million in order to get 3 years for 20 something million? Come on, man...

[quote}Let me dumb it down for YOU:

1. Timmy, as a former 2x Cy Young winner with a no-no and a decent year to his credit in 2013, will have some leverage, especially in Seattle.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but don't get confused about that. He's not nearly what he used to be, despite one awesome game this year. He's not the dominate force he used to be. I am, by zero stretch of the imagination, a Timmy hater. I don't even "hate" the Giants (despite your feelings on the Dodgers). So I'm just being real with you, Cy Young or not, he's not what he used to be.

And SEATTLE?!?!?!?! Where are you getting this from? You know they have 4 awesome pitching prospects on the horizon, right? Seattle is not desperate for pitching. They need hitters.

2. Timmy may or may not accept the QO and the Giants, I believe, would be OK either way.

Hypothetical situation: You know for a fact that if you do not trade Lincecum, then he will accept a qualifying offer. You also know, for a fact, that if you trade him now, he will re-sign with the Giants for a reasonable, short-term deal this winter.

Are you still against trading him?

3. It is unlikely that any team will offer enough for the Giants to give Timmy up this week. Stranger things have happened, but that ain't the way to bet.

That's something we agree on. I never suggested that it was a likely trade scenario. If the Giants don't trade Lincecum because the asking price is too high, then they have only themselves to blame.

Him becoming a doyer is just about the silliest suggestion I've seen in a long time.

You can be dismissive all you want, but I still think that their could be a situation where both teams could benefit from that trade. :noidea:

You keep making claims and backtracking, though. :yahoo:

I don't know, man. I think I've been pretty consistent while you've been combative and immature. But hey, it's the internet right? If you want to get upset by a fan of a rival team suggesting a trade, then that's all you.

My buddy's wife is an LA transplant, as is a few other friends.

I'm sure every fan base gets a little out of control when their team is contending but some of fan's suggestions I just cannot take seriously.

As weird as it is, my dodger blue "hate" is rekindled with their ownership change and obnoxious spending.. and i kinda like it. It's replaced the overwhelming pity I've carried for them the past years.

Obnoxious spending.... They made like 4 signings with the new owners: Puig (it wasn't even the biggest offer on the table and everyone criticized the Dodgers for it at the time), Ryu (for about half the money Yu Darvish and Dice-K signed for), Greinke (I guess you can just be jealous of that one or something if you want to have a problem with it, it was a great sign), and then League (which has been a disaster for the Dodgers).

Dodgers also took 3 terrible contracts from the Red Sox, I don't know why those ones rub you the wrong way, and then Hanley Ramirez who was basically kicked out the door by his former club.

If you want to keep hating because of those deals, then be my guest. As to arguments about the "attitudes of fans" then I think this conversation is pointless. Every team for every sport has idiotic fans so I suggest you ignore the dumb ones and try to have decent conversations with the friendly ones.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not really the point where my argument was hinged, but I guess you'll take any "victory" you can (you know we're just discussion an idea I have for a trade, right? It's not a competition).

It's not about my "victory," it's about you being exposed for overstating your point with erroneous info. You were wrong. You got caught. Man up.

If you're a baseball player, why would you turn down 1 year for 14 million in order to get 3 years for 20 something million? Come on, man...

Really? I thought math was your strong suit? You don't need to take real analysis to know that 30>13.

1. Timmy, as a former 2x Cy Young winner with a no-no and a decent year to his credit in 2013, will have some leverage, especially in Seattle.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but don't get confused about that. He's not nearly what he used to be, despite one awesome game this year. He's not the dominate force he used to be. I am, by zero stretch of the imagination, a Timmy hater. I don't even "hate" the Giants (despite your feelings on the Dodgers). So I'm just being real with you, Cy Young or not, he's not what he used to be.

And SEATTLE?!?!?!?! Where are you getting this from? You know they have 4 awesome pitching prospects on the horizon, right? Seattle is not desperate for pitching. They need hitters.

Ahhh, the old shifting grounds fallacy, eh? Who said "he's what he used to be?" Not I, nor anybody else on this board. If he were "what he used to be" this wouldn't even be a topic. We'd be figuring out how to extend him long term. That wasn't the point, which is: he has some leverage. He could very well get 3/30 despite your pontificating to the contrary. Why Seattle? You don't know much about Timmy do you?

Hypothetical situation: You know for a fact that if you do not trade Lincecum, then he will accept a qualifying offer. You also know, for a fact, that if you trade him now, he will re-sign with the Giants for a reasonable, short-term deal this winter.

Are you still against trading him?

I've no idea what this hypo is trying to illustrate. What if he throws 4 more no-no this year and lowers his ERA below 3? Would he have leverage then?

That's something we agree on. I never suggested that it was a likely trade scenario. If the Giants don't trade Lincecum because the asking price is too high, then they have only themselves to blame.

If the Giants don't trade him, it's because the offers were too low, and they won't be "to blame," they'll either get a sandwich pick or a one year deal.

You can be dismissive all you want, but I still think that their could be a situation where both teams could benefit from that trade. :noidea:

I don't know, man. I think I've been pretty consistent while you've been combative and immature. But hey, it's the internet right? If you want to get upset by a fan of a rival team suggesting a trade, then that's all you.

You've been consistently illogical and farfetched, I'll give you that.

Obnoxious spending.... They made like 4 signings with the new owners: Puig (it wasn't even the biggest offer on the table and everyone criticized the Dodgers for it at the time), Ryu (for about half the money Yu Darvish and Dice-K signed for), Greinke (I guess you can just be jealous of that one or something if you want to have a problem with it, it was a great sign), and then League (which has been a disaster for the Dodgers).

Dodgers also took 3 terrible contracts from the Red Sox, I don't know why those ones rub you the wrong way, and then Hanley Ramirez who was basically kicked out the door by his former club.

If you want to keep hating because of those deals, then be my guest. As to arguments about the "attitudes of fans" then I think this conversation is pointless. Every team for every sport has idiotic fans so I suggest you ignore the dumb ones and try to have decent conversations with the friendly ones.[/quote]

You must be directing the rest of this toward someone else.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they doyers should trade Kemp to the Giants; there's something in it for both teams.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I don't expect the fans to like the idea of trading Lincecum to anyone, much less the Dodgers. That doesn't mean it couldn't be a decent baseball move, despite what your emotions are on the subject.

This is what you don't get. It would be a poor baseball move to assist you divisional and/or financial rivals. You cannot simply ignore that point because it makes some sense on other facets.

Maybe if you took the names off the front of the jerseys and then proposed your trade, it might work, but its seemed like you wanted your idea taken at face value.

If you want to keep hating because of those deals, then be my guest. As to arguments about the "attitudes of fans" then I think this conversation is pointless. Every team for every sport has idiotic fans so I suggest you ignore the dumb ones and try to have decent conversations with the friendly ones.

Oh I believe I've stated that all fanbases have their "special fans". Please read my posts thoroughly if you are going to comment on them.

The new ownership group needs to make a splash, I get that. I'm speaking directly to the change in attitudes of the LA fans that I knew before they expanded their wallets.

I hate the doggies because they're the lifelong rivals of the Giants and because of the spending in context and contrast with the what the previous ownership group did.

Individually, the moves may or may not make baseball/financial sense..collectively made by one franchise = obnoxious and it doesn't look like they are going to stop soon.

btw, there are other contracts you are forgetting but I think points have been made.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not about my "victory," it's about you being exposed for overstating your point with erroneous info. You were wrong. You got caught. Man up.

Ok dude. A play CAN sign while there's a QO on the table, but that affects the situation by a factor of zero. And if you really want to get nitpicky, there could be as many as 1-6 days in that window that a player can't receive official offers depending on the date that offer was given.

This still changes nothing about the overrall point which you've so gallantly jumped away from.

Really? I thought math was your strong suit? You don't need to take real analysis to know that 30>13.

No one is going to give a deal to Tim Lincecum for 30 million dollars. hahahaha

[Ahhh, the old shifting grounds fallacy, eh? Who said "he's what he used to be?" Not I, nor anybody else on this board. If he were "what he used to be" this wouldn't even be a topic. We'd be figuring out how to extend him long term. That wasn't the point, which is: he has some leverage. He could very well get 3/30 despite your pontificating to the contrary. Why Seattle? You don't know much about Timmy do you?

You listed 2x Cy Young winner on his credentials, so that's you. And if Timmy loves Seattle like you say, that doesn't give him leverage, that gives Seattle leverage. Nice point, hahaha.

I've no idea what this hypo is trying to illustrate.

I should have figured as much.

What if he throws 4 more no-no this year and lowers his ERA below 3? Would he have leverage then?

I would bet 100 bucks that he doesn't throw another one in his MLB career.

If the Giants don't trade him, it's because the offers were too low, and they won't be "to blame," they'll either get a sandwich pick or a one year deal.

You just love to repeat points that I already covered, don't you?

You've been consistently illogical and farfetched, I'll give you that.

Far-fetched, I admitted as much in those terms earlier. Illogical, hardly.

You must be directing the rest of this toward someone else.

Yeah... the person I quoted...

Anyways, this exercise has run it's course. Have a good night, fellas. I'm not going to split any more hairs with your doofus fellow fan. Enjoy having him represent you guys when he leaves his basement with SFG gear on. Unfortunately, he's probably a worse 49er fan so I don't escape unscathed.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmy is from Washington

A 2 time Cy Young award winner going back home might just be a bit marketable, wouldn't you say?

Maybe you're ignorant or maybe you're ignoring details for the convenience of your argument but you were doomed the moment you said a lincecum trade to the dodgers was a viable one.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok dude. A play CAN sign while there's a QO on the table, but that affects the situation by a factor of zero. And if you really want to get nitpicky, there could be as many as 1-6 days in that window that a player can't receive official offers depending on the date that offer was given.

This still changes nothing about the overrall point which you've so gallantly jumped away from.

No one is going to give a deal to Tim Lincecum for 30 million dollars. hahahaha

You listed 2x Cy Young winner on his credentials, so that's you. And if Timmy loves Seattle like you say, that doesn't give him leverage, that gives Seattle leverage. Nice point, hahaha.

I should have figured as much.

I would bet 100 bucks that he doesn't throw another one in his MLB career.

You just love to repeat points that I already covered, don't you?

Far-fetched, I admitted as much in those terms earlier. Illogical, hardly.

Yeah... the person I quoted...

Anyways, this exercise has run it's course. Have a good night, fellas. I'm not going to split any more hairs with your doofus fellow fan. Enjoy having him represent you guys when he leaves his basement with SFG gear on. Unfortunately, he's probably a worse 49er fan so I don't escape unscathed.

Yeah, man, whatever. Trundle on out....:lol:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark my words, Pence will be a Pirate tommorow, in a deal involving the comp lottery pick, Brandon Inge and Armando(the gimp) Rios and a random suspect :D

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark my words, Pence will be a Pirate tommorow, in a deal involving the comp lottery pick, Brandon Inge and Armando(the gimp) Rios and a random suspect :D

Who would the Giants end up getting?

Are you proposing the G's are getting Rios? Wasn't Inge released a while back?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inge released on July 23rd

Have no idea what the poster is proposing.

Which actualy means they have until August 2 to work out a trade for him.

Doesn't automatically DQ his idea.

Giants get Rios

Pirates get Pence

Sox get Inge, Pick, a B+ prospect

Not the worst trade idea I have ever heard of.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trouble is the Astros won't take Pence for Adams...

For the Astros to even be considering BB9 shows what his value is, despite the pantshatting going on here.

left-handed power hitters not named Barry don't do well at AT&T. Belt's HR power would benefit greatly by moving to Houston, as would his "value".

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which actualy means they have until August 2 to work out a trade for him.

Doesn't automatically DQ his idea.

Giants get Rios

Pirates get Pence

Sox get Inge, Pick, a B+ prospect

Not the worst trade idea I have ever heard of.

Just to be anal-retentive, as I do so well. Inge was NOT released - he was designated for assignment. As Cal pointed out, that means they have 10 days to try and make a deal for him (or another team to claim him off waivers).

But why in God's name would the Giants WANT Inge? So they could rest Pablo for the rest of the year? Inge would immediately be the absolute worst batter on the team the second he joined.

Or am I just being a HF - I mean, I don't see the point.

And explain how the Pirates could trade a Competitive Balance Lottery pick? They don't know if they will get one! There are 12 "Competitive Balance" picks total, and about 20 teams in the lottery. I haven't read anything that specifically disallows a team from winning more than one pick. Also, the odds of winning are based on the previous season's winning percentage - the Pirates odds should be < 50% that they will get a pick.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to be anal-retentive, as I do so well. Inge was NOT released - he was designated for assignment. As Cal pointed out, that means they have 10 days to try and make a deal for him (or another team to claim him off waivers).

But why in God's name would the Giants WANT Inge? So they could rest Pablo for the rest of the year? Inge would immediately be the absolute worst batter on the team the second he joined.

Or am I just being a HF - I mean, I don't see the point.

And explain how the Pirates could trade a Competitive Balance Lottery pick? They don't know if they will get one! There are 12 "Competitive Balance" picks total, and about 20 teams in the lottery. I haven't read anything that specifically disallows a team from winning more than one pick. Also, the odds of winning are based on the previous season's winning percentage - the Pirates odds should be < 50% that they will get a pick.

I took his word for it that they have one. I did not confirm it.

As for Inge, in my extrapolation, Inge went to the Sox (with the pick and a prospect). The Giants get Rios.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take Gregory Polanco or Allen Hanson if we are dealing Pence to PIT

I doubt we will get that level of a haul for him, but I would like Polanco. Not sure Hanson fits our system. Where would he pay? Is he good enough to push Craw?

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt we will get that level of a haul for him, but I would like Polanco. Not sure Hanson fits our system. Where would he pay? Is he good enough to push Craw?

I think we could get maybe Polanco for him (if Rios comes off the market)

Hanson has a good bat IMO, and nice power. Might be converted to 2B (doesn't have a strong arm)

I would take him over any 2B prospect we have without any sort of question

I also like Josh Bell