• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beard dominates, bums lose is the right response here

Of course vs the Giants, he's just another blue jersey until the games over.

Nothing but mad respect for Brian Wilson

He shoulda signed with the Yankees.

No one would have recognized him.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how I missed tha the lottery had already been held. Thx for the link!

So the pirates have just about the last pick - just before the third round. Sure, it's an extra pick, but ...

Trade value of that pick is as a sweetener only.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I root for guys I like to do well as long as they aren't playing against my own team. Kinda like I do in fantasy sports.

I've had personal friends (or at least, guys I knew in high school that went pro) play against the Dodgers - Alex Hinshaw was on the Giants, then Justin Germano was on the Padres. As long as they weren't against LA I rooted for them to have success. If they ever owned the Dodgers (they never did), then I would just be like "well at least it's someone cool like Germano instead of XotherplayerIdon'tlikeX."

All I know is that, for me, it's a lot less fun in sports to root for someone to fail miserably than it is to be happy for them to have success. There's a bunch of guys I like around baseball despite them not being on the Dodgers. For example, I have a ton of respect for Buster Posey ever since I watched him in the College World Series. I was bummed when the Giants got him, but it softens the blow of multiple SFG World Series victories when it's a quality human like that being the captain of the team.

Kemp, Kershaw, Uribe, now Wilson, Jansen are all guys I like on LA. All seem like genuinely great men. But I huuuaateeee Hanley Ramirez, and Grienkie comes off as a douche (based purely off what I've seen/heard in interviews). But I don't think anything would soften the blow of an LA championship, maybe just because one of my friends is one of the biggest LA homers ever and only shuts up about Kobe's rings if he's taking about the dodgers or Magic Johnson.

FWIW, I was glad Kershaw got his 2 Cy Youngs (and probably more) and I now would like to see Kemp win the 2011 MVP.

Defiantly agree with the bold part though. I feel like it is A) bad karma to root for a player to fail/get injured and B) just takes the fun out the sport. I enjoy the game itself more when guys are going good, baseball would be awful to watch 30 teams play like the Giants are right now.

A-Rod is the exception, fuck him.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking with my family about this earlier, and I don't know why it doesn't happen more in sports. Why when guys (who are free-agents at the end of the season) are traded do they never return to the teams that traded them, if they are in a good position. Pence is a great example, he has said he loves it in SF, and us as fans can legitimately see it. But if he's traded it's like it's a rule that he can't return to SF, based off past times in MLB. It's not like the NBA where teams hold bird-rights and can offer them more years and money. Anyway, if it makes us feel any better, even if we trade Pence he has said that he will consider breaking that unwritten rule.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking with my family about this earlier, and I don't know why it doesn't happen more in sports. Why when guys (who are free-agents at the end of the season) are traded do they never return to the teams that traded them, if they are in a good position. Pence is a great example, he has said he loves it in SF, and us as fans can legitimately see it. But if he's traded it's like it's a rule that he can't return to SF, based off past times in MLB. It's not like the NBA where teams hold bird-rights and can offer them more years and money. Anyway, if it makes us feel any better, even if we trade Pence he has said that he will consider breaking that unwritten rule.

Scutaro said just about the exact same thing in Colorado.

The Giants aren't the only org that players like to play for.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scutaro said just about the exact same thing in Colorado.

The Giants aren't the only org that players like to play for.

I know, and I'm not saying it's a shoe in. But the circumstances are a little different. Pence is coming off a title with the Giants, Scutaro was not. I remember Scutaro did say those exact things, and most of us at the time of the acquisition thought he was going to be as good as gone by the end of the season because of his words. If Pence gets traded, he could too have the same impact that Scoots had here and stay wherever he's traded.

Again, situations where guys go back to the teams that traded them months prior just doesn't happen. But I feel like Pence's is different. He never said anything about wanting to be an Astro for life, he never said anything about wanting to stay in Philly long-term. But he has, multiple times, said about the Giants he wants to be here long term. Hell, he said it days after we acquired him.

My gut still tells me though that he won't be traded tomorrow, though. This all may be a moot point.

Monsieur Candie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't think we'll make any moves tomorrow. Just a feeling.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I huuuaateeee Hanley Ramirez, and Grienkie comes off as a douche (based purely off what I've seen/heard in interviews).

Hard to blame you, the media doesn't do any favors for those guys.

FWIW, I was glad Kershaw got his 2 Cy Youngs (and probably more) and I now would like to see Kemp win the 2011 MVP..

Kershaw has only won the Cy Young award once.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, and I'm not saying it's a shoe in. But the circumstances are a little different. Pence is coming off a title with the Giants, Scutaro was not. I remember Scutaro did say those exact things, and most of us at the time of the acquisition thought he was going to be as good as gone by the end of the season because of his words. If Pence gets traded, he could too have the same impact that Scoots had here and stay wherever he's traded.

Again, situations where guys go back to the teams that traded them months prior just doesn't happen. But I feel like Pence's is different. He never said anything about wanting to be an Astro for life, he never said anything about wanting to stay in Philly long-term. But he has, multiple times, said about the Giants he wants to be here long term. Hell, he said it days after we acquired him.

My gut still tells me though that he won't be traded tomorrow, though. This all may be a moot point.

I can totally see Pence falling in love with the Rangers if he is traded there and they win the WS. He is from that neck of the woods. The Ballpark is also MUCH more hitter-friendly than AT&T. If he were to experience actually putting up good numbers again, the competitive athlete in him will not allow him to come back to the Giants.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to blame you, the media doesn't do any favors for those guys.

Kershaw has only won the Cy Young award once.

I'm off tonight, I'm not sure what I was thinking. Maybe he should have 2 by now, hell he could have 3. He'll probably win it this year, or Harvey. Thanks for the correction though.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can totally see Pence falling in love with the Rangers if he is traded there and they win the WS. He is from that neck of the woods. The Ballpark is also MUCH more hitter-friendly than AT&T. If he were to experience actually putting up good numbers again, the competitive athlete in him will not allow him to come back to the Giants.

Defiantly, same with the Pirates. Not as good of a hitters yard, but the team is in a great position and from all accounts it seems to be a fun clubhouse right now. But the Rangers have apparently pulled out of the running and the Pirates may have shifted gears to bullpen help.

There's probably not much point in speculating what is going through Pence's head at this point, he probably doesn't even know. Lots of things can happen. We'll have a better idea in 13 hours.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defiantly, same with the Pirates. Not as good of a hitters yard, but the team is in a great position and from all accounts it seems to be a fun clubhouse right now. But the Rangers have apparently pulled out of the running and the Pirates may have shifted gears to bullpen help.

There's probably not much point in speculating what is going through Pence's head at this point, he probably doesn't even know. Lots of things can happen. We'll have a better idea in 13 hours.

Would it be blasphemous for the Giants' owners to consider doing something more hitter-friendly about our right field?

:noidea:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would it be blasphemous for the Giants' owners to consider doing something more hitter-friendly about our right field?

I agree.

This org will never have success until they fix the park!

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

This org will never have success until they fix the park!

Dude. Can't you just start the day by warming up on your snarky comments? I am having to dry off my keyboard from the morning beverage over this one.

:suds:

Memo to Sabey Sabes: It is time to get it done today. Whatever "it" is.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude. Can't you just start the day by warming up on your snarky comments? I am having to dry off my keyboard from the morning beverage over this one.

:suds:

Memo to Sabey Sabes: It is time to get it done today. Whatever "it" is.

Um...so this comment to Sabean, which he'll surely read, is to remind him that today is the trade deadline?

Helpful!

:heh:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not blasphemous, but kind of pointless. Right handed power isn't really penalized that much at PacBell, although it surely does take away a few opposite field dingers.

On the radio they made a good point (fairly obvious too but worth mentioning): we will always have to account for the fact that free agent pitchers will take a little less to pitch here, and free agent sluggers will demand a little more, due to the park. Especially hitters in or nearing their prime. If they are old vets it's not as big a deal, which is why we always sign old vets.

But perhaps Sabean should just account for this, and try to develop hitters and get free agent pitchers, instead of the other way around? It will be cheaper overall to do it that way, underpay pitchers that want the stat boost, and develop your own hitters before you have to overpay them to come here.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pence tells you there would be a good chance even if we trade him he would seriously consider coming back as a FA. You trade him today. Take a few B prospects and try and bring Pence back as a FA

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Pence tells you there would be a good chance even if we trade him he would seriously consider coming back as a FA. You trade him today. Take a few B prospects and try and bring Pence back as a FA

I agree, but you don't overpay for him to come back. If he wants 4/60 sorry bro...
Partly for reasons I posted above...we will always have to overpay to get hitters in their prime to sign here. We need to sign FA pitchers, develop hitters.