• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official July 31 trade deadline thread

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabean has his work cut out for him this year. Most years it's pretty obvious by mid July if you need to be a buyer or seller, and thank Jeebus in recent years for us it's been buyers all the way. But for obvious reasons, it's not so obvious this year which way to go.

If you ever are going to have your faith in the brass tested, it's this year.

I don't think, whatever happens, we'll be sellers. We may not be buyers, but we won't be shipping Pence, Timmy, JLo, etc. out.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be floored if there were any non-minor deals done in the next couple weeks. This is San Diego we are beating upon. Not a Major League team.

And yet, I seem to remember a Miami team fitting that description coming to AT&T recently. That didn't seem to work out as well as these last three games....

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think, whatever happens, we'll be sellers. We may not be buyers, but we won't be shipping Pence, Timmy, JLo, etc. out.

I tend to agree, this is kind of where we are at. We might become buyers, but if things don't keep getting hot we still wouldn't dump a bunch of guys. We'd stand pat. We'll see!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be a buyer THIS MONTH, a few things need to happen, I think...

1) Pass the Rockies. Kind of trivial, but we need to be able to focus on only LA and Arz. If we are still looking up to 3 teams, we can not be buyers.

2) Go 6-4 on the upcoming "home stand". 2-1 against Arz (HUGE series); 2-2 against Cin (more important for the psyche than the record); 2-1 against the Cubs (gotta win the ones you should). 5-5 in that stretch, and I think JLo and/or Romo should be shopped.

3) Pick up at least 1 game on Arz. This will be TOUGH. Arz faces SS, SD and ChC in the same time period. If we can at least tread water, that may be enough.

4) Pick up 2 games on LA. LA faces Was, Tor and Cin in that time frame. That is a tough stretch.

1. I don't think where the Rox stand makes much difference. If we're tied with them we don't make a trade, but a game ahead of them we do? Seems like an artificial criterion to me.
2. Again, you're drawing a distinction with far reaching implications on a difference of ONE GAME. If we go 5-5 we're sellers, if we go 6-4 we're buyers? What if we go 3-0 against the DBacks, 1-3 against the Reds, and 1-2 against the Cubs and pick up 3 games on the division? By your criterion we're selling Romo. Just weird.
3. The AZ series looms huge, but you never know if/when they will slump or we will get hot. Still, I think we need to take that series, especially at home.
4. This is doable; LA really struggles to pitch when Kershaw isn't on the mound. And Puig is hurt.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked at Colorado's schedule...

Ouch, babe.

ChC, Mia, Mil. We may not be able to pass them this month.

Yeah, because Miami is a pushover team that never wins on the road. Hey, wait....

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I don't think where the Rox stand makes much difference. If we're tied with them we don't make a trade, but a game ahead of them we do? Seems like an artificial criterion to me.
2. Again, you're drawing a distinction with far reaching implications on a difference of ONE GAME. If we go 5-5 we're sellers, if we go 6-4 we're buyers? What if we go 3-0 against the DBacks, 1-3 against the Reds, and 1-2 against the Cubs and pick up 3 games on the division? By your criterion we're selling Romo. Just weird.
3. The AZ series looms huge, but you never know if/when they will slump or we will get hot. Still, I think we need to take that series, especially at home.
4. This is doable; LA really struggles to pitch when Kershaw isn't on the mound. And Puig is hurt.

Greinke and Ryu say hello. Greinke also said hi last night.
LA is legit, they finally are putting the talent they have together, and they are still buying.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be floored if there were any non-minor deals done in the next couple weeks. This is San Diego we are beating upon. Not a Major League team.

To be honest, I could care less who the Giants are playing.

At this point, its about how well they are playing..no mental mistakes, good defense, good at bats..things they can do regardless of their opponent.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

we're not a franchise like the Marlins.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

we're not a franchise like the Marlins.

Why not? 2 Tittles in 20 years in this era of baseball isn't that bad of a thing. I don't want us to be buyers to be buyers means you have to give up something. Who would you give up? Are they the answer for a title/or in the play offs? Short term or long term?

Our "buys" have been less then stellar and we are on the decline while the division is on the up swing.. Its time to regroup and then move forward.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? 2 Tittles in 20 years in this era of baseball isn't that bad of a thing. I don't want us to be buyers to be buyers means you have to give up something. Who would you give up? Are they the answer for a title/or in the play offs? Short term or long term?

Our "buys" have been less then stellar and we are on the decline while the division is on the up swing.. Its time to regroup and then move forward.

Oh man, I do like tittles

I think we agree we should not be buying this year. But iI don't agree we are 'on the decline' overall.
just wondering: how do you rate Sabean and the front office?

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh man, I do like tittles

I think we agree we should not be buying this year. But iI don't agree we are 'on the decline' overall.
just wondering: how do you rate Sabean and the front office?

I would rate Sabean for finding guys "gems in the dirt" A+... Trading for high profile players D-. Overall B.

I'm going to quote Harbaugh here... "if you aren't getting better you are getting worse" Giants aren't getting better and the West is getting better...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,900.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rate Sabean for finding guys "gems in the dirt" A+... Trading for high profile players D-. Overall B.

I'm going to quote Harbaugh here... "if you aren't getting better you are getting worse" Giants aren't getting better and the West is getting better...

I am going contrarian here, just for the sake of argument...

Just because we "are not getting better" does not mean that we are not still competitive...

We are only 6.5 games behind the leaders, who are probably not the team we need to worry about anyway. We are only 4 back of the doggies, who are likely the team to shoot for.

No team is running away with it, so a 5 or 6 game winning streak can get us right in the thick of things while a 5 or 6 game losing streak will likely not bury us.

The last month when we have been painful to watch, the offense has had multiple guys put up near-epic bad numbers, which were completely against their career norms. The losing bred losing. The pitching has shown signs of coming to life (Bum is a legit AS, Gaudin has really gotten the "feel" of the rotation, Timmeh is en fuego and KCya is now back in the mix) and Panda seems to be coming out of hibernation. These are all things that bode well for the coming weeks.

Now, I agree with you that we should not be uber-buyers. We do not enough chips in the system to be able to afford dealing them, and I am not sure it would be enough to change our chances once in the playoffs anyway. But a blowing up of the team does not make sense either. If the team continues to suck the next 2 weeks, see what is out there for Timmeh an Herk and see about some if the other minor pieces as well (JLo, Romo, Affeldt, Scoots, etc)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just because we "are not getting better" does not mean that we are not still competitive...

We are only 6.5 games behind the leaders, who are probably not the team we need to worry about anyway. We are only 4 back of the doggies, who are likely the team to shoot for.

No team is running away with it, so a 5 or 6 game winning streak can get us right in the thick of things while a 5 or 6 game losing streak will likely not bury us.

The last month when we have been painful to watch, the offense has had multiple guys put up near-epic bad numbers, which were completely against their career norms. The losing bred losing. The pitching has shown signs of coming to life (Bum is a legit AS, Gaudin has really gotten the "feel" of the rotation, Timmeh is en fuego and KCya is now back in the mix) and Panda seems to be coming out of hibernation. These are all things that bode well for the coming weeks.

Now, I agree with you that we should not be uber-buyers. We do not enough chips in the system to be able to afford dealing them, and I am not sure it would be enough to change our chances once in the playoffs anyway. But a blowing up of the team does not make sense either. If the team continues to suck the next 2 weeks, see what is out there for Timmeh an Herk and see about some if the other minor pieces as well (JLo, Romo, Affeldt, Scoots, etc)

Remember that scene in "Chariots of Fire" where Eric Liddle gets knocked down early in the race, then gets up and runs down one runner after another and then wins going away? I have a bad feeling that this is a picture of the Dogs this season. Very crappy for six weeks, and then on fire for six weeks. Early on they had injuries, and the mob was out for Mattingly's head. Since Puig was added, they are like 17-5 (going from memory of something I read.) And all of a sudden, Mattingly is a HOF manager.

Personally, I don't think they can keep up this pace. But they have almost caught the lead runner, and have Mo-mentum on their side.

On another note, the NL gets shut out in the AS game tonight. What is it about Noggin that really doesn't like offense? :suds:

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we disagree on what 'blowing up' the team means. Obviously selling guys we don't intend to bring back (Timmy, Pence) isn't blowing anything up. But those last 4 names, you're basically saying get rid of the front end of our bullpen, and an allstar 2B hitting well over .300. And only JLo is a FA next year.

I guess I don't see how dealing all those guys makes us a better team in 2014, where I still believe we can compete. You say Romo isn't a prototypical closer, ok, but if you deal him you want to just plug a rookie into the role and try to win another ring? It's not like our farm has any can't miss closer prospects.

And JLo is really valuable...perhaps the idea is deal him and tell him 'look we aren't wining this year but we want you back next year, let us get a prospect for you and then re-sign you'. You could even say the same to Timmy and Hunter if you want them back.

But dealing Scoots, Affeldt, and Romo to me says teardown, might as well deal Panda and Blanco etc too...

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember that scene in "Chariots of Fire" where Eric Liddle gets knocked down early in the race, then gets up and runs down one runner after another and then wins going away? I have a bad feeling that this is a picture of the Dogs this season. Very crappy for six weeks, and then on fire for six weeks. Early on they had injuries, and the mob was out for Mattingly's head. Since Puig was added, they are like 17-5 (going from memory of something I read.) And all of a sudden, Mattingly is a HOF manager.

Personally, I don't think they can keep up this pace. But they have almost caught the lead runner, and have Mo-mentum on their side.

On another note, the NL gets shut out in the AS game tonight. What is it about Noggin that really doesn't like offense? :suds:

This...is joke, yes?

I'll risk the :dunce: hat...

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bold part is all I remember reading... I'm glad to see us reach a conclusion :suds:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would talk to the Tigers and see if you could pry away Nick Castellanos, for a package of pitchers. Trades like that I would have to think about, guys who can help us in 2014 and beyond. I don't want to throw away a few seasons and blow up the team. Tigers are under a lot of pressure to win, with the team they have they can't lose again. They could be a team to take advantage of.