• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:....But let me ask, does Feliz make our club if he can't close? That would have to be an emotional speed bump at the least. But do keep in mind that on Sat he was supposedly hitting 95.

I believe he still makes it because he still be useful in a middle inning situation.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My preference would be to do away with the closer position entirely and user the best pitchers in the highest leverage situations.

What I think wash would go? Soria would get the first opportunity to stamp his claim on the closer spot because I'm sure wash loves his veteranness. After that, I'm betting scheppers is next in line behind him.

And to be honest that is the problem with managers in general. I agree that Soria would be the 1st option and you may be right about Scheppers next in line but I would not mind seeing Cotts get that opportunity as well. When he is on those hitters are tied up in knots.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choice is becoming an interesting player. May have a diamond in the rough.

Choice was always intriguing to me. You don't see Beane trade away players like him very often. Especially for a fourth outfielder. Obviously our front office saw something in him that made them pull the trigger, and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing as well. It's love to see him become an all star and Oakland killer for us.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to be honest that is the problem with managers in general. I agree that Soria would be the 1st option and you may be right about Scheppers next in line but I would not mind seeing Cotts get that opportunity as well. When he is on those hitters are tied up in knots.

Cotts is awesome, but wash will want to have him available for lefty situations.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choice is becoming an interesting player. May have a diamond in the rough.

Another thing I like about Choice is his body type. He's very stocky and looks like he'll continue to put on muscle. I remember reading that he has good speed when we traded for him. I was pleasantly surprised just how well he runs.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing I like about Choice is his body type. He's very stocky and looks like he'll continue to put on muscle. I remember reading that he has good speed when we traded for him. I was pleasantly surprised just how well he runs.
Nice to know b/c we gave up a ton of speed for him. Really think it was a good trade for he and Gentry.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choice was always intriguing to me. You don't see Beane trade away players like him very often. Especially for a fourth outfielder. Obviously our front office saw something in him that made them pull the trigger, and so far I'm liking what I'm seeing as well. It's love to see him become an all star and Oakland killer for us.

First of all I loved Gentry and always thought with more PT his skills both offensively and defensively would improve and he might be a legit hitter for avg. and could be an everyday CF. That said he wasn't ever gonna hit for much power but how many great defensive cfers do? Dude has lots of intangibles with his work ethic, ability to get on base with IF hits and ability to steal bases at a high rate, will take a HBP to get on as well. However Choice seems to offer more power and the ability to possibly claim a starting OF spot relatively soon with decent defense and above avg speed as well. The overall trade seems to me that the Rangers win out, as Lindblom didn't provide much IMO and the A's sent Wilson in the deal as well. It seems like Beane would never be fleeced in a deal but I tend to think the projections for the players going to each team that the Rangers could win in a big way. Time will tell, I guess

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats Bostick not Wilson, my bad

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On our pitching I try to look at this as the glass is half full. I have said you cannot have enough pitching as it is a fragile position. Winding has stated we need 10 starters. We are overloading ourselves with possible starters to see what filters out. Great plan. We took a hard hit last year and this year in that Holland is out and Harrison and Colby trying to make it back. I am counting on whoever starts the season on the mound of taking care of business and keeping us in games. Why? Because it was done last year and not too many teams would have held up as well as we did especially when you consider how anemic our offense was at times.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Half way through spring training some things are still as fuzzy as they were but others are getting some focus. Here's what I think we know not necessarily in any order ...

-Remember a month and a half ago when TEX said the closer's job was Feliz' to lose?

-Would be nice to see if Profar's glove and arm work

-Playing every day and getting more ABs than anyone in camp Choice is hitting spring training pitching very well. Key words (playing every day, spring training, minor league pitchers)

-Ditto Chirinos. Did you know he's got 12 seasons in the minors?

-Why does Wash think he needs to have the rotation set by the 20th ... 10 days from now? If he has set a deadline that early he's already made up his mind.

-Hearts are with Colby but will his body be still out there in July?

-Is Tommy Hanson still in camp?

-Kirkman is going to be in someone's rotation in April.

-Saunders -- today I have him #5 ... who knows tomorrow.

-Harrison believes he is behind about two weeks. What if that is just Matt marketing?

-If you go all in for Colby and Harrison ... who do you no longer have when you need them in the middle of May? (Grimm and Lindblom are gone)

-Golden Oldie: I can't believe TEX gave up all those guys for Matt Garza.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Responses in bold

Half way through spring training some things are still as fuzzy as they were but others are getting some focus. Here's what I think we know not necessarily in any order ...

-Remember a month and a half ago when TEX said the closer's job was Feliz' to lose?
Wash was on the ticket this morning (Norm)....saying Feliz needs to earn it. (Norm had mistakenly deemed Feliz the closer) But as of now, has anyone really earned it? :noidea:

-Would be nice to see if Profar's glove and arm work
He's still recovering from that shoulder issue. Believe they said he would see the field (in game) soon. He's been getting work in outside of game action though.

-Playing every day and getting more ABs than anyone in camp Choice is hitting spring training pitching very well. Key words (playing every day, spring training, minor league pitchers)
I still see him playing everyday in AAA. At least I hope so.

-Ditto Chirinos. Did you know he's got 12 seasons in the minors?
Almost career minor leaguer status.

-Why does Wash think he needs to have the rotation set by the 20th ... 10 days from now? If he has set a deadline that early he's already made up his mind.
Havent heard that - but understandable for the first few guys to get on a "schedule". Would think 4 & 5 would still be up for grabs by then.

-Hearts are with Colby but will his body be still out there in July?
If not, there's always the hope that Holland will be ready by then. If not, Hanson/Tepesch.

-Is Tommy Hanson still in camp?
He last pitched on Wednesday. Allowed 2 runs on 5 hits, struck out 3 in 3 innings. Believe this was the game Martin misplayed a ball in CF... (instead of an out...it ended up being a triple)

-Kirkman is going to be in someone's rotation in April.
IMO. Also E.Beltre will be on someone's bench.

-Saunders -- today I have him #5 ... who knows tomorrow.
He'll be #4 or #5. He's an innings eater.

-Harrison believes he is behind about two weeks. What if that is just Matt marketing?
Wash said that just b/c Matt says he's ready - the Rangers may hold him back a few extra weeks to make sure he's good and ready. IE - dont expect him to May... IMO. He is pitching an inning in a B game tomorrow though.

-If you go all in for Colby and Harrison ... who do you no longer have when you need them in the middle of May? (Grimm and Lindblom are gone)
que? Assume you mean who would be in AAA? Hanson & Tepesch. IMO

-Golden Oldie: I can't believe TEX gave up all those guys for Matt Garza.
Hindsight is 20/20. But at the time, it filled a HUGE hole. That said, all prospects. MLB talent >>> Prospects.

Was it an overpay? Oh yeah. Definitely. But it provided the team a chance to get better in the rotation / make a playoff push.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's what I have so far.......

I've tried a million different ways to add players in.......but with the image size restrictions (125px max height), they end up tiny.
I have alot of great options to choose from though. (a few are in the next post)

Last edited by a moderator:

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My other option is to ditch the night ballpark background and use player images. (like the ones attached)

Kelly Gavin gets the credit for the photos. Heck of a photographer.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash does not belong on the banner.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Feliz earns the closer position it sure makes life easier for who does what in the BP IMO.

Is there a limit on how many players a team can stockpile on the DL? Just wondering out loud the what ifs of having Feliz, Hanson, Harrison and maybe even Lewis on there - Colby if Kirkman takes the # 4 or 5 hole - and Saunders assuming the other starter position.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's what I have so far.......

I've tried a million different ways to add players in.......but with the image size restrictions (125px max height), they end up tiny.
I have alot of great options to choose from though. (a few are in the next post)

the night ballpark one looks pretty good

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are guys on here who think Wash is the worst manager in baseball, perhaps ever. I'm not one of em. But my bet is you're going to get an ear full.

Wash, makes some really dumbshit moves, and I know this this. But he gets no tips-of-the-hat when he does it right either. I know this too.