• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave you fair warning sir.
It's not over. Big guns aren't here yet. Got a feeling we will be hearing about giving away outs and things like that.LOL

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Aducci even in the conversation to make the team? And what do you give the over/under on Kouzmanoff on being a Ranger?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not over. Big guns aren't here yet. Got a feeling we will be hearing about giving away outs and things like that.LOL

I know.....this is the old "tip-of-the-iceberg."

Oh well....

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Aducci even in the conversation to make the team? And what do you give the over/under on Kouzmanoff on being a Ranger?
I don't think Aducci is in but Kouzmanoff yes.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feliz is on in the 9th! Time to start earning the coveted closer position.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he did lower his ERA a point and a half.....but 2 hits, and thank goodness no one on base, will not get the job done.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Kouz & Lillibridge make the roster.

Dont know who makes the 4th OF spot. I'd assume its E. Beltre (b/c of options).

So bench of ...

E. Beltre (of)
Soto/JP (c)
Kouz (3b/1B)
Lillibridge (2b/ss)

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kouz & Lillibridge make the roster.

Dont know who makes the 4th OF spot. I'd assume its E. Beltre (b/c of options).

So bench of ...

E. Beltre (of)
Soto/JP (c)
Kouz (3b/1B)
Lillibridge (2b/ss)

Won't have any problem with this bench. So I guess you're thinking Rosales is back to the A's again? haha

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he did lower his ERA a point and a half.....but 2 hits, and thank goodness no one on base, will not get the job done.

I don't think he has earned that role and right now he would scare the daylights out of me coming into a 1 run game in the 9th.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he has earned that role and right now he would scare the daylights out of me coming into a 1 run game in the 9th.

No kidding. Time for him to step it up was today. I'm getting no more comfortable with each outting. Apparently, neither is he.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's what I have so far.......

I've tried a million different ways to add players in.......but with the image size restrictions (125px max height), they end up tiny.
I have alot of great options to choose from though. (a few are in the next post)

Sort of wish the banner I made last year at least got some consideration... kind of disappointed it didn't since I put some time into it and I took the requests of everyone here. Anyway this one looks good but I think I would like it better if some players were in there.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2 good moves, huh? 600 someodd wins and 2 good moves.

Not going to start the debate that has gone on for almost every season. Romeo said the field manager doesn't belong on the banner. I agree. That would go no matter who the manager is. If you think we ought to keep an accounting of good and bad moves ... we can have a thread for that and do an accounting at the end of the season. Otherwise ... from experience it's a topic that will consume us. Fact that it's a topic at all says something.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sort of wish the banner I made last year at least got some consideration... kind of disappointed it didn't since I put some time into it and I took the requests of everyone here. Anyway this one looks good but I think I would like it better if some players were in there.

The very first one we had had players in it ... and I liked that one too. Kinda agree with Dude that while the night scene is nice ... its not the ball park that we follow its the team/players. Might want to keep it super secret and post it on Opening Day and surprise us with who you pick.

Might suggest SRS and Dude figure out what works best. They've done all the work on the old ones and proposed ones in the past.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am thinking E. Beltre is going to get hurt again before Opening Day.

Some time on the DL provides the club w a little cushion to decide what avenue they will take with him. Choice seems like he has added pressure to make the big club. Aside from his arm and throwing out base runners, Leonys continues to be unimpressive as a surefire guarantee to win the CF job. That is based on his pitch recognition and regardless of his speed. Not sure he has earned a spot over the other options. Adduci has been doing decent comparatively as well. Who knows how it will play out the next couple weeks though

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some time on the DL provides the club w a little cushion to decide what avenue they will take with him. Choice seems like he has added pressure to make the big club. Aside from his arm and throwing out base runners, Leonys continues to be unimpressive as a surefire guarantee to win the CF job. That is based on his pitch recognition and regardless of his speed. Not sure he has earned a spot over the other options. Adduci has been doing decent comparatively as well. Who knows how it will play out the next couple weeks though

May very well be right although the idea of Martin not opening in CF and only landing the 4OF job is scary ... means Choice would be thrust into that role. TEX sure expected Martin to advance defensively and offensively when they flipped Gentry for Choice.

Young LH bats seem to start slow ... except Profar that is.

He's got three weeks ... it's spring training.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care much about the banner that we sport -- the current one or any alternative to it is fine with me. I would, however, prefer when I read this board get a deeper sense of appreciation for what our "sleazball GM" has done over the past several seasons. I feel that we are all fortunate enough to root for a team with management that is in it to win it, despite having let Cliff Lee get away. Getting Choo and Fielder, and perhaps even Choice or Kouzmanoff, along with the scrap heap pitchers we've acquired, gives us a cance to contend. What more can a fan reasonably ask?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to start the debate that has gone on for almost every season. Romeo said the field manager doesn't belong on the banner. I agree. That would go no matter who the manager is. If you think we ought to keep an accounting of good and bad moves ... we can have a thread for that and do an accounting at the end of the season. Otherwise ... from experience it's a topic that will consume us. Fact that it's a topic at all says something.

I haven't been a fan of Ron since 2009 but i have given him the benefit of the doubt based on him not being an MLB manager prior and the learning curve. That said the team went on great runs in 2010 and 2011 with him as the manager and that deserves some credit, however in game decisions have cost the team games and the team has missed the playoffs by mere margins the last 2 years. I think he costs the team wins more than the players make up for his inadequate moves. I have no interest in debating this again and won't, however this board has folks that once were Wash apologists that have since turned the page after the continuous playing of MY and Murph the last couple years. I am partial that a fan vote on this board of extremely intellectual baseball people would provide more insight on what the general consensus is on the manager. All that means nothing as he just signed for another year and as fans of the team we will deal with his in game management as long as he continues to earn his salary as the Rangers manager.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May very well be right although the idea of Martin not opening in CF and only landing the 4OF job is scary ... means Choice would be thrust into that role. TEX sure expected Martin to advance defensively and offensively when they flipped Gentry for Choice.

Young LH bats seem to start slow ... except Profar that is.

He's got three weeks ... it's spring training.

I agree it is still ST and the CF options are scary but Leonys needs to show marked improvement. JPA also needs to show considerably more or Chirinos may deserve more opportunities until Soto is healthy.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy to Criticize Wash. He is obviously not a masterful strategist (who is?), but he gets our guys to play as hard as any manager could, in my opinion. Feel free to speak up if you think that you are better able than Wash to manage the team.

Last edited by a moderator: