• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy to Criticize Wash. He is obviously not a masterful strategist (who is?), but he gets our guys to play as hard as any manager could, in my opinion. Feel free to speak up if you think that you are better able than Wash to manage the team.

I would take on the task as well as the salary and perform better, hell armchair managers are the best in our opinion

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take on the task as well as the salary and perform better, hell armchair managers are the best in our opinion

LOL Without knowing what your current salary is, I'm not at all surprised that you are willing to trade places with Wash. As a Ranger fan, however, I'm skeptical that you or anyone else who posts here is better able than Wash to get the most out of his team.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Dallas states Darvish had a strong outing. Not sure that is the right word. Gave up just 2 runs in 5 innings but Reds had a runner thrown out at home and one thrown out trying to steal 3rd with 1 out (sounds like something our Rangers would do) and only 1 k. But he is looking ready for opening day.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy to Criticize Wash. He is obviously not a masterful strategist (who is?), but he gets our guys to play as hard as any manager could, in my opinion. Feel free to speak up if you think that you are better able than Wash to manage the team.

I have zero doubt I can make better in game and lineup decisions.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I have zero doubt you could
:suds:
Well, think about it. Probably would not have given away as many outs bunting unnecessarily and playing Murphy all season. That would be a start.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, think about it. Probably would not have given away as many outs bunting unnecessarily and playing Murphy all season. That would be a start.

but then again....the job entails much more than number of bunts and playing Murphy.
I'm good with the opinion....Thanks

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero doubt I can make better in game and lineup decisions.

I think that's easy to say from the outside looking in. I mean, sure, Wash's decisions are definitely unconventional at times and I would even agree that some of them have lost us games but I am sure they have also won us games as well. Given his coaching style, it's sort of more difficult to measure though. But it does work both ways. There is a lot that can be said and gained from a manager shows confidence in his players and sticks his neck out for them. Of course at times there is a risk involved too.

Anyway, I find it sort of strange or ironic even, that many of the fans that think JD can do no wrong are usually the same ones that think Wash does little right. I mean, JD is the guy keeping Wash on board and he sees something in him. Doesn't that count for something?

His style might not make sense to us all but it has worked enough for him not only work his way up to manage for a competitive MLB team but also help take said MLB to its first 2 WS runs in team history. That's more any of us can say about our own baseball management experience.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really want to get into things too much but the Rangers should have won the 2011 WS. MY should not have been playing 1b in the NL park. I thought defense was the name of the game with RW. MY caused Colby to be out earlier than he should have been. And when you want your pitchers to bunt someone over and the corners come in almost in front of the plate take the bunt off! If the pitcher k's so what, at least your position player is on base. If they happen to hit it they will think twice about coming in that close. And if you bring an on fire Holland into the game leave him in there. So what if he gives up a solo HR. his stuff was electric in that series. And he had his mind made up that Harrison was starting game 7 no matter what. And somebody make Nap call a breaking pitch or a fastball inside to Freese for Pete's sake. When even Buck and McCarver are saying he is a fastball hitter who hits the ball to right don't keep throwing fastballs on the outside part of the plate. I'm done now.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's easy to say from the outside looking in. I mean, sure, Wash's decisions are definitely unconventional at times and I would even agree that some of them have lost us games but I am sure they have also won us games as well. Given his coaching style, it's sort of more difficult to measure though. But it does work both ways. There is a lot that can be said and gained from a manager shows confidence in his players and sticks his neck out for them. Of course at times there is a risk involved too.

Anyway, I find it sort of strange or ironic even, that many of the fans that think JD can do no wrong are usually the same ones that think Wash does little right. I mean, JD is the guy keeping Wash on board and he sees something in him. Doesn't that count for something?

His style might not make sense to us all but it has worked enough for him not only work his way up to manage for a competitive MLB team but also help take said MLB to its first 2 WS runs in team history. That's more any of us can say about our own baseball management experience.

I'm not getting into this entire conversation again. My comment was about his lineups abd in game strategy and decision. Anyone with half a baseball brain knows he makes some dumb ass game decisions. More than any manager should.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really want to get into things too much but the Rangers should have won the 2011 WS. MY should not have been playing 1b in the NL park. I thought defense was the name of the game with RW. MY caused Colby to be out earlier than he should have been. And when you want your pitchers to bunt someone over and the corners come in almost in front of the plate take the bunt off! If the pitcher k's so what, at least your position player is on base. If they happen to hit it they will think twice about coming in that close. And if you bring an on fire Holland into the game leave him in there. So what if he gives up a solo HR. his stuff was electric in that series. And he had his mind made up that Harrison was starting game 7 no matter what. And somebody make Nap call a breaking pitch or a fastball inside to Freese for Pete's sake. When even Buck and McCarver are saying he is a fastball hitter who hits the ball to right don't keep throwing fastballs on the outside part of the plate. I'm done now.

and yet, If Cruz makes a ML catchable ball at the wall we're WS Champs. You guys nickel and dime about the strangest things.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not getting into this entire conversation again. My comment was about his lineups abd in game strategy and decision. Anyone with half a baseball brain knows he makes some dumb ass game decisions. More than any manager should.

if true then JD woulda fired him. Something tells me many in game decisions are a group effort based on pregame meetings and strategies for certain situations within the given game. I know Washington has had much more of a positive impact for what has taken place around here the last 4 years than many board regulars here want to give. It's pretty clear JD views this as well

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if true then JD woulda fired him. Something tells me many in game decisions are a group effort based on pregame meetings and strategies for certain situations within the given game. I know Washington has had much more of a positive impact for what has taken place around here the last 4 years than many board regulars here want to give. It's pretty clear JD views this as well

Wash is good for the Rangers and I do like him. But it doesn't mean he shouldn't and can't get better and try to. I do believe if you go to any other fan base they will have their fair share of factions of people saying the same things about their managers so I don't believe it's just Rangers fans w/Wash.

I'm not this new school vs old school guy but I do believe that it is essential in taking a holistic approach. Data is there for a reason and should never be ignored. I know because I work in a Data IT environment. That said there is much much more to being a baseball manager than simply just an x's & o's and strategy. I don't think we can ignore the results and how this team has become and progressed since 2007.

Just my 2 cents.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I have zero doubt you could
:suds:

:laugh3: It's easy to make the calls after the game. You're both full of Shit if you think you could do anything that has to do with managing better than Ron Washington. If you want to say Clint Hurdle could, thats fine. Delusional

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3: It's easy to make the calls after the game. You're both full of Shit if you think you could do anything that has to do with managing better than Ron Washington. If you want to say Clint Hurdle could, thats fine. Delusional

A decision is right or wrong regardless of the outcome or hindsight. If anyone has been shown to be lacking in baseball iq in here it's you.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yet, If Cruz makes a ML catchable ball at the wall we're WS Champs. You guys nickel and dime about the strangest things.

Not getting into this discussion again, but Cruz had no business being in right field.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A decision is right or wrong regardless of the outcome or hindsight. If anyone has been shown to be lacking in baseball iq in here it's you.

The only thing you're not lacking in is ego you pompous ass. For someone who posts on SportsHoopla to say they REALLY believe they could do a better job than Ron Washington shows that you have the baseball IQ of a grape. It also begs another question. If you are so freaking smart, why don't you quit punching your computer and go interview with JD and get a nice 7 figure summer job? Better yet, Washington took the Rangers to a couple of World Series, why don't you try something easy like interviewing with Seattle? What an egomaniac

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash is good for the Rangers and I do like him. But it doesn't mean he shouldn't and can't get better and try to. I do believe if you go to any other fan base they will have their fair share of factions of people saying the same things about their managers so I don't believe it's just Rangers fans w/Wash.

I'm not this new school vs old school guy but I do believe that it is essential in taking a holistic approach. Data is there for a reason and should never be ignored. I know because I work in a Data IT environment. That said there is much much more to being a baseball manager than simply just an x's & o's and strategy. I don't think we can ignore the results and how this team has become and progressed since 2007.

Just my 2 cents.

Washington certainly does need to be better.

For as long as I've watched baseball, the manager decisions are always under fire. I've screamed at the TV as much as any ranger fan, but the guy has done some extremely good things as well. I think the bigger job with today's highly paid players is motivating them to play hard day after day and putting team goals first.

"Do what the game asked you do" is a great line and so true. Washington has and will continue to have a positive effect with players because of his approach and consistency with the players. I just don't think that talent can be found on just any street corner. That is a great attribute for managing a big league club. Gotta win over the players first and not many in today's game are better than Wash at that.