• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, take a midol and chill.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3: It's easy to make the calls after the game. You're both full of Shit if you think you could do anything that has to do with managing better than Ron Washington. If you want to say Clint Hurdle could, thats fine. Delusional

Only delusional one here is you. Sorry, but those are the facts if you honestly believe that nobody here could do a better job of in-game strategical management than Ron Washington. It's not an issue of ego or pomposity. It's just that to anyone who has ever played baseball at a high school level or higher, Ron Washington's gaffes are blatantly obvious. This isn't post game armchair quarterback stuff either. This is stuff people call him out on as he's doing it and, sure enough, it fails. Some of the mistakes he makes don't even take a hardcore baseball fan to spot either. It's the equivalent of choosing Shaq to shoot technical free throws or benching Tom Brady in favor of some undrafted spare. Wash's tactical mistakes are just that bad. This isn't some egotistical opinion held just on this board either. Analysts from far and wide, including former players, have called Wash out as being quite poor at in-game management (particularly his handling of the pitching staff). Heck, Wash himself has even admitted before that he's still learning.

I guarantee you that Jon Daniels recognizes this too. But he keeps Wash around because he feels that what Wash gets out of his players outweighs his tactical mistakes. Players are, after all, the ones who primarily determine the outcome and can often overcome poor decisions by their manager.

And lastly, before you retort with some childish nonsense about how I should go interview with JD, please try to recognize two simple yet important facts:

1) Only former players or lifelong coaches get hired as managers, and

2) Just because someone holds a managerial position (regardless of occupation) it doesn't mean he is the best qualified for the job or that someone better could easily unseat him.

Seriously, have you never worked somewhere with an incompetent boss or manager? If not, you are definitely the exception to the rule. Just because you have a boss who is bad at his job doesn't mean you can just go to his boss and say "hey, I'm better, fire him and hire me". It doesn't work that way.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, sometimes I might take things a bit to personally on here but in this case I really don't feel like I did. It just seemed like instead of talking about the context of the post you choose to insult mine or other peoples intelligence, if there opinion conflicted with yours, which really doesn't add anything of substance to the conversation IMO. No personal feelings hurt or anything though- I am pretty confident in my intelligence.

Let me say right off the bat, this is none of my fucking business. But IMO, you're not going to score any points with this guy or win the debate. Just give it up and move on.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only delusional one here is you. Sorry, but those are the facts if you honestly believe that nobody here could do a better job of in-game strategical management than Ron Washington. It's not an issue of ego or pomposity. It's just that to anyone who has ever played baseball at a high school level or higher, Ron Washington's gaffes are blatantly obvious. This isn't post game armchair quarterback stuff either. This is stuff people call him out on as he's doing it and, sure enough, it fails. Some of the mistakes he makes don't even take a hardcore baseball fan to spot either. It's the equivalent of choosing Shaq to shoot technical free throws or benching Tom Brady in favor of some undrafted spare. Wash's tactical mistakes are just that bad. This isn't some egotistical opinion held just on this board either. Analysts from far and wide, including former players, have called Wash out as being quite poor at in-game management (particularly his handling of the pitching staff). Heck, Wash himself has even admitted before that he's still learning.

I guarantee you that Jon Daniels recognizes this too. But he keeps Wash around because he feels that what Wash gets out of his players outweighs his tactical mistakes. Players are, after all, the ones who primarily determine the outcome and can often overcome poor decisions by their manager.

And lastly, before you retort with some childish nonsense about how I should go interview with JD, please try to recognize two simple yet important facts:

2) Just because someone holds a managerial position (regardless of occupation) it doesn't mean he is the best qualified for the job or that someone better could easily unseat him.

Seriously, have you never worked somewhere with an incompetent boss or manager? If not, you are definitely the exception to the rule. Just because you have a boss who is bad at his job doesn't mean you can just go to his boss and say "hey, I'm better, fire him and hire me". It doesn't work that way.

Agreed.... How many first innings did Wash hurt the team last year with his questionable bunt tactics?

shtexas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I agree, sometimes I might take things a bit to personally on here but in this case I really don't feel like I did. It just seemed like instead of talking about the context of the post you choose to insult mine or other peoples intelligence, if there opinion conflicted with yours, which really doesn't add anything of substance to the conversation IMO. No personal feelings hurt or anything though- I am pretty confident in my intelligence.

I'm actually with you on this. It's pretty much the reason I only sometimes come back and read this board and almost never post any more here (in fact, I think my avatar might be an ex-Ranger if I remember correctly).

I enjoy talking baseball..or football..or tennis...or whatever. But, for me, that enjoyment is lost when people hurl insults simply because someone disagrees with them. Healthy debate is great. But, insults are not healthy debate IMO.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Excellent post.

As I've stated before I think overall the good outweighs the bad in terms of Wash managing this particular team at the present time. At some point there is an end of the line for everyone including the greats. So at some point in time there will be a situation where Wash will not manage this club anymore however great may be. That's just the way it usually works out in this day and age of professional sports.

I've always thought that the good far outweighs the bad even though when it comes to some in game decisions and him being stubborn on things such as Murphy last season etc.

Romeo, Rev etc are certainly not wrong in their thoughts and I do echo their thoughts. This is why I do think it's important for Wash to want to continue to get better and learn. I don't care if you're a baseball lifer...you can and should always learn new things. I don't know which article it is but I was hearing a segment on the shake joint a few weeks back at how Clint Hurdle was very old school and didn't want to care to change his ways. He then started too in Pittsburgh with management pushing for it and he ended up really valuing analytics and it's served him and his team well. I'm paraphrasing but he basically said that I didn't really believe in this stuff and value it but after seeing it and acting upon these analytics they have benefited greatly.

So as I've said before, I say right now and will say it again at some point, we need to have Wash take a holistic approach and put value on not just feel but stats, data analytics, sports psychology etc.
There simply shouldn't be a reason he shouldn't, and wouldn't want to get better for his and his teams sake.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually with you on this. It's pretty much the reason I only sometimes come back and read this board and almost never post any more here (in fact, I think my avatar might be an ex-Ranger if I remember correctly).

I enjoy talking baseball..or football..or tennis...or whatever. But, for me, that enjoyment is lost when people hurl insults simply because someone disagrees with them. Healthy debate is great. But, insults are not healthy debate IMO.

That's what you guys consider hurling insults? If so, put your big boy pants on.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what you guys consider hurling insults? If so, put your big boy pants on.

Ya not sure why people would take things personal. We all have our different viewpoints and that is fine. That's what makes Murica so great!

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh dear. I do need to change my avatar.

Ya you do unless you like arrogant douches. And this wasn't the first time and certainly won't be the last time Kinsler makes idiot remarks and acts like a prick.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya you do unless you like arrogant douches. And this wasn't the first time and certainly won't be the last time Kinsler makes idiot remarks and acts like a prick.

I do agree with ya. But ya know something? I don't remember anyone coming down on Kinsler so much when he was our arrogant douche. And he's always been one.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Done!

Mr. 0-162 is out.

Did you happen to catch Salty's tongue-in-cheek humor at Kinsler's expense yesterday?

I don't think Ian is exactly held in high esteem throughout the league.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear God, this is being debated again?

Its the exact same debate over and over again

A for "Wash doesn't need to be on the banner," agreed

If we want to do this democratically we should have all candidates submit one to a separate thread give a deadline to post submissions, make a poll and have the members vote, and then close the thread...

I'm ok with whatever the people choose, b/c honestly I rarely look at the damn thing

And if people don't like your banner, don't whine about it to sway opinion

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent post.

As I've stated before I think overall the good outweighs the bad in terms of Wash managing this particular team at the present time. At some point there is an end of the line for everyone including the greats. So at some point in time there will be a situation where Wash will not manage this club anymore however great may be. That's just the way it usually works out in this day and age of professional sports.

I've always thought that the good far outweighs the bad even though when it comes to some in game decisions and him being stubborn on things such as Murphy last season etc.

Romeo, Rev etc are certainly not wrong in their thoughts and I do echo their thoughts. This is why I do think it's important for Wash to want to continue to get better and learn. I don't care if you're a baseball lifer...you can and should always learn new things. I don't know which article it is but I was hearing a segment on the shake joint a few weeks back at how Clint Hurdle was very old school and didn't want to care to change his ways. He then started too in Pittsburgh with management pushing for it and he ended up really valuing analytics and it's served him and his team well. I'm paraphrasing but he basically said that I didn't really believe in this stuff and value it but after seeing it and acting upon these analytics they have benefited greatly.

So as I've said before, I say right now and will say it again at some point, we need to have Wash take a holistic approach and put value on not just feel but stats, data analytics, sports psychology etc.
There simply shouldn't be a reason he shouldn't, and wouldn't want to get better for his and his teams sake.

It was an excellent post as is yours. The in game decisions when they don't work can be mind blowing, but is there a track record for the times they do work? I've seen quality times for the bunt, hit & runs and SB's that lead to runs or big innings. Do we factor those, or do we assume Wash never has these moments? I still put value on the players execution on both teams in a given situation.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear God, this is being debated again?

Its the exact same debate over and over again

A for "Wash doesn't need to be on the banner," agreed

If we want to do this democratically we should have all candidates submit one to a separate thread give a deadline to post submissions, make a poll and have the members vote, and then close the thread...

I'm ok with whatever the people choose, b/c honestly I rarely look at the damn thing

And if people don't like your banner, don't whine about it to sway opinion

LOL, I hope you were being general about the whining thing and not referencing me. You can be disappointed without whining. I was actually disappointed because we did pretty much what you proposed- we had a vote. One of the banners I made taking input from all the posters here won and then it was never put up.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/texas-rangers/110819-new-banner-poll-voting.html

Anyway, I'm like you I rarely look at the thing and don't care that much at the end of the day- I was just trying to be nice because someone mentioned something about changing it and I do some animation.

I think we should just go with what Xx does. I don't really want to invest the time into it given what happened last time.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I hope you were being general about the whining thing and not referencing me. You can be disappointed without whining. I was actually disappointed because we did pretty much what you proposed- we had a vote. One of the banners I made taking input from all the posters here won and then it was never put up.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/texas-rangers/110819-new-banner-poll-voting.html

Anyway, I'm like you I rarely look at the thing and don't care that much at the end of the day- I was just trying to be nice because someone mentioned something about changing it and I do some animation.

I think we should just go with what Xx does. I don't really want to invest the time into it given what happened last time.

Whining.