• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine, just don't be surprised when people don't buy into your eyeball test. The eyeball test has been shown to be a fallacy many times over.

I'm not surprised. Comparative analysis isn't going to help with his projection either. Only time will tell.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I cared enough to spend time analyzing it, I would have from the beginning. Just because someone doesn't spend time analyzing it doesn't mean they don't have the "skill set". Right now I'm going with the eyeball test. It has served me well in the past.

@Justin ... you and JTA seem to like answering each other's mail for some reason. In my post I said "Maybe Justin does (have the skill set)" to support your post "Alfaro could surprise some people and make a run at the big league roster next year". I'd giving you credit to provide reasoning to base your perspectives on.

You say you are "going with the eyeball test".

How many innings have you seen Alfaro play?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the past three seasons Choo has had almost exactly twice the number of PAs against RHP that he's had against LHP. His OPS versus LHP and RHP over that period are .626 and .926, respectively, though his OBP is .333 and .414. Bottom line: Choo is a monster against RHP; he is adequate against LHP. Fortunately, we can expect him to face RHP about twice as frequently as he faces LHP.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Justin ... you and JTA seem to like answering each other's mail for some reason. In my post I said "Maybe Justin does (have the skill set)" to support your post "Alfaro could surprise some people and make a run at the big league roster next year". I'd giving you credit to provide reasoning to base your perspectives on.

You say you are "going with the eyeball test".

How many innings have you seen Alfaro play?

I've watched a lot of video and some games. I was responding to you asking me to do a comparison. I don't get why you you say I'm answering JTAs mail. I was simply responding to your post.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow we need some televised games STAT!!! I just spend the last several pages reading you guys wanting to rip each other's hair out...put the claws away people...we are on the same team here! haha

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't talking to you. I was suggesting to Justin to build a basis for his projection on a factual analysis. Shows a whole lot more thought and justification for a perspective.

But since you've jumped into it ... weren't you the guy in the off season thread who would throw up projections for a player and if I remember correctly said you didn't put more than 15 minutes into your estimates?

Given your methodology it's no surprise to me that you don't have the skill set to make a comparative analysis. Maybe Justin does. It's not that freakin hard.

I know you weren't talking to me, I chose to respond b/c it annoys me that some don't value an opinion if someone didn't spend time coming up with some flow chart and regression and all that crap

Some of us are capable of forming a solid opinion without doing a comparative analysis everytime, if you're wanting one, do one

And no where did I say I can't do a comparative analysis I said I wouldn't just to appease YOUR curiosity in the FUTURE, so don't try and presume what my fucking skill set is

He offered his opinion, you can choose to accept it or do your own comparison, if not don't get all holier than thou on me or anyone else

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the rangers will need to start fast outta the gate again this season

"The Rangers have one of the easier early-season schedules in the American League, with more than half of their first 41 games at home. "The Rangers have had a lot of injury issues with their rotation, and maybe their early-season schedule will help buy them some time as they get their injured starters back in line."

"Thirteen of their first 41 games are against the Astros and Mariners, who could be among the weaker teams in the league, and they have a nice 10-game homestand in the middle of April as they get settled in,"

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know you weren't talking to me, I chose to respond b/c it annoys me that some don't value an opinion if someone didn't spend time coming up with some flow chart and regression and all that crap

Some of us are capable of forming a solid opinion without doing a comparative analysis everytime, if you're wanting one, do one

And no where did I say I can't do a comparative analysis I said I wouldn't just to appease YOUR curiosity in the FUTURE, so don't try and presume what my fucking skill set is

He offered his opinion, you can choose to accept it or do your own comparison, if not don't get all holier than thou on me or anyone else

Thanks Ace.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the past three seasons Choo has had almost exactly twice the number of PAs against RHP that he's had against LHP. His OPS versus LHP and RHP over that period are .626 and .926, respectively, though his OBP is .333 and .414. Bottom line: Choo is a monster against RHP; he is adequate against LHP. Fortunately, we can expect him to face RHP about twice as frequently as he faces LHP.

Which is exactly why he's a good investment, even considering his poor batting average against lhp, he still gets on base at a .333 clip. That's pretty impressive, and not something I expect to see regress much as he ages.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the rangers will need to start fast outta the gate again this season

"The Rangers have one of the easier early-season schedules in the American League, with more than half of their first 41 games at home. "The Rangers have had a lot of injury issues with their rotation, and maybe their early-season schedule will help buy them some time as they get their injured starters back in line."

"Thirteen of their first 41 games are against the Astros and Mariners, who could be among the weaker teams in the league, and they have a nice 10-game homestand in the middle of April as they get settled in,"

I know you are just sharing this so I this is not towards you but I usually cannot stand it when a reporter or fan talks about the easy or hard part of the schedule. Anybody can beat anybody on any given night. You just have to take care of business and do the little things and you will come out on top more often than not. And a hot pitcher can make a difference. And Seattle has had plenty of those the past few years.

The Commish

Texas Rangers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The easy part of our schedule will be the 97 wins. The hard part will be the 65 losses.