• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta admit to the wind being a little outta my sail today with my concern for Harrison.

But by no means should I, or any of us being punting the season on 20 Feb. Just way to early to be having that "wait till next season" attitude. Stiff upper lip and all that good stuff ya know.

Let's see how Ogando & Lewis come out of ST. I'm still pretty high on Ogando, and hopeful for Colby.

Lewis is a big key for us with all of this as our pitching cannot keep taking these kind of hits. And again we may find out that Harrison's issue is not as serious as we think and that a rested Holland will be back the 2nd half. I am just going to stay positive and let things play themselves out.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with your statement until these 2 names came up. Both have a hard time getting through 6IP.

Ogando did it 7 times last season.... out of 23 games.
Tepesch did it 6 times... out of 17.

By comparison...
Holland 25/33
Darvish 26/32

Innings eaters they are not....but they are usable rotation pieces that can maybe give you 5 (quality) innings pitched.

I hope Ogando can cut down on the BS and go deeper into ballgames this season.

Ogando struggled last year at times, but has proven he can do it

Tepesch was in his first year last year and I threw him in at the end because I think he can given more experience, I expect more out of him this year and actually a solid season

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Andreleton Simmons signed a 7/58 contract today, if you include his first 2 years, he'll end up with about 9 years and 59 million

Considering he's already provided about 33.3 million in value (Fangraphs 6.9 WAR in 206 games), this will be an absolute steal (probably)

Win for the Braves on this one

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not their job to scare people, its their job to eat innings and pitch effectively

Lewis, Hanson, Ogando and Tepesch have proven they can do that

We shall see what happens, but throwing money and years at Santana isn't the answer past this year and he costs a draft pick

If the MRI shows bad news then Santana could be a very good "answer" to a problem. You say that have shown to be innings eaters which is true, but they have also gotten hurt. If another one goes down, or can't pitch effectively, it would get even more dire.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the MRI shows bad news then Santana could be a very good "answer" to a problem. You say that have shown to be innings eaters which is true, but they have also gotten hurt. If another one goes down, or can't pitch effectively, it would get even more dire.

Santana is a band-aid for this year and a financial waste going forward not to mention the lost draft pick

There are better band-aids out there, unless the financial commitment going forward is low enough that he would be easily traded if need be

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santana has thrown 222 IP, 228, 178, and 211 IP, with an ERA under 4, 3 out of the 4 years. Depending on the cost I think he would be a great addition. You can never have enough pitchers, and we're seeing why.

Last edited by a moderator:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Santana has thrown 222 IP, 228, 178, and 211 IP, with an ERA under 4, 3 out of the 4 years. Depending on the cost I think he would be a great addition. You can never have enough pitchers, and we're seeing why.

Just don't see the value in a guy like Santana, and obviously most of the league agrees or he'd have a job by now

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet his price has gone up.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommy Hanson is adjusting to life in a new clubhouse, and that means getting to know a new manager, too. It didn't take him long to see why so many players say they love playing for Ron Washington.

"It was the best clubhouse speech I've heard," Hanson said about Washington's chat with his team prior to full squad workouts Thursday. "It pumped me up. I was ready to go play somebody right now."

Lets hope it fired him up enough to be the Braves' Hanson, and not the Angels.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with your statement until these 2 names came up. Both have a hard time getting through 6IP.

Ogando did it 7 times last season.... out of 23 games.
Tepesch did it 6 times... out of 17.

By comparison...
Holland 25/33
Darvish 26/32

Innings eaters they are not....but they are usable rotation pieces that can maybe give you 5 (quality) innings pitched.

I hope Ogando can cut down on the BS and go deeper into ballgames this season.

exactly neither is an inning eater

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Andreleton Simmons signed a 7/58 contract today, if you include his first 2 years, he'll end up with about 9 years and 59 million

Considering he's already provided about 33.3 million in value (Fangraphs 6.9 WAR in 206 games), this will be an absolute steal (probably)

Win for the Braves on this one

They have been very aggressive this off season on trying to keep much of their core youth as they have extended a number of contracts.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 / 17 for a rookie is pretty solid. I think Tepesch mode will be fine for us.

:agree:.....I see upside with Tep, and he'll rise or sink this ST. But again, my glass is still half full.

XX posted this earlier.........I hope Ogando can cut down on the BS and go deeper into ballgames this season.
And I don't have a clue what he means by this? But I see Ogando as a guy who wants to get the ball every 5th day. Now, he/us will see if he can physically handle the load.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No report on Harrison? I'm starting to think God has placed a curse on the Rangers. They just can't get all of their pitchers healthy at once!

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nor I. Let's say Harrison it's scratched for the time being, but Lewis is healthy enough to take a rotation spot and pitch effectively. I'd rather see this rotation than going out and si
Darvish
Lewis
Perez
Ogando (he's going to be in the rotation. Deal with it people)
Tepesch

Who knows, maybe one of Ross, Hanson, Scheppers, or one of the other bubble guys surprises us. We have options outside of Santana and the truth is, I really want no part of him.

I think if Harry goes on the shelf for a while then the odds of Ross making the rotation go up more than most as having another lefty in the rotation could be important. I really have a feeling he will at least start out the season in the rotation.