• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2013-2014 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the names go that I can recall having heard mentioned as possibly being on the market, the guy that I like the best is Ehrhoff.

I do like Ehrhoff a lot as a player, but that contract makes me cringe - I know it was front-loaded but being hitched to him for seven more years is a tough pill to swallow for any team acquiring him

2Slick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good trade for both teams, each of which need different things right now. As much as I love Miller, he wasn't going to last through the rebuild and he deserves a chance at a cup before he starts to decline.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I do like Ehrhoff a lot as a player, but that contract makes me cringe - I know it was front-loaded but being hitched to him for seven more years is a tough pill to swallow for any team acquiring him

Cap hit of roughly $4m, and a lot of the cash spent already.
Seems like a decent bargain for someone.
Contingent liability remains with the Sabres from that stupid recapture rule to keep in mind

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap hit of roughly $4m, and a lot of the cash spent already.
Seems like a decent bargain for someone.
Contingent liability remains with the Sabres from that stupid recapture rule to keep in mind

whats this rule?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats this rule?

LUONGO!!!

:laugh3:

Informally known as the Luongo rule...

CAP ADVANTAGE RECAPTURE (Roberto Luongo Rule)

Teams receiving a “cap advantage” from long-term contracts — defined as seven years or more for contracts signed prior to the January 2013 CBA — will be penalized in the event the player retires or “defects” from the NHL before the contract expires. A team receives a “cap advantage” when the player’s actual salary exceeds his cap hit in a given year.

Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013.

[ Edit: June 2, 2013 ] Teams do not receive a credit for net negative cap benefit (where cap hit exceeds salary over the course of the contract prior to retirement). However, in calculating net “cap advantage,” teams do receive a credit for seasons in which cap hit exceeds salary.

Please note, contracts that fall under the "over-35" rule do not qualify for cap benefit recapture, the NHL has confirmed. In these cases, the team is charged with the player's full cap hit.

Also note, the 2013 CBA defines "Long-Term Contracts" in Section 50.5 (c) (ii) (A) (P. 265) as any contract entered into prior to the execution date of the agreement that has a term in excess of six years, meaning all contracts signed after the lockout are not subject to recapture penalties.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck as soon as I read Luongo it all came back to me. I remember it now but thanks for the description and the laugh I actually laughed out loud, scared my wife

LUONGO!!!

:laugh3:

Informally known as the Luongo rule...

CAP ADVANTAGE RECAPTURE (Roberto Luongo Rule)

Teams receiving a “cap advantage” from long-term contracts — defined as seven years or more for contracts signed prior to the January 2013 CBA — will be penalized in the event the player retires or “defects” from the NHL before the contract expires. A team receives a “cap advantage” when the player’s actual salary exceeds his cap hit in a given year.

Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013.

[ Edit: June 2, 2013 ] Teams do not receive a credit for net negative cap benefit (where cap hit exceeds salary over the course of the contract prior to retirement). However, in calculating net “cap advantage,” teams do receive a credit for seasons in which cap hit exceeds salary.

Please note, contracts that fall under the "over-35" rule do not qualify for cap benefit recapture, the NHL has confirmed. In these cases, the team is charged with the player's full cap hit.

Also note, the 2013 CBA defines "Long-Term Contracts" in Section 50.5 (c) (ii) (A) (P. 265) as any contract entered into prior to the execution date of the agreement that has a term in excess of six years, meaning all contracts signed after the lockout are not subject to recapture penalties.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3/1/14: 10:27AM:“I can’t imagine unless Ryan Callahan absolutely caves that they don’t move Ryan Callahan. Where he ends up will be sketchy…. Tampa Bay makes sense because of the ongoing dialogue with Tampa Bay about Martin St. Louis. But it doesn’t matter what team, whether it’s the Rangers, Tampa or any team in free agency, Wwho is going to want to pay Ryan Callahan, as good of a player as he is, close to $7 million per. I will watch that pretty closely.” (Darren Dreger on ESPN Denver)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sabres now possess 10 picks in the first two rounds of the 2014 and 2015 Drafts combined.

With all sincerity, they've done a great job with these trades. They know how to rebuild, and quickly. Not holding back, and I can guarantee you this pays off (if they have good scouting).

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all sincerity, they've done a great job with these trades. They know how to rebuild, and quickly. Not holding back, and I can guarantee you this pays off (if they have good scouting).

This is the key.

Draft picks are worth absolutely nothing unless you can evaluate talent.

Dave Torrie is a pretty experienced guy with Canadian amateur scouting/management. I don't know much about the guys the Sabres have as European scouts but they need to get the job done in the next two years.

I think the Sabres are in a really good position. Their AHL club is even decent already. Tim Murray was a good hire and at the same time he was lucky to land a job where the team could start to be very successful in the next 4-7 years.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the key.

Here's a sneak peek at the Oilers scouting department:

scouts0615112.jpg

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The only thing I’m working on that has to be done is moving (Martin) Erat," Caps GM George McPhee told ESPN.com Friday morning.

"There are some teams interested. He still wants out. I’d love to be able to do it this weekend. But we’ll see."

Erat asked for a trade early in the season and remains steadfast on getting out despite getting more playing time as the year went on. He also asked to be dealt out of Nashville last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11:05AM: Alain Vigneault says that he is confident Ryan Callahan will sign. (Steve Zipay)

AV, I hope you're wrong and he is dealt.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the key.

Dave Torrie is a pretty experienced guy with Canadian amateur scouting/management. I don't know much about the guys the Sabres have as European scouts but they need to get the job done in the next two years.

I think the Sabres are in a really good position. Their AHL club is even decent already. Tim Murray was a good hire and at the same time he was lucky to land a job where the team could start to be very successful in the next 4-7 years.

Tim Murray has a reputation as a guy with a good eye for talent.

scouts0615112.jpg

Probably a little better than the Jackets' old scouting dept:
0002576620102_300X300.jpg

11:05AM: Alain Vigneault says that he is confident Ryan Callahan will sign. (Steve Zipay)

But did he say where?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only $4 million cap hit though, and isn't Edler (who was mentioned) signed for almost as long and greater AAV anyway? And I like Ehrhoff waaaay more as a player. I'm a little scared about being attached to anyone for 7 years, but Ehrhoff is not very expensive and he's damn good... I think he's one of the most underrated defensemen in the league. I'd absolutely love to have him on the Leafs, he'd be a great fit.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scouts0615112.jpg

You laugh, but that's Vladimir Krutov's son in the green hat in the front

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Mac saying a shakeup in Buffalo could be happening. He says it's centered around LaFontaine.

Mike Harrington @BNHarrington
No one saw Pat LaFontaine last night, which in retrospect is odd. I'm told by two people he was a late scratch to Power Play Luncheon

Mike Harrington @BNHarrington
If there is discord in #Sabres front office, the clear issues would be disagreement over the Miller trade or the status of Nolan.

Stay tuned.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator: