• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2013-2014 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the second half of the season well underway and a two-and-a-half week Olympic break coming up, the NHL's Mar. 5 Trade Deadline isn't that far off and teams will be making decisions on whether to buy, sell and decide which players can make the biggest difference and hold the greatest value.
Check out today's trade rumours and speculation from around the NHL beat. And follow TSN.ca through Deadline Day for all the updates.
While the Window's Open
After being extended by the Ottawa Senators through 2016, general manager Bryan Murray said he was ready to make moves to add the missing pieces for a Stanley Cup run. Speaking with TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LebBrun of ESPN.com, Murray said "I think we do have a good number of young people I would think other organizations would be interested in." Murray made it clear, however, that Curis Lazar - the team's 2013 first round draft pick - would not be traded by the team. The target for the Senators was narrowed down by Murray, "probably the one area that like a lot of teams we still need is another forward that has some impact, either in the scoring part of it or the physical part. Either/or, and I think that would address a need on our hockey team."
Gateway to the Cup?
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal believes that the St. Louis Blues will try to upgrade their goaltending by the trade deadline and could target Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller. The Blues could offer goalie Jaroslav Halak and a prospect or young forward in exchange for Miller but will not trade winger Dmitrij Jaskin.
Wheeling and Dealing
Matheson also reports the Pittsburgh Penguins would like to acquire Winnipeg Jets winger Blake Wheeler to play with Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz on the team's first line. The main obstacle, according to Matheson, is that the Jets are not interested in accepting draft picks in exchange for core players. The Penguins are reportedly willing to trade defenceman Simon Despres, their 2009 first round pick.
Blue Line, Blue Chip Addition?
According to Matheson, the Anaheim Ducks are looking to upgrade their defence and would like to add Dan Girardi of the New York Rangers. The Ducks are willing to move Luca Sbisa, Sheldon Souray and their two first round picks in 2014 (their own and the pick they acquired from Ottawa in the Bobby Ryan trade). Girardi is slated to become anunrestricted free-agent at the end of the season.
Not Good Enough
Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun reports Flames forwards Mike Cammalleri, Matt Stajan and Lee Stepniak are negatively impacting their trade value with their recent poor play. All three forwards have been linked to trade talk and will be unrestricted free-agents at the end of this season.

TradeCentre: Monday's reports from around the NHL

It's that time of the year again!! Discuss all news and rumors here.

Some big names we hear being throw around are Evander Kane, Big Buff, Michael Del Zotto.

Talk any moves you would like to see your team make or rumored to be involved in.

IMO, Moulson and Ott will both be moved by Buffalo, most likely each fetching a first round pick in return.

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edited to make Official thread title look, well, official (haha)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Squidy's not going to help his cause anytime soon now that he has a concussion (thanks Tanner Glass). Stajan seems to do this every year, plays all right at the start of the season, and then tails off big time. Stempniak is the definition of streaky.

/Burkie says, "We're open for business"

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edited to make Official thread title look, well, official (haha)

Did I screw something up? Lol I'm at work, could have hit something wrong on accident.

Squidy's not going to help his cause anytime soon now that he has a concussion (thanks Tanner Glass). Stajan seems to do this every year, plays all right at the start of the season, and then tails off big time. Stempniak is the definition of streaky.

/Burkie says, "We're open for business"

Interested to see where Cammi ends up, think you hold onto Gio, but Cammi would be a nice addition to plenty of teams in the league.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryn Murray willing to add pieces to make a Stanley Cup run and he talks about a forward? :pound:

While a good forward wouldn't go amiss, the Sens really need a solid defenseman to become anything close to a contender this year. Cody Ceci has been fantastic but he alone will not be good enough.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of right now Girardi is not going anywhere the Rangers are getting hot and he is a staple on this team. Now if we start tanking and by the deadline we are below.500 yea get what you can for him.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of right now Girardi is not going anywhere the Rangers are getting hot and he is a staple on this team. Now if we start tanking and by the deadline we are below.500 yea get what you can for him.

He's adjusted to the system pretty well over the last few weeks. I really hope we can shut down the Girardi trade rumors.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Gagner hears the chatter[/FONT]

Oilers center Sam Gagner has heard all the trade rumors lately and expects to hear more as the season makes its way to the March 5 trade deadline.
It has been widely reported that the Oilers are actively shopping Gagner, but could work with him to find a suitable destination.

With Gagner on the block, the Edmonton Sun believes he's one of many players the Oilers could deal this season.

"I've been through trade rumours my whole career, it seems," Gagner told the paper. "It's something I'm used to at this point. Unless something actually comes about, it's not something I'm worried about.
"There's going to be trade rumours if the team's not successful and if I haven't produced at the level I'm accustomed to as well. You have to expect that."
Gagner will be playing Friday night on the right wing of Edmonton's first line, alongside Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Taylor Hall, in order to "jump-start him," coach Dallas Eakins said.
Several other players are expected attract the interest of a number of teams by the deadline. Forwards Ales Hemsky and Ryan Smyth are being dangled as trade bait and both should be moved over the next two months.
Gagner, however, appears to want to stay in Alberta. "That's why I re-signed here in the summer, I wanted to see this through," he said. "I want to be on a winning team and I want it to be here. It's tough this year. It hasn't gone the way anyone's expected. You just have to continue to work hard and be positive about it."

The Fourth Period :: Edmonton Oilers :: Gagner hears the chatter

His and Hemsky's name always seem to be brought up each year.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blues should hold steady in goal. Elliott is the real deal and Halak is capable if he has playoff jitters.

Bringing Miller in will only upset the chemistry, IMO.

Lot of local talk about Gaborik. He is fighting hard to get back before the Olympics and rumor is he'd like to stay here. He will get time on the wing with Johansen and Foligno to show what he can do. Hope he's just good enough to land a first rounder and a veteran voice.

Also talk that Umberger might get a compliance buyout this summer. Foligno, Tropp and Skille make him incredibly redundant. If they can move him somewhere to a team looking for a guy with some grunt...

Plus he has a NTC. Thanks, Howson.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blues should hold steady in goal. Elliott is the real deal and Halak is capable if he has playoff jitters.

Lot of local talk about Gaborik. He is fighting hard to get back before the Olympics and rumor is he'd like to stay here. He will get time on the wing with Johansen and Foligno to show what he can do. Hope he's just good enough to land a first rounder and a veteran voice.

Also talk that Umberger might get a compliance buyout this summer. Foligno, Tropp and Skille make him incredibly redundant. If they can move him somewhere to a team looking for a guy with some grunt...

I'm sure Florida would be interested in trading for him - but I don't know if R.J. would waive to go there

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Florida would be interested in trading for him - but I don't know if R.J. would waive to go there

Yup. Him and Campbell could do some hitting drills together. :hockeysmile:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only way they re-sign Gabs is if he is healthy, doubt they sign him. They move him before the deadline, hearing the Rangers may be interested in him.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way they re-sign Gabs is if he is healthy, doubt they sign him. They move him before the deadline, hearing the Rangers may be interested in him.

I haven't been expecting him to stay, but if he can come in and play with Foligno and Johansen with the sudden Chemistry between the other two primary lines they've found (Horton-Anisimov-Jenner & Atkinson - Dubinsky - Calvert) the Jackets have 3 really solid scoring lines and 6 guys who can all grind the hell out of anyone (Umby, MacKenzie, Skille, Comeau, Tropp, The Test Tube).

They can also live without Gabby, so they won't have to jump at any deal. It has to be a good one. Only one we sent to NYR I really want back is Johnny Moore, but even then I don't know who he'd oust from a spot. Nash I'd take, but I expect that to be later when he's a UFA. He'll come back. Gaborik alone isn't near enough to land him and no one else needs to move except Umby and the Rangers are fools if they want him.

They can have Boll. :D

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canucks need such an influx of offense its stupid. They need a game changer, he doesnt have to be a 40 goal scorer or a 30 goal scorer but we need someone that just tips the scale. it is incredibly frustrating to watch this pop gun offense when its needed most on PP and late in a game.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canucks need such an influx of offense its stupid. They need a game changer, he doesnt have to be a 40 goal scorer or a 30 goal scorer but we need someone that just tips the scale. it is incredibly frustrating to watch this pop gun offense when its needed most on PP and late in a game.

yah there isnt one guy they can get at the trade deadline that would put them into the next level and make them become legit cup contenders .... they need Bo to come in next year and provide something (i think he will) and they need to find scoring / toughness in the offseason with all the cap space they will have

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah there isnt one guy they can get at the trade deadline that would put them into the next level and make them become legit cup contenders .... they need Bo to come in next year and provide something (i think he will) and they need to find scoring / toughness in the offseason with all the cap space they will have

Im wary of what Gillis would do in a panic move (see Roy) anyways so Im almost hoping they do nothing get Bo for next year and load on a couple UFAs. although part of me wants to see what a Evander Kane and Zack Kassian line would do with Kesler in the middle

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Flyers, I'd like to see them make a move on defense - I really want Dmitry Kulikov in Florida - I think Florida would be willing to move him(a deal w/ Colorado almost happened a while back) - I would really consider giving up Scott Laughton for him - I know you build up the middle, but the Flyers already have G, Couts and Brayden Schenn - that's a pretty good 1-2-3 that's still young and can grow - I think the Flyers really need that young up and coming d-man that can move the puck and create offense - Kulikov's ceiling is still high

For the Kings, they obviously need a scorer, preferably a winger - I'd like Matt Moulson a lot but who knows if the Kings would give up their first for him - also, I'd try to get a d-man if at all possible - I'd use guys like Jake Muzzin, Trevor Lewis, Kyle Clifford, Matt Greene and Matt Frattin as trade bait - I think there's value in at least guys like Jake Muzzin

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Briere for A-Train swap would be a solid move for the Devils, no idea if the Habs would have a need for him. Similar in pay, A-Train is signed for 1 year more. Briere's salary coming off the books after next year would be big since Schneider will be a free agent.