• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Off Season Moves/News/Rumors/Discussion Thread

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I had wondered what your take was going to be on this. I mostly agree, but then again I've always felt Tubagoo was due to break down much sooner than later...dude is just obese, and as someone who dropped from 200-180 (I'm 6-2) I can tell you that a vegetarian diet doesn't really help. Proteins aren't the problem; carbs are. And a vegetarian diet can be quite high in carbs (pasta, bread, sweets). Dude's a walking time bomb just like his dad. So, I didn't even want him on a 5 year deal, much less NINE. As for the tiggers, I suspect they will try Miggy at 3b -- don't know how that will work out. I think had VMart not had the season ending injury that Tubagoo would still be out there waiting for an offer. I think Cabrera and he will end up doing the 1b/DH shuffle. IMO, DHing is the worst thing for Tubagoo...he'll only get fatter.

You keep calling the guy obese and saying he's going to break down, but you'd figure that at his weight, he would have already started. Yet he's one of the most consistent players in baseball: 157, 158, 159, 162, 161, 162.

Maybe now that he has his monster deal he will not be so worried about staying in shape. But I honestly do not see him suddenly sitting out 10 game stretches because of balky knees. In a couple years down the line if he doesn't start bringing down his weight? Sure. But not to the extent that he is a liability to his team.

Guess we just see things differently.

Oh, and I went from 215 down to 180 and I am 6-1. I keep it down by limiting my food intake (quantity) and limiting the amount of processed foods I eat (quality). The only difference between then and now physically is that I can run longer. I am not faster, me knees don't hurt any less and I don't have a sudden youthful energy that wasn't there at 215.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad he's out of the National League. The Brewers appear to be a team The Giants will not have to worry too much about next season.

Definitely not for the first 50 games... and likely, the rest, after a demoralizing start.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely not for the first 50 games... and likely, the rest, after a demoralizing start.

I could easily check myself but too lazy: anyone know if we are lucky enough to play them in those Braun-less games?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Trading Victor Martinez is also an option.

Cabrera may say that he's willing to play third, but Jim Leyland will have none of that shizz. Cabrera at third would be as bad as Aubrey Huff at third.

In 2012, Fielder and Cabrera will likely alternate at 1B/DH or Cabrera will play first while Fielder is the DH.

In 2013, One of the three will have to go. My guess is that Victor Martinez will be the one to go.

I think it will be very hard to trade a 34 year old, $25 million dollar DH coming off a full missed year and has a reputation of injuries throughout his career.

Call me crazy.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could easily check myself but too lazy: anyone know if we are lucky enough to play them in those Braun-less games?

By my calculations, Braun should make his debut for the Brewers on June 1st. Giants have 2 series with the Brew Crew this year. The first a home series May 4th-6th. The second on the road May 21st-23rd.

We shouldn't be seeing Braun this year (unless it's October)

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my calculations, Braun should make his debut for the Brewers on June 1st. Giants have 2 series with the Brew Crew this year. The first a home series May 4th-6th. The second on the road May 21st-23rd.

We shouldn't be seeing Braun this year (unless it's October)

It's the little things like that...maybe we net 1 additional win we wouldn't have if he played in those 6 games?

Anyway it doesn't suck.

Repped for the assist.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep calling the guy obese and saying he's going to break down, but you'd figure that at his weight, he would have already started. Yet he's one of the most consistent players in baseball: 157, 158, 159, 162, 161, 162.

Maybe now that he has his monster deal he will not be so worried about staying in shape. But I honestly do not see him suddenly sitting out 10 game stretches because of balky knees. In a couple years down the line if he doesn't start bringing down his weight? Sure. But not to the extent that he is a liability to his team.

Guess we just see things differently.

Oh, and I went from 215 down to 180 and I am 6-1. I keep it down by limiting my food intake (quantity) and limiting the amount of processed foods I eat (quality). The only difference between then and now physically is that I can run longer. I am not faster, me knees don't hurt any less and I don't have a sudden youthful energy that wasn't there at 215.

I guess we'll have to (again) respectfully disagree, Cam. When you're making that kind of money, any missed time is significant. Given his body type, he'll quite likely deteriorate pretty quickly:

Curve2.jpg

That's from fangraphs, the article is here: How Will Prince Fielder Age? | FanGraphs Baseball

Here's the money shot:

PrinceFinal.jpg

You can see that, if he follows the projection, he'll be worth his contract (barely) this year, and a liability after that. Also, take into account that this article includes all players who are over 3.25 lbs/inch of height (i.e. for a 6' player that's 234 -- let's be generous and say Tubagoo is 6') and Tuba is 3.89 lbs/inch. He'll likely deteriorate quicker.

Re: weight loss -- I agree. I don't feel lighter nor do my runs (5mi 3x a week) seem much easier. I am a bit quicker, as I now can complete the run in less than 40 minutes. I agree it's quantity, but mostly it's type of food for me. I can eat all the steak, chicken, and even cheese I want. What I can't have a lot of is bagels, regular ice cream (skinny cow is ok), pasta, and especially pastries. In other words, all the shit I love. 215 to 180 is a pretty amazing drop, congrats on that bro. Your family and friends will have you around a lot longer. I thought 195 to 180 was good....sheesh!

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be very hard to trade a 34 year old, $25 million dollar DH coming off a full missed year and has a reputation of injuries throughout his career.

Call me crazy.

Do not let Sabey Sabes know about this. And do NOT allow VMart to hire Bor-ass as an agent, and then have lunch with Sabes. We may look back at Zeets' contract as the Golden Years of Sanity. :couch2:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess we'll have to (again) respectfully disagree, Cam. When you're making that kind of money, any missed time is significant. Given his body type, he'll quite likely deteriorate pretty quickly:

Curve2.jpg

That's from fangraphs, the article is here: How Will Prince Fielder Age? | FanGraphs Baseball

Here's the money shot:

PrinceFinal.jpg

You can see that, if he follows the projection, he'll be worth his contract (barely) this year, and a liability after that. Also, take into account that this article includes all players who are over 3.25 lbs/inch of height (i.e. for a 6' player that's 234 -- let's be generous and say Tubagoo is 6') and Tuba is 3.89 lbs/inch. He'll likely deteriorate quicker.

Re: weight loss -- I agree. I don't feel lighter nor do my runs (5mi 3x a week) seem much easier. I am a bit quicker, as I now can complete the run in less than 40 minutes. I agree it's quantity, but mostly it's type of food for me. I can eat all the steak, chicken, and even cheese I want. What I can't have a lot of is bagels, regular ice cream (skinny cow is ok), pasta, and especially pastries. In other words, all the shit I love. 215 to 180 is a pretty amazing drop, congrats on that bro. Your family and friends will have you around a lot longer. I thought 195 to 180 was good....sheesh!

Now see, you go and spoil all my thoughts and opinions with charts and graphs and factual analysis. You are no fun at all.

As for the weight drop, it kinda sucked because I had to go out and buy new pants and shorts. I am a frugal guy and having to crop a few hundred bones to replace clothes that were not torn or stained in any way was harsh.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now see, you go and spoil all my thoughts and opinions with charts and graphs and factual analysis. You are no fun at all.

As for the weight drop, it kinda sucked because I had to go out and buy new pants and shorts. I am a frugal guy and having to crop a few hundred bones to replace clothes that were not torn or stained in any way was harsh.

Garage sales are fun! Who doesn't want to wake up early on a day off to haggle with people over shit that they don't even really want (or need) and you don't have space for anymore? At least Goodwill or a family member benefited from you getting healthier. Tax deduction? Ehhhhh? :think:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree; I've got a couple of suits that hang off of me now. I'm not sure if I should take them in or just get new suits. Still and all, if that's my hardship I've got a good life.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree; I've got a couple of suits that hang off of me now. I'm not sure if I should take them in or just get new suits. Still and all, if that's my hardship I've got a good life.

Yes. I believe these are referred to as First World Problems. We are blessed. Countdown to Scottsdale!

jingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Clay Hensley Signs

The Giants have reached a low-risk deal with relief pitcher Clay Hensley, according to a report from ESPN.

It's a one-year, major-league deal worth $750K and an additional $300K in incentives, but it's not guaranteed; Hensley will have to make the team out of Spring Training in order to be paid.

Hensley, 32, has a career record of 24-29 with a 3.94 ERA over six seasons with the Padres and Marlins.

The right-handed pitcher already has a place in the Giants history books, having given up Barry Bonds' 755th home run, an opposite-field bullet at Petco Park.

He is no stranger to the Giants front office, either. Hensley was drafted by GM Brian Sabean in 2002 and pitched for manager Bruce Bochy with the Padres.

He served a 15-game suspension for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs in the minors in 2005.

Read more: Report: Giants agree to one-year deal with Hensley
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have reached a low-risk deal with relief pitcher Clay Hensley, according to a report from ESPN.

It's a one-year, major-league deal worth $750K and an additional $300K in incentives, but it's not guaranteed; Hensley will have to make the team out of Spring Training in order to be paid.

Hensley, 32, has a career record of 24-29 with a 3.94 ERA over six seasons with the Padres and Marlins.

The right-handed pitcher already has a place in the Giants history books, having given up Barry Bonds' 755th home run, an opposite-field bullet at Petco Park.

He is no stranger to the Giants front office, either. Hensley was drafted by GM Brian Sabean in 2002 and pitched for manager Bruce Bochy with the Padres.

He served a 15-game suspension for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs in the minors in 2005.

Read more: Report: Giants agree to one-year deal with Hensley
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Starting depth, had a good season in 2010.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I always liked that guy....besides, how often do you get to add someone whose first initial is "X".

He want to Cal. What's not to like?

The only other pro athlete I can think of whose first initial is X is Xavier McDaniel.