• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

oct 18 not a peep countdown

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two thoughts....

1) Why trade him now? He has very little value for the remaining season.

2) I don't miss him at all. Our offense has some serious flaws, but they are much more fun to watch with Dalton, Gresham and Green then they were last season.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure we get anything at all for him if he retires.

not saying we will or should, just answering the question.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't miss him either, but I still say get something for him if possible.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Seattle would give their left nut plus an arm and a leg for Palmer right now. Their QB situation is complete crap, Palmer is a Carroll guy, and that division is wide open. Give him 3 weeks to learn the system and they still have 8 weeks with Palmer.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Two thoughts....

2) I don't miss him at all. Our offense has some serious flaws, but they are much more fun to watch with Dalton, Gresham and Green then they were last season.

1. It's not as though Palmer's contract expires after the yr. If a team is willing to trade for Palmer it's because they likely see him as a QB for their franchise over the next 3-4 seasons. The worst case scenario is that he'll get a jump start on learning the offense for the 2012 season. If Palmer really wants to be traded (he's proven he does), he'll restructre his contract to a favorable deal for his next team. His value is what it is at this point. I don't see it going up.

2. It was time for him to go, and almost everybody not named Mike Brown would agree. Dalton's comeback win against the Bills was nice, but he's the 27th rated passer in the NFL after 4 games. The team is horrific on 3rd down. if they brought in a solid vet (Hasslebeck) I'd feel much better about the team's chances of competing this yr

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer holds little to no value. He'll never play in the league again. OOPS!

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Palmer holds little to no value. He'll never play in the league again. OOPS!

He could show up tommorow and force Mike Brown to cut a player and make him the highest paid scout team QB in the NFL. his career will be over when he files his retirement paper work

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could show up tommorow and force Mike Brown to cut a player and make him the highest paid scout team QB in the NFL. his career will be over when he files his retirement paper work

He won't do that. He's a free man come the 2014 season. Career = over. Fuck him.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals not looking like they'll trade Palmer by deadline - Scoop Du Jour - NFLBlog - Yahoo! Sports

Brown can't win football games, but he can win the worlds most high profile staring contest... damn it.

Thats just funny...and then again it isn't! GO BENGALS!!!
icon15.gif

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could show up tomorrow and force Mike Brown to cut a player and make him the highest paid scout team QB in the NFL. his career will be over when he files his retirement paper work

I don't think eligible for the practice squad, if he comes back, he has to be on the 53 man roster. He could still be third string QB though. But we wouldn't release the practice squad QB we have now, since there would be no point in it. We'd have to release a WR,LB,DB or something like that.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He won't do that. He's a free man come the 2014 season. Career = over. Fuck him.

I don't think his contract runs through 2014. it's for the next 4 seasons of his career. if he ever shows he's owed his 50 million in salary over 4 yrs... I think he's holding out for a trade, but at some point he's going to show up if MB refuses to trade him (assuming CP still wants to play football)

even "NFL insider" Jay Glazer said Mike Brown will eventually trade him, but on his terms.

it's probably going to be on draft day of next yr. but as well as things are going maybe MB's presuaded to trade him before the draft so Palmer can't show up this season.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think his contract runs through 2014. it's for the next 4 seasons of his career. if he ever shows he's owed his 50 million in salary over 4 yrs... I think he's holding out for a trade, but at some point he's going to show up if MB refuses to trade him (assuming CP still wants to play football)

even "NFL insider" Jay Glazer said Mike Brown will eventually trade him, but on his terms.

it's probably going to be on draft day of next yr. but as well as things are going maybe MB's presuaded to trade him before the draft so Palmer can't show up this season.

good point, the legal semantics of this are not always forthcoming.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think eligible for the practice squad, if he comes back, he has to be on the 53 man roster. He could still be third string QB though. But we wouldn't release the practice squad QB we have now, since there would be no point in it. We'd have to release a WR,LB,DB or something like that.

I wasn't refering to the the practice squad. By "scout team" I meant he would be practicing as Blaine Gabbert and simulating the Jags offense at practice to give the defense a look at what they'll face on Sunday. I'm not even sure if he'd literally run the scout team offense, it's just a reference to how highly he'd be paid to be a low QB on the depth chart.

and yea, they would have to cut someone from the 53 man squad, most likely after a 2 week exemption

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Two thoughts....

1) He has plenty of value for a team like the 49ers. They're sitting at 3-1 in the easiest division in the league and are the frontrunners to win their division. And their QB is the weakest spot on the roster. I think they'd be willing to give up more now for their almost guaranteed playoff run than they would over the offseason when the following season is a question mark as far as how good the other divisional teams are going to be.

2a) I do miss Palmer. Cake schedule. Pittsburgh seems to be in all sorts of ruts. Really the only divisional contender right now is the Ravens. Had Palmer been here all season, I think we'd win the division as we usually own the Ravens. And even if he were to come back now, he could be ready for the tougher part of the schedule. I would take him back with open arms.

2b) If Palmer came back, 2/3 of your equation would still be there. And there is nothing Dalton is doing on the field that makes him any more exciting or fun to watch than Palmer or any other QB with any kind of talent. What's fun is when a QB catches fire and makes all the passes, Dalton has shown the ability to do that yet. All that said, I really don't give two craps about how fun someone or a team as a whole is to watch. I don't care if Dalton is high-fiving people on the sidelines or showing emotion when he runs the ball into the endzone, I just want a winning team. And I want the QB that gives me the best chance - Palmer. It ends there for me.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As for the article itself, non-story.

It didn't add anything new. Just speculating because one more day has passed, despite still having 2 weeks left, Palmer is less likely to be traded. Illogical. Must be a slow news day.

Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that if Brown is planning on trading Palmer before the deadline, there's a 95% chance it'll be the day before or day of the deadline. Trading him tomorrow or yesterday makes no sense.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with your assessment of Palmer. I think he is finished. I think his game has been slipping since he hurt his arm and I expect him to look more like a late career Bledsoe (immobile, inaccurate, turnover machine) than anything else.

I'm not saying that Dalton is playing at a high level and I'm certainly not suggesting we are contenders. But, I'd rather watch guys with potential for the future rather than keep throwing out Palmer and over-the-hill receivers. Palmer did us all a favor. Mike Brown would have stayed loyal to Palmer and wouldn't have used a high pick for a new qb if it weren't for Palmer wanting out.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with your assessment of Palmer. I think he is finished. I think his game has been slipping since he hurt his arm and I expect him to look more like a late career Bledsoe (immobile, inaccurate, turnover machine) than anything else.

I'm not saying that Dalton is playing at a high level and I'm certainly not suggesting we are contenders. But, I'd rather watch guys with potential for the future rather than keep throwing out Palmer and over-the-hill receivers. Palmer did us all a favor. Mike Brown would have stayed loyal to Palmer and wouldn't have used a high pick for a new qb if it weren't for Palmer wanting out.

+1, on all points....