• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker’s gotta think about his next contract. If his last good year going into the 2023 season is 2020 and he’s been whiny and injured the past two years and lacking leadership, his next contract will be garbage - if he even gets one.

If he provides a steady hand and gets them to the playoffs with solid play, it could mean the difference between a five-year $100 million contract with somebody and a two-year $6 million contract.
Or a one year prove it.

He's like a woman scorned. I think now it's more about his fragile ego not the $.

Time will tell.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Mayfield wants to give then a nanosecond of his time.
For $18 million?

If they cut him, how much do you think he'll be able to sign for?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he provides a steady hand and gets them to the playoffs with solid play, it could mean the difference between a five-year $100 million contract with somebody and a two-year $6 million contract.
Good lord nobody is going to offer Mayfield a 100 million dollar contract unless he plays like Jared Allen or Mahomes for a stretch and that is just not going to happen, but a season ending injury certainly could happen. He's not going play for the Browns.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lord nobody is going to offer Mayfield a 100 million dollar contract unless he plays like Jared Allen or Mahomes for a stretch and that is just not going to happen, but a season ending injury certainly could happen. He's not going play for the Browns.
Inflation. Every non-stopgap starting QB not on a rookie deal is making $25M+ per year, and all but Brady and Cousins are on contracts of $120 million+. That includes Goff, Wentz and Tannehill, who are all making $30M a year.

If Mayfield had a 2022 year like 2020, he'd definitely be in line for a $100M five-year contract in 2023 as a starter somewhere, which would be way below all those guys.

As things are now he'd be lucky to get a three-year $25M contract. And that won't improve by him sitting.

(Mayfield did have a four-game stretch in 2020 where he averaged 300+ yards, 2.5 passing TDs, and a 70% completion rate, so yeah he probably would need a Mahomes or Allen stretch, but he's capable of it.)

That's why I think if the Browns don't move him or cut him, he'll want to play. But he'll want the Browns to do an apology dance first. Which they would probably do.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they cut him he still gets that 18M.

He could sign elsewhere for 7M and have 25M
You're right... but then why would they cut him? Just for a roster spot? They sure don't need the cap space.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. Every non-stopgap starting QB not on a rookie deal is making $25M+ per year,
However at the moment Mayfield is considered a stop-gap QB. I hear stuff like he's better the Lock, he's better then Darnold but that just a contest on who smells the least offensive. Filling in for Watson isn't going to convince anyone different. He's going to have to prove himself in the same manner that Tannehill did, go to a new team and prove himself. All filling in for Watson does is risking a injury.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be a hell of a career change for Mayfield.

giphy.gif

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports the "divide intensifies in the league office over handling of Deshaun Watson."​

The story around Watson continues to grow as two more women reportedly look to file suit against him -- which would bring the total to 26. According to Florio, a source close to the situation said "the league is very concerned about the drip, drip, drip of more cases being filed." Since the March trade that sent Watson to the Browns, a 23rd and 24th lawsuit was filed -- those coming shortly after the league reported it was nearing an end to the Watson investigation. Now, the additional cases only further complicate whatever penalty the NFL ultimately chooses to hand down, with Florio reporting that some in the league office want Watson "sidelined until the litigation has completely ended." With no end to this situation in sight, we can't completely rule out a reunion with Baker Mayfield in 2022 as long as he remains on the roster.

If they were so concerned about it they'd have decided his punishment by now.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However at the moment Mayfield is considered a stop-gap QB. I hear stuff like he's better the Lock, he's better then Darnold but that just a contest on who smells the least offensive. Filling in for Watson isn't going to convince anyone different. He's going to have to prove himself in the same manner that Tannehill did, go to a new team and prove himself. All filling in for Watson does is risking a injury.

It's not just "stuff". There is evidence he's better than both of them.

There is a reason Carolina wants him and Seattle would gladly take him as a FA.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A year sure makes a lot of sense and is well deseved IMO, but I would be surprised its they did it.

I have to find the answer to this when I'm not feeling so lazy, but like I said at some point a few pages back, I thought I read somewhere that if a player is suspended for a full season their contract basically tolls. This would be the same as sitting out a year I guess. But, in one big way it doesn't make sense because a tolling contract would mean you receive it all, just a year later, so their would be no real penalty other than the time value of money. Maybe it was Ridleys case I read about?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they were so concerned about it they'd have decided his punishment by now.
Completely disagree with this. It's the opposite IMO. Why rush it? I think if they weren't concerned and felt they had a good handle on the situation they'd just dole out a penalty, but the fact that they are very concerned and unsure what the magnitude of the transgressions are is why they will wait as long as the can. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes right before training camp at the end of July or more likely right before the regular season starts. :2cents:

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right... but then why would they cut him? Just for a roster spot? They sure don't need the cap space.
Yes, roster space. Gotta remember teams cut guys they want to keep, because those on IR must be on the roster on final cut, to be moved to IR and then they hope they can bring back one or two guys. I really doubt the Browns burn a spot on a guy they don't want, and he doesn't want to be there.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A year sure makes a lot of sense and is well deseved IMO, but I would be surprised its they did it.

I have to find the answer to this when I'm not feeling so lazy, but like I said at some point a few pages back, I thought I read somewhere that if a player is suspended for a full season their contract basically tolls. This would be the same as sitting out a year I guess. But, in one big way it doesn't make sense because a tolling contract would mean you receive it all, just a year later, so their would be no real penalty other than the time value of money. Maybe it was Ridleys case I read about?
Maybe you're right, but I think that's if the player sits out. If a player is on the exempt list I believe he still gets paid.
I know exempt lists and suspensions tack on years the team controls your rights (Gregory for example).

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, roster space. Gotta remember teams cut guys they want to keep, because those on IR must be on the roster on final cut, to be moved to IR and then they hope they can bring back one or two guys. I really doubt the Browns burn a spot on a guy they don't want, and he doesn't want to be there.
If Watson's out and they cut Mayfield they don't even have a third QB on their team right now.

And one of the teams likely to snap up a cut Mayfield is the Steelers. (That would be fun.)

I have a hard time believing they’d cut him if they can’t trade him. Just make kissy face and play him.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Watson's out and they cut Mayfield they don't even have a third QB on their team right now.

And one of the teams likely to snap up a cut Mayfield is the Steelers. (That would be fun.)

I have a hard time believing they’d cut him if they can’t trade him. Just make kissy face and play him.
But Watson HAS to be on the 53 man roster day one, then he's moved to exempt or suspended. To keep Mayfield they'd have to carry 4 QB's day one, and cut another player they want to keep, hoping no other team claims that player.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than likely the Browns eventually give in and take the best offer Carolina is offering.