• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the DA screwed the pooch here. I'm not guaranteeing he's guilty, but I think a true jury should have had a chance to decide.
I can get behind that.....but the idea knowing only what you do (which isn't much) you hope he misses all of 2022-2023.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked at over the cap and for 2023 they have the Browns in the hole for 30,772,262.

View attachment 298987

Only the Bucs and Saints have a worse cap situation.
I didn't realize you could carry cap space into the next year. Looks like you can. So they're still $10M to the good for 2023.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize you could carry cap space into the next year. Looks like you can. So they're still $10M to the good for 2023.
So far but the cap space for following season end up shrinking as bonus become realized and the cap space gets adjusted and of course injuries tend to chew it up also.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns have been exceptional at this over the years. why there have been a number of seasons where they were among the top spenders AND top or at least top half in cap space.

I think they are keeping the cap space open figuring they can use it if needed (which maybe they will if there's another QB they want to pay or they'll roll it over. This gives them options.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far but the cap space for following season end up shrinking as bonus become realized and the cap space gets adjusted and of course injuries tend to chew it up also.
OK, but this gives the Browns options they don't have if they pay Watson (or garrett or ward or Njoku, etc) more this season. Now they can either use it on another player or players or roll it over.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, they keep saying unless it's something criminal he wont go on exempt list....guess that could still be revisited and not set in stone.
The league and its owners dont care about due process brother. They care about money and image

Theres no shot they trot a guy out to start at QB under 24 active cases of sexual misconduct

Theyd get crucified

Id bet pretty much every dollar i have that Watson doesnt see the field til these cases are settled

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are missing the point - it's not about whether the Browns made it easier for Watson to get his money even if suspended. Teams were bidding against each other, and each trying to offer him a better deal than the others, somehow. I'm sure him getting money even if suspended was a topic with all of them.

The point is that several NFL teams wanted to throw hella cash at someone despicable and unaccountable because he's a great QB. The Browns found a way to throw more.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a genetality sex crimes are nearly impossible to prove criminally. Its why so few are reported to begin with

Theyre almost all a "he said, she said" scenario which is ostensibly built in reasonable doubt

Civilly though the bar is muchhhhh lower.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely but last year it was a bigger concern and If I'm not mistaken it would be a 3rd grand jury?
Damn, I think you're right about it being a 3rd. I guess if the DA sees that at least one accuser is full of shit, it could sway the whole thing to not-guilty.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if they pay him $30 mil+ but want to replace him with someone else if he gets a long suspension (or want to bring in another high priced player)?

You'd have to have an agenda for you to keep going with this as often you are just arguing with yourself and/or moving the goal posts. First it was, "they have so much cap room, so why not use it"? Then it was, "wait this is different now forget I asked that" the kicker was you even admitted if he was not going to be suspended he'd have signed for the same deal...meaning this is simply how the Browns operate when it comes to large deals/extensions.
No I never changed my stance and am not coming off of anything. It was always and still is all of the factors. Most important and why this is a topic and clearly different from every other signing is because he is going to be suspended. But, even with that, If they didn't have $40M in cap space they couldn't give him $30M so AGAIN your point is off base. It's the fact that they have all of the cap space and because of that cap space have the luxury of structuring a deal in a way that wouldn't hurt the team with a player about to be suspended. His case is nothing like any other player they signed. They of course didn't do this because he likely wasn't signing with them if they did, but certainly they did it to help him as it only hurts them, not helps them like with the other players. Anyone without blinders on can see (admit?) this.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is that several NFL teams wanted to throw hella cash at someone despicable and unaccountable because he's a great QB.
Yes it does appear that way and if another team signed him to a like contract , then that team would receive the criticism the Browns are getting now.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a genetality sex crimes are nearly impossible to prove criminally. Its why so few are reported to begin with

Theyre almost all a "he said, she said" scenario which is ostensibly built in reasonable doubt

Agree, My wifes ex B-I-L was accused of molestation. The way it played out I had my doubts, his court appointed attorney told him it's best if he plea bargains into no serving no time. That was a mistake if he was innocent as his life is now screwed.

He asked my advice, I told him if he's innocent he needs to fight, because if he coops any kind of plea his fcked.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked at over the cap and for 2023 they have the Browns in the hole for 30,772,262.

View attachment 298987

Only the Bucs and Saints have a worse cap situation.
Now look at the next two years. IIRC The Browns are like $50M worse off than any other team. One would think they could benefit from giving Watson a $30M salary this year and have $15M of it never hit their cap instead of what they did. But one would need to drop their agenda and admit it...

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another aspect of this from the leagues perspective is that just what we already know to be true is definitely enough to suspend Watson under the personal conduct policy

Going to massage sessions, propositioning women for sex acts and then refusing payment to them if they don't sign a NDA is more than enough to warrant a suspension

That's assuming Watson didn't force himself on any of them without consent

The rest is just extra shit to consider

Ironically Watson probably would've been in far less hot water had he just been busted with 24 hookers. I'm not sure what he could have possibly been thinking here. Even without forcible acts it's easily suspendable and for a lengthy suspension too

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and some others including you have definitely dug their heals on something that is pretty much factually incorrect and so easily to refute.

I mean, many heard about the low base and thought what you did (I did, too)...but then they learned the truth and could see they were incorrect. You have not nor will you at this point. In too deep I guess.
Dude, you literally take the things people say to you and repeat them against others. It's comical at this point. Ever notice you keep like 5 different threads going by arguing with like 20 people? Doesn't that tell you anything? I know, I know, it's everyone else that's wrong :L

No one learned anything. Anyone who follows football knows that is how these contracts are structured to help the teams. What you don't seem to be able to grasp is his case is different and this type of structure actually hurts the team.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes and Watson was taking no chances so he made sure no other person on premises and no camera and by the way I need you to sign this piece of paper I brought with me.