• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league and its owners dont care about due process brother. They care about money and image

Theres no shot they trot a guy out to start at QB under 24 active cases of sexual misconduct

Theyd get crucified

Id bet pretty much every dollar i have that Watson doesnt see the field til these cases are settled
They will also get crucified if they sit him down for 2 seasons based on a he said she said if it's proven they lied and/or recant. They can easily explain a lighter sentence by saying there simply wasn't enough evidence. will they? who knows.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are missing the point - it's not about whether the Browns made it easier for Watson to get his money even if suspended. Teams were bidding against each other, and each trying to offer him a better deal than the others, somehow. I'm sure him getting money even if suspended was a topic with all of them.

The point is that several NFL teams wanted to throw hella cash at someone despicable and unaccountable because he's a great QB. The Browns found a way to throw more.
No disagreement there....I'd even add because Cleveland was likely a less desirable location for him the Browns had to and were willing to pay more than the others.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far but the cap space for following season end up shrinking as bonus become realized and the cap space gets adjusted and of course injuries tend to chew it up also.

Still. Point remains they aren't as in bad as shape as you're trying to paint. And they can burn Cooper next year also after June 1st if need be.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I never changed my stance and am not coming off of anything. It was always and still is all of the factors. Most important and why this is a topic and clearly different from every other signing is because he is going to be suspended. But, even with that, If they didn't have $40M in cap space they couldn't give him $30M so AGAIN your point is off base. It's the fact that they have all of the cap space and because of that cap space have the luxury of structuring a deal in a way that wouldn't hurt the team with a player about to be suspended. His case is nothing like any other player they signed. They of course didn't do this because he likely wasn't signing with them if they did, but certainly they did it to help him as it only hurts them, not helps them like with the other players. Anyone without blinders on can see (admit?) this.
so the Browns were forced to sign him to the same type of deal they always use?

The horror.

The Browns can a) pay him #30 mil+ this year and have little to no room to add another player (like, say, another QB if need be) or b) Pay him what they pay all others in large deals and have room to add other players if they want...if not, roll over the money.

Pretty simple, but I cannot make you understand (or lose your agenda).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still. Point remains they aren't as in bad as shape as you're trying to paint. And they can burn Cooper next year also after June 1st if need be.
Oh yeah they can find players to cut I'm sure, but does that help the roster?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league and its owners dont care about due process brother. They care about money and image

Theres no shot they trot a guy out to start at QB under 24 active cases of sexual misconduct

Theyd get crucified

Id bet pretty much every dollar i have that Watson doesnt see the field til these cases are settled
I tend to disagree. Houston did the right thing last year and refused to play him. The Browns sold their soul and will, IMO only, absolutely play him. It's ridiculous, but I don't think they would have giving up the huge haul of picks and ridiculous contract to him if the weren't planning on playing him for all games for which he is not suspended. People can criticize their decision of course, but I think they made up their minds long ago. If I were a Browns fan I would have hated what the gave in picks and salary for Watson, but if they did all of that AND didn't play him I'd be calling for heads. Can you imagine setting your team back years by what they gave him and gave up for him and not playing him? That would be career suicide for everyone in their front office IMO

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to disagree. Houston did the right thing last year and refused to play him. The Browns sold their soul and will, IMO only, absolutely play him. It's ridiculous, but I don't think they would have giving up the huge haul of picks and ridiculous contract to him if the weren't planning on playing him for all games for which he is not suspended. People can criticize their decision of course, but I think they made up their minds long ago. If I were a Browns fan I would have hated what the gave in picks and salary for Watson, but if they did all of that AND didn't play him I'd be calling for heads. Can you imagine setting your team back years by what they gave him and gave up for him and not playing him? That would be career suicide for everyone in their front office IMO
Yes but he was talking about the league office not the Browns. Browns no longer have a soul.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you literally take the things people say to you and repeat them against others. It's comical at this point. Ever notice you keep like 5 different threads going by arguing with like 20 people? Doesn't that tell you anything? I know, I know, it's everyone else that's wrong :L

No one learned anything. Anyone who follows football knows that is how these contracts are structured to help the teams. What you don't seem to be able to grasp is his case is different and this type of structure actually hurts the team.
It's about 4-5 different people who cannot grasp the truth here. I mean, even one thought he understood but didn't. As an adult, though, he was able to simply say he was not aware and changed his mind.

Isn't to say I thought you or the others were capable of that.

I'll try one more approach....his contract only hurts the team if they are concerned about the overall money spent (not the cap and this season). Guessing the owner cares more about the cap and THIS season so if he has to spend more when the cap is set to explode anyway (and/or he'll have carry over) who cares unless you are his heir or accountant?

Again, I say this knowing it's not in you to even try to get out of the hole you have dug but I tried.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the Browns were forced to sign him to the same type of deal they always use?

The horror.

The Browns can a) pay him #30 mil+ this year and have little to no room to add another player (like, say, another QB if need be) or b) Pay him what they pay all others in large deals and have room to add other players if they want...if not, roll over the money.

Pretty simple, but I cannot make you understand (or lose your agenda).
Completely Wrong. Some teams don't even have $10M from day one and still operate fine. And more importantly, as i said when I used $30M in my example, use whatever you want. Use $10M use $20M. Use $30M, use whatever. The point is still the point. By paying him a larger salary this year they would help their cap. By paying him $1M they hurt their cap. Which is different from what they did with every other player.

Current salary of $1M: Browns save $500K if he is suspended half the year (assuming a 16 game season)
With a base salary of $30M: Browns save $15M if suspended half the year

It's clear as day unless you are wearing your Homer glasses

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but he was talking about the league office not the Browns. Browns no longer have a soul.
Ahh. My bad. He did say exempt list I think so I'm wrong there.Comment withdrawn. As far as the league goes I don't know what the heck I think they will do

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Cleveland will play him. Its the other 31 owners who arent going to let that happen. And yes 10 of those 31 were trying to sign him.

But they didnt

So now theyre not going to want him to play because the cost to them isnt worth giving Watson the benefit of the doubt

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about 4-5 different people who cannot grasp the truth here. I mean, even one thought he understood but didn't. As an adult, though, he was able to simply say he was not aware and changed his mind.

Isn't to say I thought you or the others were capable of that.

I'll try one more approach....his contract only hurts the team if they are concerned about the overall money spent (not the cap and this season). Guessing the owner cares more about the cap and THIS season so if he has to spend more when the cap is set to explode anyway (and/or he'll have carry over) who cares unless you are his heir or accountant?

Again, I say this knowing it's not in you to even try to get out of the hole you have dug but I tried.
Why wouldn't it also help the cap if he were suspended and they gave him $30M instead of $1M?
If he has a total contract of $236M (or whatever) and he is suspended half the year the total cap hit of the contract will be $235.5M. However, If his year one salary was $30M and he was suspended half the year the total cap hit of his contract would be $221M. Thats a clear benefit to the cap over the life of the contract

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Cleveland will play him. Its the other 31 owners who arent going to let that happen. And yes 10 of those 31 were trying to sign him.

But they didnt

So now theyre not going to want him to play because the cost to them isnt worth giving Watson the benefit of the doubt
Yup, I agree. I misread your original post. My bad

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you can always cut guys, but that's $15M in dead money if they cut Cooper next year

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really is more than Baker and Watson for some of you all. You guys have a bizarre obsession with the Browns.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They traded a 6th rounder for Cooper. So they'd restructure or find a cheaper option in his case if need be.
They already restructured Cooper. Converted salary into bonus money and tacked on two fake years at the end.