• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could've just said you lied and saved us time.
If you think I lied, feel free to find where what I said is not true....you know, like I do with you when you've been caught lying. FYI, here is proof of what I've been telling you.

From the article....."The Texans are screening all interested teams, requiring them to propose acceptable trade terms before they are authorized to meet with Watson. If another team meets Houston’s specifications, and if Watson is willing to do it, a sit-down could occur."

Now you are lying about me lying. If SNL wants to reprise the Lovitz/Tommy Flanagan role they need to contact you.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't look good when compared to Carr. However, it looks okay when compared to other Browns players.

As you mentioned, Garrett's salary is the same as Watson's this year - next year it's $17 million.

Looks like this may be how the Browns are willing to do things for their star players. (Even Brissett is $1.5 million salary and $3 million signing bonus, and it's a one-year contract.)
Seems pretty obvious this is the case (and other teams do this, too).

When I first heard about his 2022 base I thought the same as most...had to be because of a looming suspension to help Watson. Then I learned the facts and realized I was incorrect. Not sure why so many here are not able to do the same (seems you were able to, as well).

Now, if someone wants to say they may have helped him out by guaranteeing his signing bonus if suspended? That's another story. Not sure if that's standard but does seem the Browns did that.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disagreement there, either....but has nothing to do with the notion low base in year one is solely to help him if suspended.
One more time. Teams normally low pay year one due to no current cap space and rely on (Role the Dice) on the cap raising. Brown could scratch that SHOULD have paid more to Watson year one to help build the roster in the future. They chose to help Watson more than for the betterment of the team.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more time. Teams normally low pay year one due to no current cap space and rely on (Role the Dice) on the cap raising. Brown could scratch that SHOULD have paid more to Watson year one to help build the roster in the future. They chose to help Watson more than for the betterment of the team.
But it does look like the Browns do that with their other star players - low base salary and a big signing bonus in the first year.

This would be the difference for Watson:

All teams use language voiding guarantees if a player is suspended. Also, all teams include standard signing-bonus default language in the event the player misses games for which he has received advance compensation in the form of a signing bonus.
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Watson deal carves out the current situation, insulating Watson from having the remaining guarantees void or from owing any bonus money back to the Browns.

Because the Browns do big signing bonuses and small first-year salaries for other big players, it's the carve-out that especially helps Watson (if true, which it probably is).

I'm sure the big money and the carve-out are what got the Browns back to the table after being ruled out.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it does look like the Browns do that with their other star players - low base salary and a big signing bonus in the first year.

All teams use language voiding guarantees if a player is suspended. Also, all teams include standard signing-bonus default language in the event the player misses games for which he has received advance compensation in the form of a signing bonus.
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Watson deal carves out the current situation, insulating Watson from having the remaining guarantees void or from owing any bonus money back to the Browns.

Because the Browns do big signing bonuses and small first-year salaries for other big players, it's the carve-out that especially helps Watson (if true, which it probably is).

I'm sure the big money and the carve-out are what got the Browns back to the table after being ruled out.
The bonus is ALWAYS spread out over 5 years. Yes he got that money up front but only 8.993M counts in 2022.

And ALL teams, not just the Browns use the low 1st year $$$ idea because they usually don't have the cap space to pay more in year one.

The Browns has gobs of space and easily could have paid him more now than later.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also one more time.....yet with all that cap space they still paid Ward, Garrett and Njoku minimum level base salaries in 2022.

Dance, deflect, distort, move the goal posts, etc that is the one little factoid you cannot get around.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No disagreement with any of that. Not sure why so many choose to die on the hill of his first year base having something to do with helping him as opposed to just business as usual for the Browns.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bonus is ALWAYS spread out over 5 years. Yes he got that money up front but only 8.993M counts in 2022.

And ALL teams, not just the Browns use the low 1st year $$$ idea because they usually don't have the cap space to pay more in year one.

The Browns has gobs of space and easily could have paid him more now than later.
Yes, and "easily could have paid" Ward, Garrett and/or Njoku with all that cap space.....but they didn't.

If you simply said your "logic" is way off base what would happen to you (or the others dying on the same hill)? Must be so severe to ignore what are factually correct statements for your own baseless opinions.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also one more time.....yet with all that cap space they still paid Ward, Garrett and Njoku minimum level base salaries in 2022.

Dance, deflect, distort, move the goal posts, etc that is the one little factoid you cannot get around.
None of them are making 46M in years 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Garrett and Njoku have team escapes built into them.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also restructured Amari Cooper, also converting most of this year's salary into a signing bonus spread out over time. (Garrett and Njoku's contracts don't have outs until after they've had a season or two at crazy salaries.)

So the Browns made cap room in 2022 well beyond what they did for Watson.

But they won't have any in 2023. Just 2022. So what are they up to?

This is the first time I've thought about this kind of thing... but what do you do with $40M in cap space for one year when you have a team that's probably only a QB away from being a contender, and the guy you signed will probably miss the season?

Brees to the Browns.

There. That's my conspiracy theory for the year. Enjoy it while you can.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think I lied, feel free to find where what I said is not true....you know, like I do with you when you've been caught lying. FYI, here is proof of what I've been telling you.

From the article....."The Texans are screening all interested teams, requiring them to propose acceptable trade terms before they are authorized to meet with Watson. If another team meets Houston’s specifications, and if Watson is willing to do it, a sit-down could occur."

Now you are lying about me lying. If SNL wants to reprise the Lovitz/Tommy Flanagan role they need to contact you.
To bad that's not only what you said. But keep cherry picking and moving the goal posts.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also restructured Amari Cooper, also converting most of this year's salary into a signing bonus spread out over time. (Garrett and Njoku's contracts don't have outs until after they've had a season or two at crazy salaries.)

This is the first time I've thought about this kind of thing... but what do you do with $40M in cap space for one year when you have a team that's probably only a QB away from being a contender, and the guy you signed will probably miss the season?

Brees to the Browns.

That would be awesome.

Like a daytime soap.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool, but they do make quite a bit more and per your many comments you seem to think that would be better spent in a year with so much cap space.

Yes, Watson has a different deal and more guaranteed money but there is nothing that can tell is the small base year 1 is not a business as usual deal for the browns

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brees to the Browns.

Interesting....but I'd prefer Rivers.

also pretty sure the Browns like most think there will be major cap spikes most years for a while going forward.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To bad that's not only what you said. But keep cherry picking and moving the goal posts.
It's what I said. That said, it's not like I thought you'd own your lie.

1035-1 against.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's what I said. That said, it's not like I thought you'd own your lie.

1035-1 against.
Words have meanings. Read them all before you start your cherry picking and spinning.

Do you enjoy kicking your own ass here on the Hoop?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Words have meanings. Read them all before you start your cherry picking and spinning.

Do you enjoy kicking your own ass here on the Hoop?
you mean like you saying a comment I made was a lie, then me proving I was spot on....and you not owning your lie, Tommy?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you mean like you saying a comment I made was a lie, then me proving I was spot on....and you not owning your lie, Tommy?
No more like you cherry picking, taking things out of context and just being a hoop punching bag. Thanks for providing us that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more like you cherry picking, taking things out of context and just being a hoop punching bag. Thanks for providing us that.
cool. Feel free to show me examples as I do your lies and proof you lied, Tommy.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool. Feel free to show me examples as I do your lies and proof you lied, Tommy.
Press # 6 for English.

You're on full blown tilt, Skippy.

Take a standing 8 count. It's authorized for the Hoop punching bag.