• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No criminal charges for Deshaun Watson

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How don't know how you consider it a "fuck up". Every single team should have expected a suspension. He is 27 years old, not in his mid 30's. Unless he is banned from the league this is TBD.
I think the fuckup comes from thinking that it was "only" 22, and that it likely was going to be a rather easy-peasy minor suspension...and the longer this goes, and the more slow news continues to trickle out, the more unlikely it is that it's going to be a small slap on the write suspension - at least, IMO. If the Browns knew of this information and simply banked on it not coming out, or banked on a small suspension - and it doesn't work that way...I'd say that's a fuckup. How big will remain to be seen.

Maybe I'm wrong - we'll see, but I'm going to go on a limb and say that it's going to be at least a year. The numbers are too great for the NFL to give him something that is too similar to what other players got for having issues with 1/2 women. Again - could be wrong.

If he's lost for any amount of a year+, They've now traded a for a guy who won't have played in 2 years - and takes up an enormous amount of guaranteed cap. Can he come back after 2 years off, and facing intense scrutiny and perform at the level that the Browns expect? Because if he's not going to put up those kinds of numbers, that ends up being a fuckup.

It's fair if you don't want to say it's a fuckup yet, but I think it's fair to point out that it's not trending in a positive direction, either.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Njoku deal came AFTER the Watson deal (think Ward did, too) and yet with all this cap room they still gave them the $1.035 mil base. Hell, at time he got his deal it seemed like it may have been just as likely this dragged on and he could be suspended in 2023.

sorry, but try as you might they have their reasons for minimum deals in year 1 of large extensions. It's not because Watson might be suspended. Not taking back any of his signing bonus if suspended (assuming that's not the norm)? Seems that is true.
Again. Try and focus on one thing that makes Watson's case different and stop talking about how they did it with other guys as no one is questioning that. We all agree that every team does it wit ha lot of the big contracts and not just the Browns. Bringing it up is just trying to guide the discussion away from the point you don't want to address.

Watson is about to get suspended. That is the reason why it is different. Again...Watson is about to get suspended. That is the reason why it is different.

They have the cap space to have not done it so you can't use that either. In his case and his case only there was a financial incentive for the Browns to not have a base salary of only $1M but they did it any way. In the other cases (Njoku, Ward, etc) there was a benefit to the Browns of keeping their year one cap low and at worst they roll the savings into future years. In Watsons case there may also be that benefit, but in the big picture of what is going on there actually is not a benefit of having a low year one cap hit because the Browns would benefit more financially when he gets suspended by having a high year one base salary. I just don't get how you don't see that obvious point. Actually I'm pretty sure you see it and know it, but you just can't get yourself out of the argument you have dug yourself into without admitting you are wrong

Again assume he is suspended for half the year:
Current salary of $1M: Browns save $500K
With a base salary of $30M: Browns save $15M

Those last 3 lines are all that matters in the discussion. It's not a 100% guarantee he will be suspended this year but at the time of signing it was probably thought to be around 99%

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again. Try and focus on one thing that makes Watson's case different and stop talking about how they did it with other guys as no one is questioning that. We all agree that every team does it wit ha lot of the big contracts and not just the Browns. Bringing it up is just trying to guide the discussion away from the point you don't want to address.
Nailed it!

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the fuckup comes from thinking that it was "only" 22, and that it likely was going to be a rather easy-peasy minor suspension...and the longer this goes, and the more slow news continues to trickle out, the more unlikely it is that it's going to be a small slap on the write suspension - at least, IMO. If the Browns knew of this information and simply banked on it not coming out, or banked on a small suspension - and it doesn't work that way...I'd say that's a fuckup. How big will remain to be seen.

Maybe I'm wrong - we'll see, but I'm going to go on a limb and say that it's going to be at least a year. The numbers are too great for the NFL to give him something that is too similar to what other players got for having issues with 1/2 women. Again - could be wrong.

If he's lost for any amount of a year+, They've now traded a for a guy who won't have played in 2 years - and takes up an enormous amount of guaranteed cap. Can he come back after 2 years off, and facing intense scrutiny and perform at the level that the Browns expect? Because if he's not going to put up those kinds of numbers, that ends up being a fuckup.

It's fair if you don't want to say it's a fuckup yet, but I think it's fair to point out that it's not trending in a positive direction, either.
I mean, that last part could be true but you are only guessing (hoping?) he cannot come back and play well again IF he even gets a full year suspension.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Watson is about to get suspended. That is the reason why it is different. Again...Watson is about to get suspended. That is the reason why it is different.

They have the cap space to have not done it so you can't use that either. In his case and his case only there was a financial incentive for the Browns to not have a base salary of only $1M but they did it any way. In the other cases (Njoku, Ward, etc) there was a benefit to the Browns of keeping their year one cap low and at worst they roll the savings into future years. In Watsons case there may also be that benefit, but in the big picture of what is going on there actually is not a benefit of having a low year one cap hit because the Browns would benefit more financially when he gets suspended by having a high year one base salary. I just don't get how you don't see that obvious point. Actually I'm pretty sure you see it and know it, but you just can't get yourself out of the argument you have dug yourself into without admitting you are wrong

Again assume he is suspended for half the year:

Those last 3 lines are all that matters in the discussion. It's not a 100% guarantee he will be suspended this year but at the time of signing it was probably thought to be around 99%

The Browns (and other teams) appear to sign all their big deals with a minimum base in year one and your conclusion is, "has to be to help him out with his suspension" and not just business as usual.

all that matters in the discussion is you want to ignore what the Browns typically do to suit your agenda.....which is cool, BTW. That's your right.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fact...NO, Atlanta and Carolina made offers (might be missing one) for sure. 3 is multiple.
No it isn't. If you want to take it out of context, spin it, move the goal posts have at it. But stop claiming things as fact that aren't.

But you have no idea what may have been offered and certainly not what could've been accepted.

The Browns in typical Brownie fashion Brownied this one by blowing their entire load all over Watson. Guess one good ejaculation deserves 24 or 66 or whatever the final total will be.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because teams were not allowed to meet with Watson unless they presented an offer that was acceptable to Houston.

you are trying way too hard here. And failing.
Keep spinning.

Do you know anything about negotiations?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the idea so many say the Browns Fd this up is a little off base as no matter which team got him the mess is likely the same.
Could you possibly be any more of a Karen?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all that matters in the discussion is you want to ignore what the Browns typically do to suit your agenda.
No he did not ignore that, he's addressed it at great length, YOUR THE ONE IGNORING THINGS. He told you exactly why this was a different situation. You accuse others of what you do over and over.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns (and other teams) appear to sign all their big deals with a minimum base in year one and your conclusion is, "has to be to help him out with his suspension" and not just business as usual.

all that matters in the discussion is you want to ignore what the Browns typically do to suit your agenda.....which is cool, BTW. That's your right.
Again. Ignore the part we all agree to. Why do you keep saying that as if it proves anything? You are so obstinate. We aren't talking about other cases we are talking about Watson and Watson only. His is a very different case and unlike other cases not only is there not a year one benefit to a low cap hit, there is in fact a penalty to the Browns for it and they did it any way. The follow is undisputable...well, except to you

Year 1

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, that last part could be true but you are only guessing (hoping?) he cannot come back and play well again IF he even gets a full year suspension.
From a football standpoint - I don't care. If he comes back, and does well, just makes the division that much better, and winning inside the division carries more weight and better prepares the teams for the playoffs. If he misses a year, or two, maybe it makes the division a little easier - but these things always work themselves out on the field one way or another - so, he plays, he sits - eh. Whatever.

From a personal standpoint - I hope he gets kicked out of the league. I'm tired of athletes getting away with things that a normal person, like you or I, would end up in jail, jobless, etc... because they happen to be able to throw a ball or hit a ball. That attribute should not make them above the law - and frankly the lawyers and judges who defend them to allow such heinous outcomes should go with them.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it isn't. If you want to take it out of context, spin it, move the goal posts have at it. But stop claiming things as fact that aren't.

But you have no idea what may have been offered and certainly not what could've been accepted.

The Browns in typical Brownie fashion Brownied this one by blowing their entire load all over Watson. Guess one good ejaculation deserves 24 or 66 or whatever the final total will be.
It is a fact all the teams who visited with Watson made offers as that was required to meet with him. No spin, not out of context but fact. To say otherwise just adds another lie to your total. Lovitz has nothing on you.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep spinning.

Do you know anything about negotiations?
I do...but Houston required an offer they'd have been willing to accept for a team to meet with watson.

accusing someone else of spinning wont make your answers make people less dizzy who read it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he did not ignore that, he's addressed it at great length, YOUR THE ONE IGNORING THINGS. He told you exactly why this was a different situation. You accuse others of what you do over and over.
he told me why he thought this was different....but he failed as all he has is his baseless opinion clouded by an agenda. He cannot refute my comment that the Browns would have signed Watson to the same deal whether he had a suspension looming or not since, you know, it's what they offer most with large extensions.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a football standpoint - I don't care. If he comes back, and does well, just makes the division that much better, and winning inside the division carries more weight and better prepares the teams for the playoffs. If he misses a year, or two, maybe it makes the division a little easier - but these things always work themselves out on the field one way or another - so, he plays, he sits - eh. Whatever.

From a personal standpoint - I hope he gets kicked out of the league. I'm tired of athletes getting away with things that a normal person, like you or I, would end up in jail, jobless, etc... because they happen to be able to throw a ball or hit a ball. That attribute should not make them above the law - and frankly the lawyers and judges who defend them to allow such heinous outcomes should go with them.
the count of women coming forward has now increased to 24 and apparently some of claims are for after the time it went public about his problem. it shows he has a problem that he isn't going to stop, and he needs to be suspended and fined for. i would say 2 seasons and his annual salary for those 2 years

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you possibly be any more of a Karen?
A "Karen" is a woman who acts entitled, expects certain privileges or special treatment, and gets angered easily.

act entitled - negative
expects special privelages/treatment - negative
angered easily - far from it....you are free comic relief and I appreciate it

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he told me why he thought this was different....but he failed as all he has is his baseless opinion clouded by an agenda. He cannot refute my comment that the Browns would have signed Watson to the same deal whether he had a suspension looming or not since, you know, it's what they offer most with large extensions.
That's really rich coming from you.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again. Ignore the part we all agree to. Why do you keep saying that as if it proves anything? You are so obstinate. We aren't talking about other cases we are talking about Watson and Watson only. His is a very different case and unlike other cases not only is there not a year one benefit to a low cap hit, there is in fact a penalty to the Browns for it and they did it any way. The follow is undisputable...well, except to you

Year 1
I am offering my opinion which is based in fact as to how the Browns have handled their business in the past. Here's a question for ya - If Watson was not facing suspension what do you think his base would be in year 1 (you know....like Garrett and ward who are not facing suspension)? Please try to offer an answer without added spin....
A) same as it is...$1.035 mil
B) a much higher amount

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean, no matter who it is would be nice if there were at least some evidence to indict before deciding they should go to prison.

FYI, ya didn't fool me. Because of your personal standpoint you do, in fact, hope watson misses a season or longer as I said. Not even saying it's wrong to have that opinion. at best it seems the guy is a pervert with some issues he needs help with.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the count of women coming forward has now increased to 24 and apparently some of claims are for after the time it went public about his problem. it shows he has a problem that he isn't going to stop, and he needs to be suspended and fined for. i would say 2 seasons and his annual salary for those 2 years
Didn't Elliot get 6 games for his domestic issue a few years ago? Let's use that as a baseline - if the NFL thinks what Elliot was accused of was worth 6 games, let's use that as a baseline. Let's go with 4 games for each woman in the suit. That's 96 games, or basically 5 1/2 years. Seems fair. If you wanted to cut it down to 2 games a charge - then that's 48 games, or 2.8 years. At a game suspension per charge - that's 2 years. That to me would be the very bottom of the barrel at this point - I think 2 games per is more than reasonable considering the pattern and everything else that has been involved.

As an aside - I think the Texans should be held accountable for enabling this issue - there was a clear pattern that instead of trying to get him help, they fostered his instability by providing a hotel room and NDA's - ignoring all kinds of potential red flags. What that should be - not sure - maybe a loss of the picks acquired in the trade and a fine? Again - not sure.