• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nnamdi a Niner

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And incidentally, I see you are once again reading selectively. The very article you quote states that he put up better metrics during the season than our starters. Everyone agrees he struggled in the super bowl Again, that doesn't mean we should give up on him at CB.

It's not being selective, I've already addressed that issue explaining that his numbers are very misleading. When he is on the field he is in in mostly during passing situations, as a corner that alone should give you a heads up not to play the run, you are in for a passing play. Unlike the other starters, passes come at them from 1st downs through 3rd downs. In essence, they are unaware whether to play the run or the pass. Not knowing whether they are going to pass or run, puts them at a lesser advantage. Now for Cully, knowing that you're in there in a passing situation, in addition to that...the situation / passing down is in a 3rd and long situation, you don't have to worry about giving up the short screens/underneath stuff. If your sole job (at least the majority of the time) is to cover the deep thirds, than essentially your numbers should look impressive. Because you are put in a situation to defend 2-3 possibilities only (unlike the starters who have to contend for 8-12 possibilies on any given downs based on the type of routes). Coaches are not putting him in position to have to play all sorts of downs. He's hardly ever in the slot, and he's hardly ever in during 1st down situations. More targets against the starters should refelect a better percentage for Cully. It's not rocket science. Again, the camera in the sky does not lie. I can show you many more footage of him getting roasted but then again, rely on your numbers that says he's better than Rogers and Brown.

PS - not only did he struggled, he was the main reason why we lost the freaking game! Spin it however you want to spin it, but he caused us to lose our biggest game of the last 15 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's not being selective, I've already addressed that issue explaining that his numbers are very misleading. When he is on the field he is in in mostly during passing situations, as a corner that alone should give you a heads up not to play the run, you are in for a passing play. Unlike the other starters, passes come at them from 1st downs through 3rd downs. In essence, they are unaware whether to play the run or the pass. Not knowing whether they are going to pass or run, puts them at a lesser advantage. Now for Cully, knowing that you're in there in a passing situation, in addition to that...the situation / passing down is in a 3rd and long situation, you don't have to worry about giving up the short screens/underneath stuff. If your sole job (at least the majority of the time) is to cover the deep thirds, than essentially your numbers should look impressive. Because you are put in a situation to defend 2-3 possibilities only (unlike the starters who have to contend for 8-12 possibilies on any given downs based on the type of routes). Coaches are not putting him in position to have to play all sorts of downs. He's hardly ever in the slot, and he's hardly ever in during 1st down situations. More targets against the starters should refelect a better percentage for Cully. It's not rocket science. Again, the camera in the sky does not lie. I can show you many more footage of him getting roasted but then again, rely on your numbers that says he's better than Rogers and Brown.

PS - not only did he struggled, he was the main reason why we lost the freaking game! Spin it however you want to spin it, but he caused us to lose our biggest game of the last 15 years.

I don't disagree with any of that. I disagree with the notion that he's entirely awful and has no business playing CB. It's not your position, it's the way you are overstating it that I object to.

As for the super bowl, he was far from the main reason we lost the game. He was as responsible as any one player, but we lost that game for a NUMBER of reasons. Regardless, much like Kyle Williams last year, it would be silly and reactive to get rid of him for that reason.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't disagree with any of that. I disagree with the notion that he's entirely awful and has no business playing CB. It's not your position, it's the way you are overstating it that I object to.

As for the super bowl, he was far from the main reason we lost the game. He was as responsible as any one player, but we lost that game for a NUMBER of reasons. Regardless, much like Kyle Williams last year, it would be silly and reactive to get rid of him for that reason.

The funny thing is is that everyone that defends Culliver uses PFF's numbers and everyone who's against him has actually focused their eyes on him throughout the course of a game.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I've got to say, Chris Culliver has turned into the new Alex Smith. How many threads / debates are we gonna have about the guy?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The funny thing is is that everyone that defends Culliver uses PFF's numbers and everyone who's against him has actually focused their eyes on him throughout the course of a game.

First, I would barely consider what I'm doing to be "defending" Culliver. I'm simply trying to inject a tiny bit of reason into the conversation, which seems beyond Bingo in this area.

Second, I haven't mentioned those numbers once. The closest I came was highlighting a note in an article that Bingo pasted into his own post that a guy from Football Outsiders found that Culliver had better numbers for the season than Brown/Rogers.

Based on my observations of Culliver, I find that he is often in pretty good position against some darn good receivers, but struggles to locate when the ball is in the air. He has blown a few plays entirely. Most CBs have. Hell, if Harry Douglas didn't slip in the Atlanta game, we might not be having this conversation at all because we'd be blaming Rogers for costing us the NFC Championship game. Based on what I have seen, I think Culliver still deserves a chance at CB.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bold is a weak argument at best. Not having to play the run is more the nature of the position than situational. Playing the run for ANY corner is an afterthought--especially in man to man, it's not their job.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Regarding Nnamdi it's Julio Jones that's the main motivation behind this signing.

Brown had actually good coverage on Jones in that Atlanta game but he was just overmatched physically (some debatable pushing off didn't help) which is why Nnamdi is on the roster to match up with the big guys.

So I would say that it's likely that we won't have a #1 corner per se but we'll match up our CB guys that they defend best against.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Does it not seem like any mention of the pass defense results in Bingo hijacking the thread with his anti-Culliver bit? Everyone knows, man. You've said it countless times. You think he sucks. Give it a rest.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The 49ers are not expected to make any corresponding roster move after Asomugha's signing because the club is still expected to have around $2 million in cap space."

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we should judge Culliver by his overall body of work, not just the SB?

yeah, no question he had a bad superbowl, but even the best players in the NFL have 'off' games. if you continually hang your hat on one game, while he's been playing two SEASONS, what does that say about your evaluation?

next, you then project what he'll do from here on, if he's on the upside or already max'ed out? don't think he has a BIG upside anymore, but IMO still up. even if he's max'ed out, i'd still keep him this season. he has more good plays than bad plays.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should judge Culliver by his overall body of work, not just the SB?

yeah, no question he had a bad superbowl, but even the best players in the NFL have 'off' games. if you continually hang your hat on one game, while he's been playing two SEASONS, what does that say about your evaluation?

next, you then project what he'll do from here on, if he's on the upside or already max'ed out? don't think he has a BIG upside anymore, but IMO still up. even if he's max'ed out, i'd still keep him this season. he has more good plays than bad plays.

i'd be happy with him being 4th on the depth charts next season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'd be happy with him being 4th on the depth charts next season.

and if thats the way it pans out, fine with me. this doesn't mean the 4th guy won't play at all?

they'll start to utilize the strengths of the 3rd and 4th guys "situationally", so doubt the 4th guys sits on the bench all season? it'll be similar to Rogers moving to the slot 'situationally'. they'll use Asomugha and Culliver depending of the play situation, game situation.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got to say, Chris Culliver has turned into the new Alex Smith. How many threads / debates are we gonna have about the guy?

I was going to say this again, but I thought someone would just tell me that I see all threads as Alex Smith threads... Alternatively, I thought there was a chance that Culliver was going to turn into the Kyle Williams of the team - get blamed and then slowly get support as the loss got further away.

It was predictable and already underway, I suppose, but I did predict this going this long and far into the off-season and beyond... to this extent. Or rather I assumed it, if not actually making a prediction.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/2802378-post23.html

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I hope Culliver doesn't have to wear the goat designation. That would be dumb IMO. It's not like he did something incredibly stupid; he just had a bad game. If the Niners lost to the Falcons, as they almost did, Tarrell Brown should have been the goat in that case. He made some inexcuseable plays (like breaking off coverage on Julio on the TD pass and playing like 14 yards off of Tony Gonzales on 3rd down).

I'm far more pissed at the ref's than Chris Culiver. In fact, I'm more pissed off at Michael friggn' Crabtree. Why? AN ILLEGAL PROCEDURE PENALTY ON THE FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME???!!! That erased a 20 yard gain & gave Baltimore all the momentum they needed to start the game off.

And Kaep not throwing the ball away (burning a timeout) was inexcuseable as well.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
. In fact, I'm more pissed off at Michael friggn' Crabtree. Why? AN ILLEGAL PROCEDURE PENALTY ON THE FIRST PLAY OF THE GAME???!!! That erased a 20 yard gain & gave Baltimore all the momentum they needed to start the game off.

I thought that penalty was on Vernon Davis??

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Exactly, they are easily persuaded by ridiculous/baseless/subjective stats that it clouds everything they see from the actual game. These types of fans are the worse, it drives me nuts how much emphasis they put on some unkown person's numbers on a player.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Yes he was the main reason why we lost the game.:omg: Just stop with the excuses already.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The bold is a weak argument at best. Not having to play the run is more the nature of the position than situational. Playing the run for ANY corner is an afterthought--especially in man to man, it's not their job.

Apparently someone has never had the experience of playing organize football at any point of their life.

How hilarious would it have been if during a high school football game per se, the offense calls an "I right 28 sweep" on a 3 and long situation...and the tailback breaks it for a long fifty yard TD untouched; and the corner goes back to the sideline and tries to justify to his head coach that the running breaking it to the outside (the eight hole) was not his responsibility because the receiver ran him off all the way to the endzone. Hence, it was a man-to-man coverage.

My friend, I don't know where you got that information from but that is the furthest from the truth. It's a myth that DBs are not responsible for the run at any point of any game at any level.