• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nnamdi a Niner

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fi Fi fi fi finnnnnnnnalllly!!!!!

THIS is the signing that I wanted the most and happiest with....

I expect good things from Aso, Aso you playing for the gold and for a ring here... good fucking sh*t!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He was getting abused before the SB. There were reports of him prior to the game having the tendency to give up the big plays on a consistent basis. He is a #3 cornerback on our roster for a very good reason. Coaches rather target Revis, Sean Smith, now Nnamdi instead of putting trust in Culliver to take on a starting role. He is what he is, the coaches are telling us something about him and fans are still in denial. This is mind boggling that no one seems to realize about our conerback position.

I don't necessarily agree with that sentiment. Culliver was a FS until, what, his last year of college? He's still learning the nuances of the CB position. He's got the physical talent, he just needs to improve his instincts and ability to play the ball in the air. Now, those are two extremely important aspects of the game, and arguably the two that are most "innate." But I don't think it's fair to simply say he is what he is. He's a young player who is still developing.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great signing especially no guaranteed money. I think he will have a big year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Was this during the super bowl? I'm sick of tired of hearing this baseless excuses about this clown...yeah it was "only one game throughout the entire season":

New England Patriots WR Brandon Lloyd 53-yard catch - NFL Videos

It's not too tough to find clips of any CB giving up plays. It's the nature of the position. Not to mention that Culliver fell down in the first one - started to fall before Quick even made contact. That happens sometimes over the course of the season.

Is Culliver still a liability in coverage at times? Yes. Do these videos prove much of anything in and of themselves? No.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not too tough to find clips of any CB giving up plays. It's the nature of the position. Not to mention that Culliver fell down in the first one - started to fall before Quick even made contact. That happens sometimes over the course of the season.

Is Culliver still a liability in coverage at times? Yes. Do these videos prove much of anything in and of themselves? No.

Exactly. There isn't a perfect CB out there. Even Revis got burned for TDs.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

imo the last great shutdown corner was champ. revis had like what a good couple years but injuries might have limited him.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
shut down corners are a thing of the past...they call the contact too tight these days. Deion wouldn't get away with most of his tactics these days

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/potential-competition-cornerback

Chris Culliver (6-0, 200): He turns 25 in August, so he figures to be around for a while. Culliver came in when the 49ers went with extra defensive backs. He played 63.2 percent of the time, mostly at left cornerback. The opposition completed just 49.3 percent of the passes thrown his way for a passer rating of just 76.9. He surrendered four touchdowns and had two interceptions. Of course, he struggled in the 49ers' 34-31 loss to the Baltimore Ravens in the Super Bowl.

The interesting thing about Cully is that when he comes in as the nickel CB he doesn't play the slot, but instead usually lines up on the left against the opposing team's flanker, which can more often than not be their best receiver. Pretty impressive stats if you ask me... 1 game in the super bowl, in only his 2nd year playing CB, isn't going to cause me to totally lose faith in the guy and ignore his past success

The guy who should be worried is Rogers who had a 92.9 QB rating against him

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't necessarily agree with that sentiment. Culliver was a FS until, what, his last year of college? He's still learning the nuances of the CB position. He's got the physical talent, he just needs to improve his instincts and ability to play the ball in the air. Now, those are two extremely important aspects of the game, and arguably the two that are most "innate." But I don't think it's fair to simply say he is what he is. He's a young player who is still developing.

Yup, you cannot teach instincts. Again, if coaches had faith in him they wouldn't be going through an intensive scavenger hunt to find a quality "cornerback". Not an athlete trying to play cornerback. You need to have the "innate" skill to play the position, and he lacks that tremendously.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

You can remain in denial all you want. Justifying why/how you get beat. He tried to jam Quick but got bitch slapped (palm to the chest) and fell down. His instincts/technique is horrid.

Him slipping again:
Chris Culliver.jpg

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Every other game though. Playing less snaps then your typical starters. Opposing teams target him for a reason. He's a bum who cost us a SB and people are still creating excuses...:L

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
shut down corners are a thing of the past...they call the contact too tight these days. Deion wouldn't get away with most of his tactics these days

Yes he would have. He wasn't just physical with the hands, he would most of the times not even touch the receiver, he would simply run with them at their speed, then when the ball is in mid air he shifts to another gear (his speed) to make a play on the ball. He didn't rely only on using "one tactic".

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/potential-competition-cornerback

Chris Culliver (6-0, 200): He turns 25 in August, so he figures to be around for a while. Culliver came in when the 49ers went with extra defensive backs. He played 63.2 percent of the time, mostly at left cornerback. The opposition completed just 49.3 percent of the passes thrown his way for a passer rating of just 76.9. He surrendered four touchdowns and had two interceptions. Of course, he struggled in the 49ers' 34-31 loss to the Baltimore Ravens in the Super Bowl.

The interesting thing about Cully is that when he comes in as the nickel CB he doesn't play the slot, but instead usually lines up on the left against the opposing team's flanker, which can more often than not be their best receiver. Pretty impressive stats if you ask me... 1 game in the super bowl, in only his 2nd year playing CB, isn't going to cause me to totally lose faith in the guy and ignore his past success

The guy who should be worried is Rogers who had a 92.9 QB rating against him

This is the most overhyped/overrated backup in the history of the NFL. I'm ecstatic that most of you are fans and not coaches. Our coaches aren't that dumb to rely on him, which is why they are bringing Nnamdi on board. Thank you coaches for seeing the light!!

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yup, you cannot teach instincts. Again, if coaches had faith in him they wouldn't be going through an intensive scavenger hunt to find a quality "cornerback". Not an athlete trying to play cornerback. You need to have the "innate" skill to play the position, and he lacks that tremendously.

what's this scavenger hunt that you speak of? Aso is the only CB that we've shown any real interest in. Woodson was being looked at as a safety.

Numbers don't lie:
The opposition completed just 49.3 percent of the passes thrown his way for a passer rating of just 76.9.

At some point, you've got to admit that he's a promising young CB who is still learning the position. Is he Deion? No, but that's not what we're expecting of him. Does he have the potential to develop into a probowl caliber CB...yes. The talent is there and we just have to be patient. Every other team in the league would love to have him on their roster, believe me.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is the most overhyped/overrated backup in the history of the NFL. I'm ecstatic that most of you are fans and not coaches. Our coaches aren't that dumb to rely on him, which is why they are bringing Nnamdi on board. Thank you coaches for seeing the light!!

you're losing it man. If they were that desperate to bring in Nnamdi they wouldn't have risked it by offering him such a crap contract. They also would have brought in a ton of the other solid FA CBs on the market. You can't just ignore facts in order to make your argument work.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what's this scavenger hunt that you speak of? Aso is the only CB that we've shown any real interest in. Woodson was being looked at as a safety.

Numbers don't lie:
The opposition completed just 49.3 percent of the passes thrown his way for a passer rating of just 76.9.

At some point, you've got to admit that he's a promising young CB who is still learning the position. Is he Deion? No, but that's not what we're expecting of him. Does he have the potential to develop into a probowl caliber CB...yes. The talent is there and we just have to be patient. Every other team in the league would love to have him on their roster, believe me.

Revis, Sean Smith??

Yeah, numbers don't lie but the video footage are bunch of lies. :doh:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You can develop instincts, though. He hasn't had much experience running down the field with a receiver and then turning to play the ball. He can improve upon that.

Re: the post below the one I've quoted, the biggest problem with Culliver by far, IMO, is his ability to play the ball in the air. He frequently has pretty good coverage, but fails to make a play on the ball. If he can't improve on that, then he may never be more than a third or fourth guy. As for our search for CBs, though, that could also have something to do with Brown under contract for just one more season, Rogers slipping and probably not worth the contract after next year, and the general need for quality CBs in the league.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
you're losing it man. If they were that desperate to bring in Nnamdi they wouldn't have risked it by offering him such a crap contract. They also would have brought in a ton of the other solid FA CBs on the market. You can't just ignore facts in order to make your argument work.

It seems like you're the one ignoring the facts. Let's just pretend that the front office was not seriously looking to improve the position dramatically this offseason. But you're right, Rogers and Nnamdi will be backups while Brown and Culliver will be our probowl corners in 2013.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Every other game though. Playing less snaps then your typical starters. Opposing teams target him for a reason. He's a bum who cost us a SB and people are still creating excuses...:L

Not every other game. You are overstating his flaws. He played a huge part in the super bowl loss, but he's far from the only culprit in that one. You're apparently ready to completely give up on him, at least at CB. That's fine. Most people are a bit more forgiving. The NFL isn't a forgiving environment, so maybe you're right. I think he's got a place in the league.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It seems like you're the one ignoring the facts. Let's just pretend that the front office was not seriously looking to improve the position dramatically this offseason. But you're right, Rogers and Nnamdi will be backups while Brown and Culliver will be our probowl corners in 2013.

Facts:
The opposition completed just 49.3 percent of the passes thrown Culliver's way for a passer rating of just 76.9.
We only brought 1 CB, Nnamdi, in for a visit and he was offered a very inexpensive, non-guarenteed contract, thus proving we were not desperate for FA cornerbacks.
The Sean Smith and Revis interest were all rumors, not facts. No offer was ever made for either player.
Culliver has only played CB for 2 years, after playing Safety in college.

Until you can rationally address each of these issues, there is no point in continuing a conversation with you