• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners vs Texans

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the secondary will be another are of concern hand in hand with the lack of a pass rush. I doubt we will see much, if any, of Sherman this year and the rest of the DBs are mediocre at best.
Witherspoon is a decent CB and has shown growth this year. He's a promising player. However, betting on Dick to be a solid consistent contributor is a crazy gamble. We needed help at Cb in the worst way. The offseason fell in our favor for once! Marcus Peters was available in trade, but we don’t do it. Malcolm Butler and Trumain Johnson were both available. We didn’t go after either one. Then the draft rolls around we have 2 chances to draft 2 of the best 3 CBs in the draft in Jackson and Oliver, but we pass.

I kind of understand waiting on the pass rusher since next offseason will have loads of pass rushers both in FA and the draft.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Witherspoon is a decent CB and has shown growth this year. He's a promising player. However, betting on Dick to be a solid consistent contributor is a crazy gamble. We needed help at Cb in the worst way. The offseason fell in our favor for once! Marcus Peters was available in trade, but we don’t do it. Malcolm Butler and Trumain Johnson were both available. We didn’t go after either one. Then the draft rolls around we have 2 chances to draft 2 of the best 3 CBs in the draft in Jackson and Oliver, but we pass.

I kind of understand waiting on the pass rusher since next offseason will have loads of pass rushers both in FA and the draft.
Yeah, its a head scratcher. I guess the thinking with going after Richburg and drafting McGlinchey was that the primary goal is keeping Garopollo on the field. They absolutely cannot allow him to get hammered the way Beathard did last year.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm glad they didn't target Peters - an overrated, toxic turd that KC couldn't get rid of quicker. I question whether Butler would've fit the scheme and Johnson wasn't worth it. I was intrigued by both Jackson and Oliver in the draft, however. Sherman may be finished as a premiere player (we'll see) but he adds valued input from his position, plus they did pick up guys like Moore in the draft and McFadden? in FA.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad they didn't target Peters - an overrated, toxic turd that KC couldn't get rid of quicker. I question whether Butler would've fit the scheme and Johnson wasn't worth it. I was intrigued by both Jackson and Oliver in the draft, however. Sherman may be finished as a premiere player (we'll see) but he adds valued input from his position, plus they did pick up guys like Moore in the draft and McFadden? in FA.
We need CBs now and neither one of those guys is going to help. Moore is too raw for that, having played S in college. Not to mention his PS time and TC so far indicate he's a year or 2 away. McFadden? He's at the bottom of the CB depth charge and MIGHT make the team.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need CBs now and neither one of those guys is going to help. Moore is too raw for that, having played S in college. Not to mention his PS time and TC so far indicate he's a year or 2 away. McFadden? He's at the bottom of the CB depth charge and MIGHT make the team.

With the amount of holes on this team, they simply weren't gonna fill them all with 1 draft. Let's see what Sherman gives the team first.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep. A good pass rush will always make for "better" DBs.. Remember Bill Walsh's mantra that "A good pass rush in the 4th quarter is the key to winning in the NFL".

Yep, I'm more than old enough to recall that one. haaa

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, IF Sherman doesn't come back well, the CB's won't look good. But they'll look way worse without a pass rush, exponentially worse.

I get that it isn't easy to obtain a top pass rusher. You certainly can't get a FA since they don't hit free agency. You can't force one in the draft either, cause then you waste a pick. We'll just have to grin and bear it one more season, and HOPE they improve a little as a unit. A little blitzing is fine, but wouldn't want to call it consistently.

pass rushers should be plentiful in next years draft class.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the amount of holes on this team, they simply weren't gonna fill them all with 1 draft. Let's see what Sherman gives the team first.

no they couldn't fill them all but they probably could have added more depth at CB before the draft. This team is better than last year but they do still need help at CB, Leo, and at both Guard spots.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no they couldn't fill them all but they probably could have added more depth at CB before the draft. This team is better than last year but they do still need help at CB, Leo, and at both Guard spots.

As I stated, I can see why SF chose not to go that route (overpaying for bad character guys/poor scheme fit).

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I stated, I can see why SF chose not to go that route (overpaying for bad character guys/poor scheme fit).

Honestly I would have preferred another interior lineman, Richburg and Norwell would have been huge additions to the O-Line.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I would have preferred another interior lineman, Richburg and Norwell would have been huge additions to the O-Line.

? Richburg is the Niners Center.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
? Richburg is the Niners Center.

Yes he is but Norwell is not the Niners guard. I was saying adding both would have been huge or two really good interior players would have been huge additions instead of one.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he is but Norwell is not the Niners guard. I was saying adding both would have been huge or two really good interior players would have been huge additions instead of one.

Well the way you worded it clearly implies that you believed neither were signed by SF. Whatever.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the way you worded it clearly implies that you believed neither were signed by SF. Whatever.

No big deal adding an elite guard would have been huge and probably improved the running game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No big deal adding an elite guard would have been huge and probably improved the running game.

No doubt and is why they're always looking - examples are Tomlinson and Cooper. But not every big name FA is a scheme fit, so i tend to think Norwell wasn't one? If he was, our GM is aggressive in getting guys they want.

On the other hand, some really are good fits and the best example is McKinnon. Another example is Pettis, didn't like the trade up for Pettis but when you're convinced of a scheme fit, you have to be aggressive.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt and is why they're always looking - examples are Tomlinson and Cooper. But not every big name FA is a scheme fit, so i tend to think Norwell wasn't one? If he was, our GM is aggressive in getting guys they want.

On the other hand, some really are good fits and the best example is McKinnon. Another example is Pettis, didn't like the trade up for Pettis but when you're convinced of a scheme fit, you have to be aggressive.

I'm not big on Cooper or Tomlinson but hopefully I'm wrong.