• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners Trade for Stevie Johnson

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Kap only throws to Boldin or a Covered Crabtree....

Never had a 3rd option at WR. Also lets not act like he doesn't get the ball to VD.

He will now have 4 options to throw the ball to. Great news for the 49ers offense.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never had a 3rd option at WR. Also lets not act like he doesn't get the ball to VD.

He will now have 4 options to throw the ball to. Great news for the 49ers offense.

He never used a 3rd Option...

always Davis n Boldin... didn't matter if Baldwin or Patton got open... or were even targeted.

Before Crabtree, Bolding or Davis... MM fell out too.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never used a 3rd Option...

always Davis n Boldin... didn't matter if Baldwin or Patton got open... or were even targeted.

Before Crabtree, Bolding or Davis... MM fell out too.

The 3rd option never got open and he didn't trust those options. I bet you All 4 will have their catches.(unless injury).

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 3rd option never got open and he didn't trust those options. I bet you All 4 will have their catches.(unless injury).

The first comment is just plain wrong, there were several times that the third option was open and Kaepeenick just missed him, in fact on the final plays against Seattle the third option was open but missed.

The second part of that is pure opinion on your part as you have no idea how much trust Kaepernick had in those receivers.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No way... look at the games when defenses took Boldin out, Kap still tried hard to force feed instead of hitting the other open targets....

Kap was very one look prone last season which was contrary to his starts the season before(or something we didn't notice?)

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know you're a shutdown corner when they're talking about 84 yards as causing you a matchup problem.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That's demonstrably false.

All four will have their catches. The question is whether Kap can do a better job of getting the ball to the right guy. Not just the first read, but the guy who is in the best position to capitalize. All QBs miss open receivers, but Kap did it too often last year.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard Johnson called an unconventional route runner and this makes him effective. I have no idea what that means........

My only guess is he knows when to break off a route to create space or help his QB. If that's true that would be great with a mobile QB that may draw guys toward the line on a scramble. The key will be building chemistry with Kaep. I'm intrigued to hear early reports from OTAs.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd like to see more 3 WR, 1 TE, single back sets, and go away from those heavy sets.
Spread them out.

I think adding Stevie means less playing time for Miller and McDonald.

We still don't have a red zone threat though and I still see us having problems in the red zone.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd like to see more 3 WR, 1 TE, single back sets, and go away from those heavy sets.
Spread them out.

Sigh... imagine Dri Archer as the RB on those passing downs.

Boldin, Crabby, Stevie, Vernon & Dri. The Saints won a SB with an offense similar to that, and their D wasn't nearly as good as the Niners' D. :pout:

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the best receiver group we've had in a long time. Kaep really needs to step up with those progressions. Absolutely no excuses for him this year.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd also like to point out that people were adamant about getting a guy who "can stretch the field" (I'm so tired of hearing that phrase) as the 3rd receiver. Quinton Patton's 4.48 speed just wasn't fast enough, but apparently people are happy with Stevie Johnson despite his 4.59 speed. I'm sure people will say "his game speed is faster".

A WR's speed is not a good indicator of ability. Can the guy play or can he not play? In my opinion, Quinton Patton has more than enough talent to succeed if given the opportunity and I would have been fine with him as the 3rd WR. But I don't think he comes close to Stevie's level of play, at least not yet.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd also like to point out that people were adamant about getting a guy who "can stretch the field" (I'm so tired of hearing that phrase) as the 3rd receiver. Quinton Patton's 4.48 speed just wasn't fast enough, but apparently people are happy with Stevie Johnson despite his 4.59 speed. I'm sure people will say "his game speed is faster".

A WR's speed is not a good indicator of ability. Can the guy play or can he not play? In my opinion, Quinton Patton has more than enough talent to succeed if given the opportunity and I would have been fine with him as the 3rd WR. But I don't think he comes close to Stevie's level of play, at least not yet.

I don't think anyone would confuse either Patton or Stevie Johnson with a field-stretching kind of receiver. Stevie Johnson is more of the same. In fact, Patton may even be the better receiver (I'd say probably not though).

That said, it's looking like a really good receiving corps. There's no one guy who's gonna set the world on fire, but there are 3 guys who could all probably go off on a lesser DB. Unfortunately, Vernon is still the deep threat (wanted there to be 2 like w/ Dri Archer or maybe Donte Moncrief). :frown:

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone would confuse either Patton or Stevie Johnson with a field-stretching kind of receiver. Stevie Johnson is more of the same. In fact, Patton may even be the better receiver (I'd say probably not though).

That said, it's looking like a really good receiving corps. There's no one guy who's gonna set the world on fire, but there are 3 guys who could all probably go off on a lesser DB. Unfortunately, Vernon is still the deep threat (wanted there to be 2 like w/ Dri Archer or maybe Donte Moncrief). :frown:

Definitely not "field stretchers" by any means. But that trait, imo, is an incredibly over-rated one for a WR. I'd much rather take a legitimate WR like Patton or Johnson than some track star who can't catch.

I'm with you on Patton MAYBE being better than Stevie. But I think I've been higher on him than most.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Sick, if Kaep doesn't vastly improve this year, you're gonna need to scoot over on the Kaep-hating bandwagon because I'll be getting on too.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Definitely not "field stretchers" by any means. But that trait, imo, is an incredibly over-rated one for a WR. I'd much rather take a legitimate WR like Patton or Johnson than some track star who can't catch.

Well obviously you want the slower guy if the faster guy can't catch. But hands being equal, different receivers bring different value to an offense. Boldin had a very similar year statistically to Torrey Smith last season. Tough DBs like Seattles' shut Boldin down, but DBs with blazing speed can prevent Torrey Smith from getting behind 'em. Each one brings something different. The problem becomes when you ONLY have toughness & no speed or if you only have speed & no toughness. This is part of the reason (besides KR duties) why I wanted the Niners to keep Ted Ginn Jr (huge mistake to let him go). He could have worked well in certain offensive packages because the defense has to play him differently than the other guys.

If the Niners can keep the talent on the OL and at RB & TE but add a receiver who's a legitimate deep threat it would be extremely dangerous (Torrey Smith, Mike Wallace, Desean Jackson, Brandin Cooks and so on). It might be dangerous anyway, but I think that scenario would be about as good as it's going to get w/ Kaep at QB.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
And Sick, if Kaep doesn't vastly improve this year, you're gonna need to scoot over on the Kaep-hating bandwagon because I'll be getting on too.

I'm not a Kaep hater. I don't think he's a bad QB. I just think he's peaked because he's incredibly slow-witted for an NFL QB. I don't think he has the intelligence to be a great QB (seeing whole the field quickly & getting rid of the ball quickly like Kurt Warner or Phillip Rivers). His insane physical gifts makes up for some of that, but when it's all said & done I think he's a mediocre QB. And I don't believe in going with a mediocre QB long term. They're too easy to replace & too expensive to keep; and you miss out when a great QB comes along whom you have a chance to get.

Last edited by a moderator:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd up to Harbs/roman to utilize those core. And kap to use them all

If not then we are typical rely on the run game and defense.