• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners Trade for Stevie Johnson

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This. And I was saying it was a stupid move to not re-sign him even before he signed with the Panthers.

I remember getting into a heated argument with Clyde & imac about how dumb I was for thinking Ted Ginn is a better receiver than Kyle Williams and how dumb I was for thinking Kyle Williams sucked; but I always defended the guy. Not bringing Ginn back could've been the difference last year. :pout:

Frankly, I think Kyle Williams could be a decent receiver in the right situation. And I thought it was incredibly stupid to cut him when we did last year - not so much because he was all that good, but because we didn't exactly have anything else going for us at that point. Manningham had one tolerable game - and even that only by the standards of our receivers last year - and we cut the guy who was still our #3 WR.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Re: Kyle Williams vs. Ginn, I see them as being pretty different. Williams is more of a slot player; Ginn is an outside deep threat.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letting Ginn go was a big sh*t move by us IMO.... a lot of people bashed the idea of him as our main return man n deep threat even as a 4th WR... what a missed opportunity IMO. wasn't like he was commanding top $ either.

Happy Ginn was let go. Was not a fan of his. Not very good. I give him credit he had a ok year last year but happy we didn't sign him.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Letting Ginn go was a big sh*t move by us IMO.... a lot of people bashed the idea of him as our main return man n deep threat even as a 4th WR... what a missed opportunity IMO. wasn't like he was commanding top $ either.

Money wasn't the main issue or maybe even AN issue at all. He said over and over and over he wasn't going to stay in SF because he wanted a better fit on offense for him, something which he wasn't going to get with the 49ers.

If somebody is going to get on the 49ers for not keeping Ginn, and believe me I'm one of the biggest Ginn fans on the planet so I've had a hard time keeping quiet on the matter, they should get on the 49ers for not tailoring the offense more towards what he offers you as a player than bringing up money or something else.

In my world I would then challenge that fan to come up with good, solid reasons why he should've been afforded more opportunities and why the 49ers coaches were at fault or possibly been in the wrong for not giving him those opportunities as opposed to saying the 49ers coaches should've just made it work somehow like the Panthers did.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money wasn't the main issue or maybe even AN issue at all. He said over and over and over he wasn't going to stay in SF because he wanted a better fit on offense for him, something which he wasn't going to get with the 49ers.

If somebody is going to get on the 49ers for not keeping Ginn, and believe me I'm one of the biggest Ginn fans on the planet so I've had a hard time keeping quiet on the matter, they should get on the 49ers for not tailoring the offense more towards what he offers you as a player than bringing up money or something else.
In my world I would then challenge that fan to come up with good, solid reasons why he should've been afforded more opportunities and why the 49ers coaches were at fault or possibly been in the wrong for not giving him those opportunities as opposed to saying the 49ers coaches should've just made it work somehow like the Panthers did.

That should go on Roman/Harbaugh TBH... Even if its gadget plays, it works to Ginn's strength(speed element)...

Even having a simple go deep play would've suffice since Kap actually had the arm strength for it.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should go on Roman/Harbaugh TBH... Even if its gadget plays, it works to Ginn's strength(speed element)...

Even having a simple go deep play would've suffice since Kap actually had the arm strength for it.

We did use Ginn in gadget plays. The Jet Sweep, End O'rounds etc. Hell we even ran the option with him. (I apologize for bringing that memory up). The problem we had is we never threw him the ball. Which I didn't get since Kap has such a strong arm but hey that's all in the past now. But it would have been nice for Ginn to catch a couple deep balls with us.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Ginn should have been resigned last year over shitty Williams, I think Car only signed him for $1mil, however tho it has worked out for us. We have Stevie who is a lot better then Ginn and we have him for the next 3 years

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I thought Ginn should have been resigned last year over shitty Williams, I think Car only signed him for $1mil, however tho it has worked out for us. We have Stevie who is a lot better then Ginn and we have him for the next 3 years

I don't think Ginn's presence would have prevented us from going and getting Johnson. They're pretty different receivers. Though as said, there's very little reason to believe that Ginn would have stayed even if we had offered him more money than Carolina. He wanted to actually play WR. That wasn't happening in SF.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I always thought Ginn was great to have in certain offensive packages. He wasn't a guy who should've been no he field every play IMO, but I loved bringing him in for certain plays that would keep the DBs deeper. He was a great decoy, and he was actually really good on slants due to the space DBs gave him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Ginn and he didn't add anything great to this team. I understand if some people miss him because of the season he had but that would of never happen with SF. He didn't fit in. Happy he is gone.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't like Ginn and he didn't add anything great to this team. I understand if some people miss him because of the season he had but that would of never happen with SF. He didn't fit in. Happy he is gone.

And some people (myself included, to an extent) have a problem with that. Ginn was precisely the type of receiver that we needed last year, but when he was on the roster for three years, we didn't utilize him at all.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And some people (myself included, to an extent) have a problem with that. Ginn was precisely the type of receiver that we needed last year, but when he was on the roster for three years, we didn't utilize him at all.

Exactly...

But its all good... We now have Bruce Ellington to fill the role of the seldom used speedster who does a great job of not seeing the field in Roman's offense...

Hey, atleast he was only a fourth round pick instead of first like AJ Jenkins :suds:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Exactly...

But its all good... We now have Bruce Ellington to fill the role of the seldom used speedster who does a great job of not seeing the field in Roman's offense...

Hey, atleast he was only a fourth round pick instead of first like AJ Jenkins :suds:

I realize this is said in a joking fashion, but I've seen a few people - like Bill Williamson - saying that Ellington is a deep threat. I think he's much more of a slot guy. It would be great if he can also stretch the field outside the hashes, but I'm not really counting on it.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ellington can be that guy, really fast and strong for his size

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this to a point. Like I said he didn't fit in with this offense. Not calling him a bad player. He is better with another team. Miami didn't use him right either.