• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners Trade for Stevie Johnson

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Stevie is energetic for the new team.....

Its on Kap to distribute the ball accordingly.... and for Harbaugh n Roman to create gameplans or instill a sense of "Kap throw the freakin ball around" mentality... can't baby him, got to be hard on him.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is great for this offense. Kap never really had 2 good receivers(last year for a couple games but I don't think Crabtree was 100%). Now lets hope he starts the season with 3. Kap has done a great job with reads when he has trust in the guys. Now he will have Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson and VD. This is great.

Cant wait for this offense.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^This guy gets it, thats what people dont understand about Kap, he never has had 2 really good WR on the field at the same time healthy. Now he has Crabs who is healthy, Boldin and Stevie. Mix in Patton, Lloyd and Ellington and look out

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh... imagine Dri Archer as the RB on those passing downs.

Boldin, Crabby, Stevie, Vernon & Dri. The Saints won a SB with an offense similar to that, and their D wasn't nearly as good as the Niners' D. :pout:

Hyde>>>>>>>archer..Hyde is our future bell cow, not even close

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never used a 3rd Option...

always Davis n Boldin... didn't matter if Baldwin or Patton got open... or were even targeted.

Before Crabtree, Bolding or Davis... MM fell out too.

Did you watch games? Our 3rd option sucked ass, Patton was worthless and the rest couldn't get open. If your the QB, you would throw to Crab, Boldin and Davis too. Now we have 3 stud WR's and a TE. I expect a huge year from Kap and the 49ers offense. Never seen so many people bitch about Kap who has been starting for less the 2 seasons and took this team to a super bowl. 2 years starting and he was better then Young and Montana in the playoffs and broke records with rushing yards and people continue to hate on our franchise QB who is 26 years old. A bunch of clueless bitches on here as of late.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch games? Our 3rd option sucked ass, Patton was worthless and the rest couldn't get open. If your the QB, you would throw to Crab, Boldin and Davis too. Now we have 3 stud WR's and a TE. I expect a huge year from Kap and the 49ers offense. Never seen so many people bitch about Kap who has been starting for less the 2 seasons and took this team to a super bowl. 2 years starting and he was better then Young and Montana in the playoffs and broke records with rushing yards and people continue to hate on our franchise QB who is 26 years old. A bunch of clueless bitches on here as of late.

:agree: I just don't get it. He has been one of the most successful QBs to start a career. He also game changer and clutch QB. He has been awesome in the playoffs. What more do you want from your franchise QB. Yes he has won a superbowl but he only been the starter for 1 1/2 years and the D kind of lost that super bowl for us. He almost had the greatest come back in super bowl history.

Now to be fair is the most perfect QB no but he has done his part for this team.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I watched niner games. I saw Kap consistently threw to one target despite even looking at the open Davis running up the middle/rollout or even looking to hit a Baldwin on a crossing route.... yes I've seen plenty of Kap throwing it to one area. He was a one read QB this season, try n argue he wasn't.

sounds like a bunch homers who can't recognize Kap's faults... he has great upside but he also has his flaws... he needs more work in the film room rather than the weight room.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched niner games. I saw Kap consistently threw to one target despite even looking at the open Davis running up the middle/rollout or even looking to hit a Baldwin on a crossing route.... yes I've seen plenty of Kap throwing it to one area. He was a one read QB this season, try n argue he wasn't.

sounds like a bunch homers who can't recognize Kap's faults... he has great upside but he also has his flaws... he needs more work in the film room rather than the weight room.

No one said he didn't have flaws. He isn't a 1 read option. A 1 read option doesn't make it to the super bowl and 2 NFC championship games. Stats will show he was at least a 2 read option QB. He got the ball to VD and Boldin. Now he will have 4 options and I bet he uses all 4.

U also sound like you have no clue when you say he needs more film work then Weight room. Harbaugh and Baalke have said no one watches more film then Kap on the team. Don't listen to the Media when they have no clue whats going on behind closed doors.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd like to see more 3 WR, 1 TE, single back sets, and go away from those heavy sets.
Spread them out.

I think adding Stevie means less playing time for Miller and McDonald.

We still don't have a red zone threat though and I still see us having problems in the red zone.

I think there's little doubt we'll see more three-WR sets. Really, I just want some more diversity. I like Miller and I think McDonald could develop into a good, versatile player. We just get too damn predictable sometimes. I don't know how likely that is to change, but with the diversity of RBs, the blocking talent (OL, FB, and TEs), and the receiving talent (primarily WRs and TEs), there's just no excuse for this team not to excel on offense. I'm worried we're going to use that diversity in a predictable fashion, though. In the past, it has seemed like we only run a handful of plays out of certain alignments or with certain backs (think the single-receiver, heavy formations with Ginn, or basically any plays with LMJ). I think the onus is on the coaching staff to figure out how to use all this talent in unpredictable ways.

Re: the red zone, Vernon Davis is one of the best red zone threats in the league (8 red zone TDs last year). In both 2010 and 2011, Johnson had six red zone TDs. Boldin is a red zone threat. Crabtree, too. We don't have a huge presence back there - unless Baldwin has a fire lit under his ass - but we've got more than enough weapons to make things happen. In addition to the most physical back from this draft.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd also like to point out that people were adamant about getting a guy who "can stretch the field" (I'm so tired of hearing that phrase) as the 3rd receiver. Quinton Patton's 4.48 speed just wasn't fast enough, but apparently people are happy with Stevie Johnson despite his 4.59 speed. I'm sure people will say "his game speed is faster".

A WR's speed is not a good indicator of ability. Can the guy play or can he not play? In my opinion, Quinton Patton has more than enough talent to succeed if given the opportunity and I would have been fine with him as the 3rd WR. But I don't think he comes close to Stevie's level of play, at least not yet.

Sick largely addressed this, and I agree with what he said. I'm probably further on the "speed is overrated" side of the equation than he is. The issue is that we don't have speed. If we're looking at two receivers, one who is tough, physical, and can work the short area and middle of the field, and the other with deep speed, I want whichever guy I think is the better overall player. If I'm building a team from scratch, I'd rather have a Boldin than a Torrey Smith, for instance (discounting age difference). But if I have a Boldin, I'd rather have a Torrey Smith than a Kendall Wright (or other slot-type guy). On this team, we've got a bunch of guys who fit the mold - at least in terms of where on the field they do most of their damage - and no true deep threats.

Now, having said that, I don't think there's a team out there with a third corner who can match up on any of our top-three receivers. And particularly when we factor in Davis and really whoever our RB will be. So Stevie will do more than a guy like Moncrief would have this year. If we use these guys.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not a Kaep hater. I don't think he's a bad QB. I just think he's peaked because he's incredibly slow-witted for an NFL QB. I don't think he has the intelligence to be a great QB (seeing whole the field quickly & getting rid of the ball quickly like Kurt Warner or Phillip Rivers). His insane physical gifts makes up for some of that, but when it's all said & done I think he's a mediocre QB. And I don't believe in going with a mediocre QB long term. They're too easy to replace & too expensive to keep; and you miss out when a great QB comes along whom you have a chance to get.

I don't disagree that he was slow in his progressions last year, but we have to remember that he's only started in the league for a year-and-a-half. How well did Brees and Brady go through their progressions at that point in their careers? Kap still has loads of room to grow. Let's see what he does this year.

That said, there are no convenient excuses (like "no third receiver") this year. I don't think any team has the type of supporting cast he does on offense. He's arguably got guys who should be in the pro bowl hunt at LT, LG, RG, RT, TE, and FB (if they actually based it on blocking....). At WR, while he may not have one extraordinary guy (and he could if Crabtree can return to his late-2012 form), he's arguably got three guys in the top-20. And he's got a potentially incredible stable of RBs that should bring some very different skillsets to the table.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is great for this offense. Kap never really had 2 good receivers(last year for a couple games but I don't think Crabtree was 100%). Now lets hope he starts the season with 3. Kap has done a great job with reads when he has trust in the guys. Now he will have Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson and VD. This is great.

Cant wait for this offense.

No, he hasn't, and there is absolutely no evidence to back up that claim. A great job with his reads? Seriously? Who that has been paying attention would actually make this argument?

When Kap was playing well in 2012, he was basically just forcing it to Crabtree (37% of attempts and 34% of completions to Crabtree in the regular season; 35% of attempts and a whopping 41% of completions to Crabtree in the playoffs). Usually Crabtree was doing a pretty good job of getting open, but it was hardly a case of Kap going through his progressions. It was a case of him throwing to his first read, who was playing very well - and, to be fair, of Kap squeezing the ball into some tight spaces. In 2013, Kap forced it to Boldin early on, and then to Crabtree and Boldin once Crabtree returned. Over 68% of Kap's playoff passes went to those two guys.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL you guys are funny!

Stop arguing with people who don't have the slightest clue of what they're taking about. They are ridiculous and it's wasting your time.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
:agree: I just don't get it. He has been one of the most successful QBs to start a career. He also game changer and clutch QB. He has been awesome in the playoffs. What more do you want from your franchise QB. Yes he has won a superbowl but he only been the starter for 1 1/2 years and the D kind of lost that super bowl for us. He almost had the greatest come back in super bowl history.

Now to be fair is the most perfect QB no but he has done his part for this team.

BS. Look, Kap led a great comeback in that game, but he played poorly early on. If the D hadn't completely shut down the Ravens' offense in the second half, the comeback would have been completely irrelevant.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No one said he didn't have flaws. He isn't a 1 read option. A 1 read option doesn't make it to the super bowl and 2 NFC championship games. Stats will show he was at least a 2 read option QB. He got the ball to VD and Boldin. Now he will have 4 options and I bet he uses all 4.

U also sound like you have no clue when you say he needs more film work then Weight room. Harbaugh and Baalke have said no one watches more film then Kap on the team. Don't listen to the Media when they have no clue whats going on behind closed doors.

Throwing to two players doesn't mean you aren't a one-read QB. On some plays, Boldin was the first read. On other plays, Davis was the first read. Hell, on some plays, Bruce Miller was the first read. Throwing to "secondary" receivers doesn't mean that guy isn't the first read on a given play.

Although I believe that Kap does spend a fair bit of time in the film room, if the starting QB wasn't spending more time watching film than everyone else on the team, we'd have a serious problem.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS. Look, Kap led a great comeback in that game, but he played poorly early on. If the D hadn't completely shut down the Ravens' offense in the second half, the comeback would have been completely irrelevant.

also throw in some bad play calls from roman or harbs towards the end...