• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners reminisce about Candlestick

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Just some random thoughts of Candlestick and the future at Levi's

My first game was the 1996 Wild Card against the Eagles. The parking lot was flooded. The field was a mess. Steve Young broke his ribs and we got routed the following week in Green Bay.

After that game my family and I were hooked.

The following year my Dad and uncle purchased the rights for 3 season tickets and we started going to all of the games. We had to let our tickets go in 2007 due to financial hardship and we regret it every year. UR section 13 row 5 seats 1 2 and 3, I'll never forget. The times we shared in that parking lot and stadium helped turn me into the person I am today. I was the sober driver from age 15 until 20. I had my first drink with my Dad while tailgating there.

Going to the games on Sunday took a lot of work. At that time we lived in Yuba City. To make it to the stadium with time to tailgate we had to be on the road by 7:30 am to get there by 9:30. 2 hours to get there and usually 5 hours to get back. (that I don't miss) But the times spent there with my uncles cousins brother and Dad was worth it all.

Since the Levi's stadium is surrounded by freeways I hope that It'll be a lot easier to get out of the bay following games. It's great for me because my in-laws live about 20 minutes from levi's and my brother in-law has a warehouse a couple miles from Levi. (free parking) I'm hoping to be able to put a down payment on season tickets early next year (if any are available). I feel as if it is going to be a very corporate crowd that is preoccupied with shmoozing customers and making deals. But this type of crowd maybe a little less violent than current attendees of 49ers games.

Being in Silicon Valley will provide the team with an enormous amounts of capital. Jed an Co. have done a great job of pimping out every inch of the place.

Do any of you guys have any memories there?

Last edited by a moderator:

jakea31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My family has had tickets since they began playing at Candlestick. I started to go to the games in the early 90s and I remember going to the NFC Championship game where they beat the Cowboys. I remember Young running around the field after the final snap. I also remember, most of all, Joe Montana's game against the Lions. I never saw Montana play live, so that was a treat. Plus, Barry Sanders is my favorite running back.

Like 49ermann, we had to drive down from Yuba City (odd). We actually drove to Concord, where we boarded a charter bus and it took us to the park. It was not that much, and it was worth it because they get you out of the parking lot fast while you could rest.

49ermann, what year did you graduate from high school? I think I was a little younger than you. I graduate in 2001.

Toolrulzz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First 3 games I attended were all playoff games and the Niners lost all 3. '90 Championship game to the Giants, '95 divisional game to the Packers, '97 Championship game to the Packers. Finally broke the curse with last years game against the Packers.

I have lots of awesome memories from the Giants there too. So many awesome times tailgating in the parking lot and the RV lot across the street. That place is such a dump but I'm gonna miss it just a little. I'll be there Monday for one last awesome time at the 'Stick.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might want to skip to 2:46 because the Worst can be pretty bad.

Last edited by a moderator: