• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners - Packers

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not looking good. If we can't cover Adams imagine what Lockett and Metcalf will do to us.
No team has two lockdown CB's, so you have to mix in Safety help. Every week there are good WR's to defend.

But we're supposed to be able to mix Safety help because the D-line is supposedly a strength. The D-line is supposed to contain the run without constant Safety help. This is also where the pass rushers are supposed to reduce time to throw downfield. They weren't even able to move Rodgers off his spots,m allowing him to throw 20+ yards downfield?!

To me, the bigger concern is the ability of the 49er offense to score in the 1st half?! They obviously can't start slow like the last two games, it puts too much pressure on the D.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team has two lockdown CB's, so you have to mix in Safety help. Every week there are good WR's to defend.

But we're supposed to be able to mix Safety help because the D-line is supposedly a strength. The D-line is supposed to contain the run without constant Safety help. This is also where the pass rushers are supposed to reduce time to throw downfield. They weren't even able to move Rodgers off his spots,m allowing him to throw 20+ yards downfield?!

To me, the bigger concern is the ability of the 49er offense to score in the 1st half?! They obviously can't start slow like the last two games, it puts too much pressure on the D.
Letting Buckner go and thinking armstead could replace him was the big mistake. We have a weak pass rush that doesn’t understand containment and a poor secondary. That is a lethal combination There is no answer for the offensive struggles without a running game. Russell Wilson should eat us alive but the 49ers always seem to be able to stay in every game even when they lose

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the interior O-line didn't play consistently enough. We expected the 49ers to be better in the trenches, but the opposite was true.

I don't blame the secondary on all of those deep throws, it isn't easy covering Adams in space. The issue was lack of pass rush, which was supposed to prevent these long throws. Bosa didn't dominate the LT like we expected.

Yes, they didn't run way outside because only Mostest is good at it. Sermon doesn't look like he can even go just outside the OT? As Grant Cohn says along with his guests, this run game can be held down because they know nothing is over the top. It can be held down knowing these RB's can't go way outside.
I'm hoping Sermon will figure it out

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pretty clear Shanahan had no confidence in Sermon running the ball. He put that game on Jimmy G to win and despite the slow start and a few missteps he had the team up 1 with 37 seconds left and Green Bay with 0 time outs.

No NFL Defense should allow a team to reach FG range under those circumstances especially on 2 completed passes in bounds.

Hard fought game on both sides, but the 49ers defense shit the bed at the end, and that is a worrying sign because that unit is suppose to be the strength of this team. The 2019 Defense would have closed that game out with a W for us.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pretty clear Shanahan had no confidence in Sermon running the ball. He put that game on Jimmy G to win and despite the slow start and a few missteps he had the team up 1 with 37 seconds left and Green Bay with 0 time outs.

No NFL Defense should allow a team to reach FG range under those circumstances especially on 2 completed passes in bounds.

Hard fought game on both sides, but the 49ers defense shit the bed at the end, and that is a worrying sign because that unit is suppose to be the strength of this team. The 2019 Defense would have closed that game out with a W for us.
That's pretty much how I see it. I'm guessing DeMeco's first year at DC plays into this. You can only hope he learns from it. It's only one game, and they were bound to lose a few games, but this one stings because a W was served up and we choked on it. On the bright side, it was good to see JG lead a potential game-winning drive when the pressure was on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Letting Buckner go and thinking armstead could replace him was the big mistake. We have a weak pass rush that doesn’t understand containment and a poor secondary. That is a lethal combination There is no answer for the offensive struggles without a running game. Russell Wilson should eat us alive but the 49ers always seem to be able to stay in every game even when they lose
Armstead was never intended to replace Buckner. Armstead plays outside on base downs, then moves inside on passing downs. Buckner was at 3-tech. If you isolate it to just Buckner, yeah we knew he was a big lost. If you look at it from the big picture AT THAT TIME, it made sense. But now two years later, no one will think of the big picture.

The offense is clearly held back by JG's inability to throw deep, and even medium throws to the sidelines. This allows the Safeties to 'cheat' in closer to the LOS, and support the run. Also, other than Mostert, our RB's aren't as good as we think, at least not yet. Our run game needs the OUTSIDE run but without Mostert, can't stretch the D horizontally.

Russell Wilson is dangerous because he can move out of the pocket and still make plays. The DE on his right side (Armstead/Ford) can't let him get outside. They need to rush his right shoulder side, not straight on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, he's a rookie and needs some time.

We didn't enough of Sermon yet, but it doesn't APPEAR he can run way outside? Lets hope he's effective even without going outside, catching the ball, and pass protect.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

No doubt, they shouldn't have allowed a 25 yard completion, followed by a 17 yard completion. Two of their top WR's should've been double teamed, especially Adams.

How do you allow that to happen?

Shannahan said on the 17 yard completion, two rookies (Lenoir and Hufanga) didn't play it correctly? I don't know, didn't see it.

Someone suggested (Youtube) that we don't kick off to the end zone, cause that would've burnt about 5 seconds? But they have a good returner so agree the odds favor letting them start at their 25.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armstead was never intended to replace Buckner. Armstead plays outside on base downs, then moves inside on passing downs. Buckner was at 3-tech. If you isolate it to just Buckner, yeah we knew he was a big lost. If you look at it from the big picture AT THAT TIME, it made sense. But now two years later, no one will think of the big picture.

The offense is clearly held back by JG's inability to throw deep, and even medium throws to the sidelines. This allows the Safeties to 'cheat' in closer to the LOS, and support the run. Also, other than Mostert, our RB's aren't as good as we think, at least not yet. Our run game needs the OUTSIDE run but without Mostert, can't stretch the D horizontally.

Russell Wilson is dangerous because he can move out of the pocket and still make plays. The DE on his right side (Armstead/Ford) can't let him get outside. They need to rush his right shoulder side, not straight on.
It is interesting to see how tight defenses are playing to the LOS... they dare us to throw deep, and we have yet to really exploit that. JG has said he runs the play that he's given... is it playcalling or the QB?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, they shouldn't have allowed a 25 yard completion, followed by a 17 yard completion. Two of their top WR's should've been double teamed, especially Adams.

How do you allow that to happen?

Shannahan said on the 17 yard completion, two rookies (Lenoir and Hufanga) didn't play it correctly? I don't know, didn't see it.

Someone suggested (Youtube) that we don't kick off to the end zone, cause that would've burnt about 5 seconds? But they have a good returner so agree the odds favor letting them start at their 25.
I was yelling at the tv when they didn't kick it in the field of play, lol. I get the risk, but our special teams has been surprisingly effective this year. At some point you gotta face one risk or the other. Given the game situation, taking any amount of time off the clock far outweighed the potential of a big return. This is Aaron Rodgers we're talking about...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed that Shanhan is a poor game manager and cannot figure out how to close games, but in defense of the defense, I know it sounds inexcusable to give up that much yardage with only 37 seconds left and no timeouts, but when you are only up one you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you don't hang back and they get behind you, game over. If you do hang back they just hit chunks underneath and pick you to death. Now, Warner fucked up big time by missing his spot where he was supposed to drop to and they should have known to lay down on those receivers for at least a few seconds when they tackled them but 49er players, especially defensive players, are always unprepared for things like this and that falls on the coaches.
All three losses in 2019 came because of huge defensive lapses at the end of the game (Atlanta and Baltimore) and/or foolish decision by Shanahan (Seattle) and they came within 2 inches of losing to Seattle again because of his ridiculous decision-making. And we all know about the collapse with 56 minutes left in the Super Bowl.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not the point. They chose to keep Armstead over Buckner and that was a bone head decision. I think Garappolo can throw deeper than he does, its just that Shanhan does not trust him to do it. He did it pretty well in my opinion in 2019 and 2017 when he was healthy.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he's a rookie and needs some time.

We didn't enough of Sermon yet, but it doesn't APPEAR he can run way outside? Lets hope he's effective even without going outside, catching the ball, and pass protect.
I was impressed with him in the few games I saw him play in in college but I guess that is a different game.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where the hell is Dee Ford??
Good question... where the hell is Dee Ford??

And, scooo ducks!! My daughter is a senior at Oregon... they've become my adopted college team ever since she left for college. Will be at the Stanford game this weekend. Hope they keep it rolling!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not the point. They chose to keep Armstead over Buckner and that was a bone head decision. I think Garappolo can throw deeper than he does, its just that Shanhan does not trust him to do it. He did it pretty well in my opinion in 2019 and 2017 when he was healthy.
This is fine if you're referring to cap hit, but if that was the point why did you post Armstead to REPLACE Buckner?

JG isn't a good thrower downfield.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was yelling at the tv when they didn't kick it in the field of play, lol. I get the risk, but our special teams has been surprisingly effective this year. At some point you gotta face one risk or the other. Given the game situation, taking any amount of time off the clock far outweighed the potential of a big return. This is Aaron Rodgers we're talking about...
We'll never know but what would we fans say had the return been for 70 yards like end of the half? Low odds i know, but had it happened..........Then fans would be saying how stupid to kick it to the returner?

I still say the defense isn't supposed to allow a 25 yard catch, followed by a 17 yarder. So my opinion is still touchback.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is fine if you're referring to cap hit, but if that was the point why did you post Armstead to REPLACE Buckner?

JG isn't a good thrower downfield.
They kept Armstead in place of Buckner let's don't get hung up on semantics.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They kept Armstead in place of Buckner let's don't get hung up on semantics.
To the fans, it looks like that. I read an article a while back that outlined the cap hit under Armstead's new deal and the deal Buckner wanted (and got). For 2020 the savings was over $15M and in 2021 and 2022 it's something like $5M each year. With the team's window still "open" after a super bowl loss, this was a tough, but probably necessary, decision for the FO to make... especially when we had other vets in-line that needed to be signed.

Do I wish that Buckner was still on the team? Hell yeah! But I also want a pony, and I'm probably not getting one anytime soon.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll never know but what would we fans say had the return been for 70 yards like end of the half? Low odds i know, but had it happened..........Then fans would be saying how stupid to kick it to the returner?

I still say the defense isn't supposed to allow a 25 yard catch, followed by a 17 yarder. So my opinion is still touchback.
I won't disagree with you there....