• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners - Packers

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To the fans, it looks like that. I read an article a while back that outlined the cap hit under Armstead's new deal and the deal Buckner wanted (and got). For 2020 the savings was over $15M and in 2021 and 2022 it's something like $5M each year. With the team's window still "open" after a super bowl loss, this was a tough, but probably necessary, decision for the FO to make... especially when we had other vets in-line that needed to be signed.

Do I wish that Buckner was still on the team? Hell yeah! But I also want a pony, and I'm probably not getting one anytime soon.
Yes, thats what i meant wth big picture. There were other factors besides just Buckner and Armstead.

It wasn't as simple as choose Armstead over Buckner.

Lynch didn't just trade Buckner for the hell of it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They kept Armstead in place of Buckner let's don't get hung up on semantics.
Its not sematics, what you're saying is just incorrect.

You're implying Lynch ONLY had Armstead and Buckner on the table, and he could only choose one. You're implying Lynch didn't have other factors to consider, just Armstead vs Buckner. Not true.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the fans, it looks like that. I read an article a while back that outlined the cap hit under Armstead's new deal and the deal Buckner wanted (and got). For 2020 the savings was over $15M and in 2021 and 2022 it's something like $5M each year. With the team's window still "open" after a super bowl loss, this was a tough, but probably necessary, decision for the FO to make... especially when we had other vets in-line that needed to be signed.

Do I wish that Buckner was still on the team? Hell yeah! But I also want a pony, and I'm probably not getting one anytime soon.
Armstead only played well in 2019 because Buckner and Bosa were so good. he hasn't made a play since 2019 though.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not sematics, what you're saying is just incorrect.

You're implying Lynch ONLY had Armstead and Buckner on the table, and he could only choose one. You're implying Lynch didn't have other factors to consider, just Armstead vs Buckner. Not true.
I'm quite sure you know what I meant. They should have kept Buckner and dumped Armstead.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armstead only played well in 2019 because Buckner and Bosa were so good. he hasn't made a play since 2019 though.
I would argue that a majority of players haven't lived up to expectations since the super bowl (especially when you consider injuries), Armstead included. None of that negates the fact that the FO had a cap dilemma brewing and chose to keep as much of the team intact as they could, versus losing several in exchange for one player.... which was understandable at the time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would argue that a majority of players haven't lived up to expectations since the super bowl (especially when you consider injuries), Armstead included. None of that negates the fact that the FO had a cap dilemma brewing and chose to keep as much of the team intact as they could, versus losing several in exchange for one player.... which was understandable at the time.
Yes

Armstead just had a great season and he plays two spots. We felt the contract was high but not insanely high.

Also, we didn't have a 1st round pick but Kinlaw was very possible at 13th. We all have to admit, he looked like a potential, perenial Pro Bowler (no one knew just how bad his knee issue was at the time)

One key way to manage the cap is to have a player on a rookie contract.