• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next year - Offseason Discussion

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Notable UFA dmen, their age, and salary last season.

Ed Jovanovski 34 $6,500,000 <--Too injury prone. Not mobile enough.
Nicklas Lidstrom 40 $6,200,000 <--Not leaving Detroit
Bryan McCabe 35 $5,750,000 <--Not good enough defensively
Andrei Markov 31 $5,750,000 <--Major injury risk.
Roman Hamrlik 36 $5,500,000 <--Too old and crappy on both sides of the puck.
Scott Hannan 31 $4,500,000 <--No mobility and no offense
Eric Brewer 31 $4,250,000 <--Poor defensively
Tomas Kaberle 32 $4,250,000 <--Won't come out west
Joni Pitkanen 26 $4,000,000 <--A possibility but his price may skyrocket if he hits the open market.
Kevin Bieksa 29 $3,750,000 <--A possibility. Still not convinced with his defensive game.
Sami Salo 35 $3,500,000 <--Too old and too many injuries.
James Wisniewski 26 $3,250,000 <--A possibility but qusetionable defensively.
Christian Ehrhoff 27 $3,100,000 <--Probably won't play for San Jose again.
Ian White 26 $3,000,000 <--Will hopefully be re-signed

Pretty slim pickins on the UFA market.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon nailed it, yeah...

Not that much out there... what's the RFA list look like?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Dougie will definitely try to keep white.

however, I dont think he will dig into the UFA pool. When was the last non-goalie UFA dougie has signed for over 1M who wasnt already part of the team because of trade? (remember that huskins was traded for first, as was wallin). I guess Blake, but anyone else? grier?

Dougie goes after what he needs in trade. There are lots and lots of trade targets to be had out there, paritcularly for teams that need a top 2 center like pavs, a top 6 winger like seto, or a defensive Dman like pickles.

big name RFA's are plentiful right now: Weber, Bogosian, Yandle, Doughty to name a few. Obviously, doughty is pretty much guaranteed to get the big money from LA, so he is not an option, but the other 3 are. All 3 play for very low budget teams and two have major ownership problems that could prohibit them from giving big money and term. Dougie could pull the rabbit out of his hat and snatch yandle from phoenix.

There are alot of possibilities that dougie can consider and he is dealing from a position of strength. It's true when they say that there are 27 other teams that want to be where the sharks are. Particularly, there 14 teams just trying to make the PO's. Dougie has taken advantage of them in the past and could still do so this summer.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very slim indeed. When this happens, guys like Pitkonen and Bieksa get overpaid. DWil can still go for the depth approach instead of having a stud and the current D corp. Don't go high top end, just go for a bunch of #3 dmen (Demers, Wisnewski, Vlasic, Boyle, Murray, White)

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me elaborate on that.

Instead of trading Demers and Vlasic for a stud like say, Suter, sign the middle tier UFA dmen and ice a bunch of #3 dmen so that your third pairing still has very capable players.

SharkFan0720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Besides getting a top 4 D Man we really need to improve overall team SPEED. We just could not keep up with the Hawks or the Canucks.

SharkFan0720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Very slim indeed. When this happens, guys like Pitkonen and Bieksa get overpaid. DWil can still go for the depth approach instead of having a stud and the current D corp. Don't go high top end, just go for a bunch of #3 dmen (Demers, Wisnewski, Vlasic, Boyle, Murray, White)

That D core gets us in the same place we are in today, out of the playoffs.

Nimesis23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That D core gets us in the same place we are in today, out of the playoffs.

I'm not sure if that's true, I can't say Vancouver's D as individuals are that much better than those listed, they have the depth though and that's why they beat us and are in the conference finals. They proved you can get it done with a depth blue-line without the studs that Anaheim and Chicago and Detroit have had in the past making it to the Finals.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More depth at D please.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not sure if that's true, I can't say Vancouver's D as individuals are that much better than those listed, they have the depth though and that's why they beat us and are in the conference finals. They proved you can get it done with a depth blue-line without the studs that Anaheim and Chicago and Detroit have had in the past making it to the Finals.

I would say that perhaps they arent studs by the names on the backs of their jerseys, but they play like studs. Bieksa really destroyed the sharks this series physically and on the scoreboard. He may not have the big name, but he played like it.

side note: pickles has played 63 NHL playoff games and has yet to record a single goal (and just 9 assists). Wasnt this guy supposed to be at least competent offensively? He is a total useless hack on the offensive half of the ice.

Wisniewski could be a good target, too. He was pretty effective in MTL after he got out of the isle, where everyone goes to suck. He has a good shot and isnt slow, so he might be worth taking a shot at.

Of course, if dougie resigns white and starts the year with Boyle-Murray, Vlasic-Demers, White-Braun, it's not so bad. he can look to add one more dman later in the year (and one with more salary because of of the lesser cap hit) to complete the D we all know we need.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
petrecki might have some miracle turn around lol. BRaun or wimpneski would be fine, still need a 6 and 7

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ you guys thinking Wallin won't be around next year... :p

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing we can do about it.. Dougie loves the guy... it fits his #1 requirement in a FA (must have won cup)... all else is irrelevant! ):

Let's just hope he doesn't hugely overpay (again)...

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I love pavs as everyone knows on this board, but he is a hot commodity. He was the 30th overall scorer, which means that he would have been several teams leading scorer. He has improved steadily and is worth well more than his 4M salary and he is entering his prime, not to mention he has a great PO reputation. Simply put, he is the best trading chip dougie has. However, if dougie could package him and pickles and land weber and sign him long term, then I would do it in an instant. Pavs is great, but he is reaching his potential now given his raw lack of speed and quickness.

Buy low, sell high. Right now, pavs is real high, not to mention that with the emergence of couture, the sharks can afford to let pavs go for a great return.

Pavs is a winner in the PO's despite the latest slump. No way you trade the guy - he's golden with game winning shots.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing we can do about it.. Dougie loves the guy... it fits his #1 requirement in a FA (must have won cup)... all else is irrelevant! ):

Let's just hope he doesn't hugely overpay (again)...

Unfortunately, his fairly steady play in the PO's will likely raise his value. I hope we have 6 or 7 better options than him.