• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Next Head Coach Thread:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Really getting tired of reading 49er fans on twitter and on forums say we got rid of a great coach. Don't get me wrong Harbaugh was a good coach,but great? Come on! In order to be great you have to win the Super Bowl. Harbaugh never did that.

ok, we no longer have a GOOD, proven NFL HC. Still 'too bad' for us.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read last night that Mike Shanahan was rumored to be the front runner, with him possibly bringing Kyle with him as OC.

This news(rumor) is from NinerNation, I haven't read a ton of their stuff, so not sure if it's speculation or an actual quote from someone reliable.

49ers coaching rumors: Mike Shanahan might be the front runner - Niners Nation

I read that too. Always been a fan of Shanahan as coach. Still don't know how true that story is. I also read somewhere Balke is high on Fangio

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that too. Always been a fan of Shanahan as coach. Still don't know how true that story is. I also read somewhere Balke is high on Fangio

I think this would be the popular choice among a lot of fans, but I wouldn't be one of them. I think he's done a fantastic job as DC and I think he'll get a HC job at some point, I just don't think the time is right for him in SF.

I think the team needs an offensive mind. If the intent is to keep Kaep as our QB, we either need an offensive HC or a REAALLLY good OC, like a Norv Turner type.

Personally, I'd like Shanahan. My only though is, are we going to be rehashing this ALL over again in a couple years when Baalke/York can't get along with the HC?! OR Maybe Kyle comes with him to be the OC and dad grooms him a few more years to be the HC??!!

Who knows! :suds:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if Urban Meyer is ready to step up his game to the next level. He's a lot like Harbaugh in that he wins everywhere he goes difference is he seems to win the Big Games when they matter. That would make this like the perfect offseason for Michigan fans lol.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read last night that Mike Shanahan was rumored to be the front runner, with him possibly bringing Kyle with him as OC.

This news(rumor) is from NinerNation, I haven't read a ton of their stuff, so not sure if it's speculation or an actual quote from someone reliable.

shanahan would be good if fangio stays. but not sure if shanahan would like baalke making the decisions on personel. imo we shoulda kept shanahan after our last super bowl.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan sucks, Damn we are in trouble if this happens. Did u see what happen in Wash. This would be a bad move. I already want Harbaugh back. I was looking at all coaches and Harbaugh is by far the best one and we let him walk(I know it was mutual). Still if you gave him highest paid label I don't think he would of left.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

If both Shanahans are hired, I can already see Timmy K's first article about Mike bringing extra pacifiers for his baby Kyle.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shanahan would be good if fangio stays. but not sure if shanahan would like baalke making the decisions on personel. imo we shoulda kept shanahan after our last super bowl.

From what I remember, the 49ers basically promised Shanahan the HC job while Seifert was HC but Shanahan felt accepting the job that way was being unloyal to Seifert.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this would be the popular choice among a lot of fans, but I wouldn't be one of them. I think he's done a fantastic job as DC and I think he'll get a HC job at some point, I just don't think the time is right for him in SF.

I think the team needs an offensive mind. If the intent is to keep Kaep as our QB, we either need an offensive HC or a REAALLLY good OC, like a Norv Turner type.

Personally, I'd like Shanahan. My only though is, are we going to be rehashing this ALL over again in a couple years when Baalke/York can't get along with the HC?! OR Maybe Kyle comes with him to be the OC and dad grooms him a few more years to be the HC??!!

Who knows! :suds:

Good points. I think the important thing is to bring in the best qualified. With Fangio, the defense could still be elite. It would be important for Fangio to bring in the right OC and let him run the offense. I would love Norv Turner as OC, never liked him as a HC. But a great OC. Too bad we can't get him.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No no no to Shanahan. I would prefer McDaniels to that ego maniac. He hasnt fielded a good team since Jake Plummer was his QB in Denver.

Mock2Speed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That I find to be unfortunate. Mike Shanahan is only 4 years younger than Holmgren, so it doesn't necessarily project him to have a much longer stay if we're talking about age being a factor. Considering he approached the Niners, I don't imagine he came with a list of demands like personnel power. Kind of find this to be a head scratcher.:noidea:

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan sucks, Damn we are in trouble if this happens. Did u see what happen in Wash. This would be a bad move. I already want Harbaugh back. I was looking at all coaches and Harbaugh is by far the best one and we let him walk(I know it was mutual). Still if you gave him highest paid label I don't think he would of left.

It wasn't all about the money. There were philosophical differences and I could bet one of them was Roman as OC. I have a feeling that Harbaugh knew that he was not going to coach past last season. Time to move on and hope for a good hire from Jed and Trent.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L:L

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that Shanahan would be a good coach for the 49er's. Of course I'm biased but his reputation is a lot more solid in the NFL than some fans or media outlets would portray. Often fans will say that he couldn't win a Superbowl without John Elway. Well, the truth is that Elway couldn't win one without Shanny. He brought the WC offense and zone blocking schemes to Denver. Shanahan was the one who helped make Terrell Davis a world class running back.

Shanahan took the Broncos the AFCCG with Jake Plummer and was the only coach to extract good things out of Jay Cutler. I know that the Redskins experiment ended poorly but Shanny did get RGIII to a 10-6 record and a trip to the playoffs. As more time has passed, one could wonder if Shanahan was the problem or if it was RGIII.

Some are calling for Kubiak but keep in mind that Kubiak's coaching style was taken directly from Shanahan. Mike made him, so to speak. Shanny has a history with the 49er's and I think he would work his ass off to ensure that SF was returned to the proud franchise status that they deserve.

I know that there are preconceived notions about who he is as a coach but I can tell you that he made the Broncos relevant every year for 14 seasons. I don't know if he's still got that spark but if I was a 49er's fan, I would rather have a guy who has been there and done that than take a chance on another hotshot coordinator.

Just an outsider's perspective or my two cents. Probably not worth much but there it is.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rotoworld has rumor that Shanny to Bills as GM with son to HC Bils so that trumps our bid it would seem...so now it's time to cut bait and pray...not looking good"

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that Shanahan would be a good coach for the 49er's. Of course I'm biased but his reputation is a lot more solid in the NFL than some fans or media outlets would portray. Often fans will say that he couldn't win a Superbowl without John Elway. Well, the truth is that Elway couldn't win one without Shanny. He brought the WC offense and zone blocking schemes to Denver. Shanahan was the one who helped make Terrell Davis a world class running back.

Shanahan took the Broncos the AFCCG with Jake Plummer and was the only coach to extract good things out of Jay Cutler. I know that the Redskins experiment ended poorly but Shanny did get RGIII to a 10-6 record and a trip to the playoffs. As more time has passed, one could wonder if Shanahan was the problem or if it was RGIII.

Some are calling for Kubiak but keep in mind that Kubiak's coaching style was taken directly from Shanahan. Mike made him, so to speak. Shanny has a history with the 49er's and I think he would work his ass off to ensure that SF was returned to the proud franchise status that they deserve.

I know that there are preconceived notions about who he is as a coach but I can tell you that he made the Broncos relevant every year for 14 seasons. I don't know if he's still got that spark but if I was a 49er's fan, I would rather have a guy who has been there and done that than take a chance on another hotshot coordinator.

Just an outsider's perspective or my two cents. Probably not worth much but there it is.

Thanks for the post Milehigh. I have always been a fan of Mike Shanahan. He was the OC of our super bowl winning team back in 1994. He really helped Steve Young develop and turned that offense into a power house. I would agree about Elway. There are other HC;s who had great QB's who could never win a Super Bowl with them. I remember the Oline Shanahan built in Denver and the ground game he developed with T. Davis. I think there was another 1,000 yard rusher after T Davis also.