• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska @ Purdue week

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I call bullshit. As a father of a college athlete I know if there is a body on the bench, then there is another player that can come in and do just fine. Being benched after being a starter gives the player time to refocus. I have seen this happen time and time again and the starter comes back into the game and does fine ~ Hurt feelings don't matter in competitive sports as those players are resilient. Nebraska has guys who can do the job behind TA, don't fool yourself.

Exactly and if Riley handles the situation properly, Fyfe will do just fine on Saturday.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know.... I couldn't read the F'n numbers worth a shit. I know our center was fuckin' pumpkins there on a few plays
Right tackle...although it really doesn't matter because they all got smoked for most of the game.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How'd Zach Sterup do this weekend?
Ask me Sunday - point is the 2s and 3s at QB are scholly players and the time comes that they earn em. There was talk on Sharp and Benning about why the Huskers didn't rotate in the # 2s across the board on the O line vs NW. I didn't pay that much attention to the game to say, but that needs to be looked at by someone at UNL especially since the #1 O line played like a bunch of softies.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask me Sunday - point is the 2s and 3s at QB are scholly players and the time comes that they earn em. There was talk on Sharp and Benning about why the Huskers didn't rotate in the # 2s across the board on the O line vs NW. I didn't pay that much attention to the game to say, but that needs to be looked at by someone at UNL especially since the #1 O line played like a bunch of softies.
It's been looked at and Cav said he is going to play his best 5. He also said that they have got to get a lot better. These guys are working with what they have. Shit remember it's only been a year since we had the weeble wobbles except they did fall over.

It's not uncommon either not to rotate the offensive line. I understand the thought behind it though Michigan State has been doing it for the last few years with a good bit of success. My thought is it would be nice to have the depth to have two units rotating in and out. The fact is where we are right now is that we don't even have one unit that can play up to standard.

Again something you can't judge a man on in his first year. They need to be given time.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sterup is the #2 right tackle and he played last weekend. He got destroyed. During his interview, Cav said there is "a gap" between the 1s and 2s. You can't just say "There has to be someone who can do it" and have it be so.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been looked at and Cav said he is going to play his best 5. He also said that they have got to get a lot better. These guys are working with what they have. Shit remember it's only been a year since we had the weeble wobbles except they did fall over.

It's not uncommon either not to rotate the offensive line. I understand the thought behind it though Michigan State has been doing it for the last few years with a good bit of success. My thought is it would be nice to have the depth to have two units rotating in and out. The fact is where we are right now is that we don't even have one unit that can play up to standard.

Again something you can't judge a man on in his first year. They need to be given time.
The scary part about this is that most of those guys beat out the guys we've got in there now.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sterup is the #2 right tackle and he played last weekend. He got destroyed. During his interview, Cav said there is "a gap" between the 1s and 2s. You can't just say "There has to be someone who can do it" and have it be so.
I can understand this train of thought, but i'd still think if you want players to get better they need to see game action. some people just don't get it in practice, it's not full speed or it's against inferior players so they just don't get it. in game action it might come to them naturally or might not. but i still think you have to throw guys in there.

I'm not advocating playing the entire 2nd team line, i'm talking about getting a rotation going with 1 backup T and 1 backup G and possibly the #2 C (not all playing at the same time). If you can get an 8 man rotation going, it gives guys a chance to rest and if one of the top 5 does go down, you aren't all the sudden playing a guy with 0 game experience.

if for absolutely nothing else it's to help recruiting. if you can say you at least have an 8 man rotation then the players see a chance of cracking that. where as with only the top 5, it's like why have more than 10 scholarship o-linemen?

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
posted about Fyfe in the TA thread.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand this train of thought, but i'd still think if you want players to get better they need to see game action. some people just don't get it in practice, it's not full speed or it's against inferior players so they just don't get it. in game action it might come to them naturally or might not. but i still think you have to throw guys in there.

I'm not advocating playing the entire 2nd team line, i'm talking about getting a rotation going with 1 backup T and 1 backup G and possibly the #2 C (not all playing at the same time). If you can get an 8 man rotation going, it gives guys a chance to rest and if one of the top 5 does go down, you aren't all the sudden playing a guy with 0 game experience.

if for absolutely nothing else it's to help recruiting. if you can say you at least have an 8 man rotation then the players see a chance of cracking that. where as with only the top 5, it's like why have more than 10 scholarship o-linemen?
There is points for both sides. The other side is that a line has to have cohesiveness and you only get that through consistency. Ideally when we are beating up the bottom feeders the #2s get in. Unfortunately it has been years since we have been able to do that.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is points for both sides. The other side is that a line has to have cohesiveness and you only get that through consistency. Ideally when we are beating up the bottom feeders the #2s get in. Unfortunately it has been years since we have been able to do that.
Pretty much this. It's great to be able to get the 2nd teamers time, but this year we can't really afford to put in someone who isn't the best because our games are so close.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much this. It's great to be able to get the 2nd teamers time, but this year we can't really afford to put in someone who isn't the best because our games are so close.
It isn't just this year either. I don't think Pelini had more then a handful in his tenure where he could, and even less where he did.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, but you are talking about 3 seniors on that line. with our record at this point, we might as well be looking to next year. those 3 are gone, sure would be nice if the younger guys got some time, even if it's just a couple of series in the 1st and 2nd Quarters.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, but you are talking about 3 seniors on that line. with our record at this point, we might as well be looking to next year. those 3 are gone, sure would be nice if the younger guys got some time, even if it's just a couple of series in the 1st and 2nd Quarters.
Don't think you'll see that until a bowl game is no longer achievable. They'd have a whole new mess of crap to deal with if they don't get bowl eligible.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have some good OL coming up but they're either RS or just came from RS year, Farmer Gates Foster Soltenberg will turn out well down the line but it takes more than 2 seasons to really get up to speed with any OL position, Barnett and Decker on RS this year. We're just too young yet, it'll come around, Sterup however will not, he plays for the opposing teams defense, I knew when Gates got injured and he came in it was going to be a comedy reel, and it was

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using my old brain, I believe it was said (on 1620) there are 17 O Linemen on scholarship at Nebraska. If indeed there are only 5 that can play, it speaks volumes to how bad it has gotten in Lincoln.