• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nebraska @ Purdue week

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just wondering if anybody had any complaints outside of who he hired. Pretty much anybody who knows anything about football knows that it is too early to tell whether it was a good hire or not.

Why would anyone complain if Nebraska actually had a winning record which would make the fanbase optimistic for the future of our beloved football program? If Eichorst would have hired a coach with a awesome winning past, even if by some strange occurrence he still had the same starting 3-5 record here, I certainly would feel more optimistic for the future of Nebraska football, than if we had a coach with a losing past like Riley has.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So who would you propose we start, coach?

I'm not sure, but I do know a good coach would at least try a different QB for a series or two during a game if TA was struggling like he has numerous times this year. Sometimes being on the bench for a series or two can give a struggling QB a different perspective on the game. Who's to say that wouldn't have helped TA and brought him back to earth.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would anyone complain if Nebraska actually had a winning record which would make the fanbase optimistic for the future of our beloved football program? If Eichorst would have hired a coach with a awesome winning past, even if by some strange occurrence he still had the same starting 3-5 record here, I certainly would feel more optimistic for the future of Nebraska football, than if we had a coach with a losing past like Riley has.
So I guess I'll mark you down in the "Nothing aside from premature condemnation over the coaching hire" category?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no use being a smartass there tiger.
I'm just wondering what you would propose we do. We've got a backup QB who was a former walk-on 2 star with no offers out of high school. Color me shocked that we haven't trotted him out there more often.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So I guess I'll mark you down in the "Nothing aside from premature condemnation over the coaching hire" category?

No, mark me down as a fella who knows Eichorst needed to go after with a coach with a REAL winning past, instead of just placing a body at the Nebraska head coaching position category.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm just wondering what you would propose we do. We've got a backup QB who was a former walk-on 2 star with no offers out of high school. Color me shocked that we haven't trotted him out there more often.

Oh I didn't realize we only had one backup QB, my mistake.
By the way, did you even read where I said to throw TA on the bench for a series or so during his one of many struggling episodes to give him a different perspective? Of course I do realize that only the top tier coaches would even think of that.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I didn't realize we only had one backup QB, my mistake.
By the way, did you even read where I said to throw TA on the bench for a series or so during his one of many struggling episodes to give him a different perspective? Of course I do realize that only the top tier coaches would even think of that.
Sorry forgot about Darlington, who could die if he gets hit too hard, and Bush, who was just stellar in the spring game and can't beat out previously mentioned walk on 2 star.

Care to cite an example of the bolded?

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry forgot about Darlington, who could die if he gets hit too hard, and Bush, who was just stellar in the spring game and can't beat out previously mentioned walk on 2 star.

Care to cite an example of the bolded?

I remember Osborne doing this, but I don't remember any specific games. Would you consider Osborne to be a top tier head coach?

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe Riley should have placed Fyfe out there against Illinois in the last 50 seconds or so of that game. I bet he would have been smart enough to not throw the ball and stop the clock.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Osborne doing this, but I don't remember any specific games. Would you consider Osborne a top tier head coach?
Yes I do...in fact, he did this with Frazier and Berringer in the Orange Bowl and that worked out quite nicely. However, how often did he put someone of Fyfe's caliber into a close game, as ours have been pretty much all year? It would be great to be able to go to the backup for a series or two to get TA's head right, if we had someone who could be trusted to do it. We don't have that luxury.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes I do...in fact, he did this with Frazier and Berringer in the Orange Bowl and that worked out quite nicely. However, how often did he put someone of Fyfe's caliber into a close game, as ours have been pretty much all year? It would be great to be able to go to the backup for a series or two to get TA's head right, if we had someone who could be trusted to do it. We don't have that luxury.

I bet one of the backups could be trusted to hand the ball off, or maybe even throw a safe short pass or two. The way TA is so erratic with his passes at times, a backup can't get more erratic than throwing a pick six like TA did last Saturday! True story! lol

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet one of the backups could be trusted to hand the ball off, or maybe even throw a safe short pass or two. The way TA is so erratic with his passes at times, a backup can't get more erratic than throwing a pick six like TA did last Saturday! True story! lol
You are entitled to your opinion :noidea:

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering if anybody had any complaints outside of who he hired. Pretty much anybody who knows anything about football knows that it is too early to tell whether it was a good hire or not.
I just stated the obvious, Fuchorst didn't put much thought into the hire, he just went ahead and did the anti-Blo thing. Riley just might succeed here, but it will take longer because of the change of offensive styles. To truly be the SLING IT first team that Riley craves, he needs to get a few pro passers into the fold and put the rest of the QBs out to pasture. If this actually is what Fuchorst wanted, then also he thought the hell with the fans, & a winning tradition that was built on a strong run game.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just stated the obvious, Fuchorst didn't put much thought into the hire, he just went ahead and did the anti-Blo thing. Riley just might succeed here, but it will take longer because of the change of offensive styles. To truly be the SLING IT first team that Riley craves, he needs to get a few pro passers into the fold and put the rest of the QBs out to pasture. If this actually is what Fuchorst wanted, then also he thought the hell with the fans, & a winning tradition that was built on a strong run game.
So that's two in the premature judgement category I guess.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So other than not hire the coach you wanted, what exactly has Eichorst done that is so terrible? You guys say he's an egomaniac like SP, yet in the same breath ask if he even makes appearances any more. Not sure if you guys recall, but Pedey loved to be the center of attention. Eichorst is anything but that. I've yet to see any criticism of Eichorst on here that wasn't "Waaahhh...we didn't get a big-time hire!" Never mind the fact that "big-time hire" is not exactly the way we do things here in Nebraska. So what is it that has you guys so worked up about SE?

1. His initials rhyme with SP. From now on, no one with the initials of SB, SC, SD, SE, SG, SP, ST, SV, SZ can be hired as an athletic director. They tend to be stupid.

2. I agree with firing Pelini. But, if you read anything I posted on December 4, SE had absolutely no plan. None. Squat. Zilch. He fired Pelini after the Iowa game with no plan. Within one week, he hired Mike Riley, a proven loser, and gave Mike Riley a pay raise. The only thing Riley is, is the anti-Pelini.

3. How many hires has Shawn Eichorst made at Nebraska? I really don't know, but I am going to guess ONE. The most important hire, the football coach. You can fuck up when you hire the rifle team coach, the wrestling coach, but when you fuck up the most important aspect of your job title, guess what, you won't do well in the other hires either. So far, the SE track record of hiring is garbage.

4. He is a waffler. In 2014 he said he doesn't talk about coaches during the season, in 2015 he flip-flopped. Great a flip flopper waffler, either lead follow or get out of the way, Eichorst has so far proven he cannot decide what he is, get him out of the way.

October 10, 2015, Eichorst went public on TV and stated, "Folks who are objective and intelligent about football have to look at graduation, injuries, suspensions, and dismissals, and all that other stuff. No excuses there, but we have to be judged fairly on where we're at, I like where we're at."

Exclusive: Nebraska Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst: 'I like where we're at'

I actually think this is him putting a dig on the fan base and calling us NOT objective and NOT intelligent.

5. Let's examine revenues
2008 total athletic Dept revenue was $75,500,000 with $16,500,000 in donations.
2012 revenue $81,630,000, donations $9,800,000
2013 revenue $87,000,000 donations $12,700,000
2014 revenue $94,500,000 donations $11,900,000 huge jump in ticket sales, is this the new stadium?

Source, Nebraska is #26

USA TODAY Sports

This is a wait to be seen number, as the football team was winning with a mad, angry, spiteful coach, what will 2016 bring? I will guess that 2015 is going to be with an increase or the same as 2014, because it is the year after the Pelini firing. Fiscal year 2016 will be the year when this hiring begins to set in.

6. Since I don't live in Nebraska, I have no idea is SE is visible or invisible. But on the internet, there really isn't much about him. Which tells me he is invisible, even though he made all these appearances but I guess they were anonymous ones or they were for his own benefit.

Here is what he said on his first day

"My expectations are to carry on the history and tradition. I don't think this is a place where you have to reinvent the wheel. I think what you have to do is get yourself immersed in everything Nebraska. My goal would be to make something that is already great, better."
– Shawn Eichorst on Jan. 3, 2013, his first day as director of athletics at NU

He completely reinvented the wheel.

7. 2015, Nebraska has a very good chance to have FIVE home losses. In 1961 Nebraska had four home losses and one tie, the coach was fired.

8. 2015, Nebraska has a very good chance to NOT WIN any home conference games. Which is something that has not happened since 1968 when Nebraska went 0-3 in Big 8 play.

That kind of performance on the field of your highest revenue producing sport, is not going to go over very well.

Luckily, he likes where he has put Nebraska.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HB10 also is in the premature judgement camp, with a side of talking/not talking to the media. You guys are hilarious...he comes out and says something and it's "OMG that's against his policy!" But if he didn't say anything it would be "He's invisible and needs to stand up and face what he did!"

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oaknightshockey1 is in the Shawn Eichorst Can do No Wrong Camp.

One thing I know for sure about you Oak, is you kicked my ass in the pick'ems the last two weeks.

Did you see the stat where Nebraska had 9 third and four situations or less against Northwestern? Nebraska ran three times and got the first down, the other six were pass attempts, one completion for a first down, four incompletions, and one pick six that was the difference in the game. That makes it 100% success running for a first down on 3rd and four or less, and 16% when passing the ball, with 16% of throwing a pick six.