• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Neb DT Transferring to OU

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm done with the Sugar Bowl...the gawt damn season is about to begin.

Exactly.

A fluke win.

Just like last years RRSO.

2014 is ON.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will Mike Stoops 2nd year back at OU. I think the defense will be great this year. Have to keep Tapper and Striker healthy though.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Assuming no major injuries, OU's defense is good enough on talent alone to win 10 games this year. The question is if they are consistent enough to win 12 games. I doubt it. Until I see OU bring it every Saturday for 12 games in a row we have to expect a continuation of the problems Venables and Mike Stoops have both had: some games the D just doesn't show up. I'm not talking an "off day"; I'm talking about a really shitty day when an opponent fills an entire highlight reel against the Sooners. It's been ugly as hell to watch if you're an OU fan. Talent is one thing but intelligence and character are just as important. We'll see. But people need to remember we got lit up by Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Alabama last year. We lucked out against OSU and got beat by UT and Baylor. The offense was on fire against Alabama and that saved us.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming no major injuries, OU's defense is good enough on talent alone to win 10 games this year. The question is if they are consistent enough to win 12 games. I doubt it. Until I see OU bring it every Saturday for 12 games in a row we have to expect a continuation of the problems Venables and Mike Stoops have both had: some games the D just doesn't show up. I'm not talking an "off day"; I'm talking about a really shitty day when an opponent fills an entire highlight reel against the Sooners. It's been ugly as hell to watch if you're an OU fan. Talent is one thing but intelligence and character are just as important. We'll see. But people need to remember we got lit up by Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Alabama last year. We lucked out against OSU and got beat by UT and Baylor. The offense was on fire against Alabama and that saved us.

To be fair, the article does a good job of addressing this.

"The problem for Oklahoma playing this front in 2013 was that they were too small and inexperienced up front to properly execute it.

Corey Nelson was supposed to serve as inside linebacker who could also play as the "Sam" if the offense brought out bigger personnel that negated the need for a nickelback but he went down for the season in game five against TCU and left freshman Dominique Alexander to fill his role inside. The Sooners had also just lost their "war daddy" nose tackle Jordan Phillips in game four, a 6'6" 334 monster who was emerging as a potential superstar. They replaced him with redshirt freshman Jordan Wade."

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will Mike Stoops 2nd year back at OU. I think the defense will be great this year. Have to keep Tapper and Striker healthy though.

How did I forget Tapper?

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring injuries, the DL might just be our strength.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3rd year back
I thought this would be the year we would see real change, when he came back. Thought the first 2 years would just be building up to this.
We will see.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, the article does a good job of addressing this.

"The problem for Oklahoma playing this front in 2013 was that they were too small and inexperienced up front to properly execute it.

Corey Nelson was supposed to serve as inside linebacker who could also play as the "Sam" if the offense brought out bigger personnel that negated the need for a nickelback but he went down for the season in game five against TCU and left freshman Dominique Alexander to fill his role inside. The Sooners had also just lost their "war daddy" nose tackle Jordan Phillips in game four, a 6'6" 334 monster who was emerging as a potential superstar. They replaced him with redshirt freshman Jordan Wade."

Romeo, the problem I was addressing goes back for years. And it has had very little to do with talent in most of those years. I understand getting beat. What I don't like is losing when OU obviously played a horrible game. Venables (damn I'm glad he's gone!) was famous for screwing the pooch and it has bled over a bit with Mike Stoops. These things take time to resolve and hopefully OU has it figured out. But talent alone won't fix the problem. The players need to mature and bring their "A" game EVERY week if they expect to win a NC. Anything less and we get set up for another ugly loss that ruins the season. Remember: our offense will be spotty this year; we absolutely need the D to play well every game to have a chance at getting into the playoff.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romeo, the problem I was addressing goes back for years. And it has had very little to do with talent in most of those years. I understand getting beat. What I don't like is losing when OU obviously played a horrible game. Venables (damn I'm glad he's gone!) was famous for screwing the pooch and it has bled over a bit with Mike Stoops. These things take time to resolve and hopefully OU has it figured out. But talent alone won't fix the problem. The players need to mature and bring their "A" game EVERY week if they expect to win a NC. Anything less and we get set up for another ugly loss that ruins the season. Remember: our offense will be spotty this year; we absolutely need the D to play well every game to have a chance at getting into the playoff.

Mike stoops needs time to implement is culture and system. I wouldn't say it bled over.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring injuries, the DL might just be our strength.

Far from it. Your DL is terrible. The two games OU was clownstomped in last year, teams ran at will. Okie jr's RB's even ran at will. Had Bama's OC not stopped giving the ball to Yeldon and Henry, Bama wins that game, IMO. DL is OU's weak spot. Lucky for OU though, the majority of the Big 12 teams do not run the ball the majority of the time.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far from it. Your DL is terrible. The two games OU was clownstomped in last year, teams ran at will. Okie jr's RB's even ran at will. Had Bama's OC not stopped giving the ball to Yeldon and Henry, Bama wins that game, IMO. DL is OU's weak spot. Lucky for OU though, the majority of the Big 12 teams do not run the ball the majority of the time.

Yeah....terrible enough to be 25th last season in rushing defense without our best LB and defensive lineman.

Just shut the fuck up about things you know nothing about. Hater.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Our D line and line backers were largely undersized and had little experience last year due to some significant injuries. Things are changing this year. Read this article one of your fellow horn fans posted. It does a good job of explaining things.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....terrible enough to be 25th last season in rushing defense without our best LB and defensive lineman.

Just shut the fuck up about things you know nothing about. Hater.

:agree:

He's the quintessential ignorant hater of a rival team.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exes getting owned never gets old! :lol:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

He's the quintessential ignorant hater of a rival team.

Not a hater, just stating facts. Nobody really gives a shit if your rush D held KSU to 10 yards of rushing. Against good teams with a running attack, your rush defense sucked. That's a fact, not hating. Prove me wrong......

Last edited by a moderator:

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a hater, just stating facts. Nobody really gives a shit if your rush D held KU to 10 yards of rushing. Against good teams with a running attack, your rush defense sucked. That's a fact, not hating. Prove me wrong......

I already did Zippy. Run along now and get us some orange slices.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already did Zippy. Run along now and get us some orange slices.

You didn't prove shit. It's a fact OU's rush defense was a joke against teams who had good running games. Will it be better this year? Nobody knows, but what we do know is that OU's rush defense was weak as hell last year.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a hater, just stating facts. Nobody really gives a shit if your rush D held KSU to 10 yards of rushing. Against good teams with a running attack, your rush defense sucked. That's a fact, not hating. Prove me wrong......

Are you talking about the same Ksu team that threw 3 total passes the whole game against you and blew you out? Lmao

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 Oklahoma Sooners:
22nd in the nation in Total Defense
25th in the nation in Rushing Defense