• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA has restored Penn State's eligibility

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College football is not the NFL. Here you're dealing with student athletes, most of which will never go onto the next level. They also do not have a union.

:L it was a moral comparison of the decisions made today, and an admittedly subjective one.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray rice fired for punching a woman
Penn state walks after facilitating rampant child r*pe.

PS: almost all programs that get punished after the perps are long gone, and 100% of the time players and staff live under pubishments for which they had nothing to do with the allegations. Nothing new there. PSUs program failed to meet the standards of the ncaa and society, so its program gets punished. Pretty simple, really.
You're right. The Baltimore Ravens should be banned from the playoffs for 5 years and have to pay 50 Million in fines.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L it was a moral comparison of the decisions made today, and an admittedly subjective one.

I get it, it's moral outrage. But what more needs to be done here? Joe Pa's gone, Jerry S is in prison and that redhead QB will never find work again. Millions of dollars has been paid out. The debt was settled.. the NCAA had no business to deal out anything.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're argument is outing a pedo in their shower wouldn't be considered bad for the university and bad for their football program by their admins? You don't think it has been bad for them? Shit. That's naive.

How would it have been bad for them? Sandusky didn't work there anymore. Their recruiting classes were already complete failures. It would have looked bad that it happened, sure, but I don't see a practical impact on the team, no.

Has the current (far worse) scandal affected recruiting? Has it caused them to go 26-33 over a five year period? Seemingly No and Definitely No. Unless you think the taint of Paterno outing a coach would have had an impact 2-6 years down the line when recruiting got worse, it wouldn't have. And I don't think I'm naive to think that a recruit wouldn't stay away from Penn State because the coach reported sexual abuses five years earlier.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA just did this out of kindness? No appeals or anything?

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The place should be burnt to the ground, the wreckage bulldozed and the ground salted so nothing ever grows their again.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The place should be burnt to the ground, the wreckage bulldozed and the ground salted so nothing ever grows their again.

For what RJ? Your Cowboys are also model citizens.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as they are SURE that everyone that was involved in the cover up to help retain the image of that program has been fired and never to be returned then I'm ok with it.

Problem is IMHO we will never know everyone that was involved. Most Penn State people that I have been in contact with are solid people and class acts, let's hope those are the folks that dominate the scene now as everyone moves forward.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as they are SURE that everyone that was involved in the cover up to help retain the image of that program has been fired and never to be returned then I'm ok with it.

Problem is IMHO we will never know everyone that was involved. Most Penn State people that I have been in contact with are solid people and class acts, let's hope those are the folks that dominate the scene now as everyone moves forward.

Not just at Penn State but every school I hope they learn from this horrible incident. Lets move on but never forget. The people involved are gone. People are saying what about the others who were involved and didn't get caught. We will never know the full extent but know this its a completely new team from players to coaches to AD since Paterno was fired. They CLEANNNNNED house. So the punishment with the sanctions weren't affecting the guys involved but the current players and coaches who had nothing to do with the incident. People are also comparing the punishments with USC and OSU. They are way different. USC's violation with Bush was paying a player which was a recruiting violation = NCAA territory to get involved in. OSU current players were receiving money for autographs which was a violation for receiving money = NCAA territory to get involved in. Penn State coaches not fully reporting the abuse = State & FBI investigation. The NCAA only involvement and punishment should have been for Losing Institutional control. I believe PSU should have been punished but feel the NCAA rushed to punish Penn State to please the public. After the facts came out and the dust settled I think the NCAA realized their mistakes and these reductions are result of A) PSU's full cooperation of the guidelines set by the NCAA B)Gives the NCAA a way to save face. Overall this was a horrible incident for Penn State but like I previously stated I hope all colleges learn from this.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some really good, well read and educated comments is here. Some, not so much. Pleasantly surprised to see that many have actually done their homework on this and know that this was the right thing to do.

There is a lot of stuff still going on with this, it isn't even close to being over. Lots of positive things have happened in the wake of such a horrible thing but that won't ever totally ease the minds of us Penn Staters that (in my case) walked that campus at the same time that a monster did.

There is still much to learn about all of the events that happened through this entire thing (including NCAA, Louis Free, PSU BOT, former Admin currently on trial)... That will all play out in due process, which is what the NCAA did not wait for.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just at Penn State but every school I hope they learn from this horrible incident. Lets move on but never forget. The people involved are gone. People are saying what about the others who were involved and didn't get caught. We will never know the full extent but know this its a completely new team from players to coaches to AD since Paterno was fired. They CLEANNNNNED house. So the punishment with the sanctions weren't affecting the guys involved but the current players and coaches who had nothing to do with the incident. People are also comparing the punishments with USC and OSU. They are way different. USC's violation with Bush was paying a player which was a recruiting violation = NCAA territory to get involved in. OSU current players were receiving money for autographs which was a violation for receiving money = NCAA territory to get involved in. Penn State coaches not fully reporting the abuse = State & FBI investigation. The NCAA only involvement and punishment should have been for Losing Institutional control. I believe PSU should have been punished but feel the NCAA rushed to punish Penn State to please the public. After the facts came out and the dust settled I think the NCAA realized their mistakes and these reductions are result of A) PSU's full cooperation of the guidelines set by the NCAA B)Gives the NCAA a way to save face. Overall this was a horrible incident for Penn State but like I previously stated I hope all colleges learn from this.

USC's violation was paying Bush, which made it a recruiting violation???? You are wrong! That is not what happened.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC's violation was paying Bush, which made it a recruiting violation???? You are wrong! That is not what happened.

Then exactly happened? I apologize if I did get it wrong. I thought that's why USC got in trouble. What did they do for their punishment? It wasn't technically called recruiting violation but same as Penn State with Lack of institutional control.

The NCAA says Bush received lavish gifts from two fledgling sports marketers hoping to sign him. The men paid for everything from hotel stays and a rent-free home where Bush's family apparently lived to a limousine and a new suit when he accepted his Heisman in New York in December 2005.
The NCAA found that Bush, identified as a "former football student-athlete," was ineligible beginning at least by December 2004, a ruling that could open discussion on the revocation of the New Orleans Saints star's Heisman. Members of the Heisman Trust have said they might review Bush's award if he was ruled ineligible by the NCAA.
USC was penalized for a lack of institutional control in the ruling by the NCAA following its four-year investigation. The report cited numerous improper benefits for Bush and former basketball player O.J. Mayo, who spent just one year with the Trojans.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonham

We are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. My point is that the rule probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. If it weren't, then Tressell has nothing to lie about.
Now - on that point, I disagree. The possibility for abuse is so ridiculously high, that banning the practice of selling freebies needs to be kept in place. Otherwise, you will see boosters paying players $50,000 for used bubble gum or some other farce to pretend they aren't simply buying the players for the roster.

However, like I said, it IS a rule and Tressell did lie, so the NCAA had no choice but to punish. As for them avoiding LOIC, I don't know why they weren't hit with it (and I really have no desire to see it happen to them or anyone else), but that's the NCAA for you.
Lying in an NCAA investigation is generally a career ender. As well it should be. Tressell's arrogance sickens me, given all he has said/written about being so damned squeaky clean.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen I think its fine if the NCAA has decided to lift the sanctions but the fact remains that members of the Penn State football staff committed terrible atrocities ( doing the crime and ignoring the crime ). While these things arent NCAA violations they are still violations against decency so lets not celebrate the decision. I had no issue with the initial decision but I am glad that the current people dont have to pay for it anymore ( although in most instances it isnt the people who committed the violations paying for them anyway)

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what more needs to be done here?
People need to be reminded to keep their eyes open so this sort of abhorrent institutionalization of child abuse is not allowed to take root ever again. That always needs to be done irrespective of the timeline of punishments/penalties.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People need to be reminded to keep their eyes open so this sort of abhorrent institutionalization of child abuse is not allowed to take root ever again. That always needs to be done irrespective of the timeline of punishments/penalties.

It's not the NCAA's job to be the US judicial system and in this case it was trying to be.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the NCAA's job to be the US judicial system and in this case it was trying to be.
I don't think anyone was put in jail by the NCAA. However, the NCAA does maintains a set of rules and standards that institutions must meet into order to be members and have their athletic contests sanctioned.

If there was systematic child abuse going on is say - the psyche department - at any University, you can bet the accrediting institution of that school would be on them like white on rice.