• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA has restored Penn State's eligibility

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh... USC violated NCAA rules. What Penn State did was despicable but I'm not even entirely sure they should have been punished at all. The individuals involved, of course. But the football program itself, I'm not so sure...

Common sense says they tried to hide it so it won't mess with the football program, but whatever. The NCAA also didn't have any evidence that USC knew about Bush and the wannabe agent, but that didnt stop them from giving a 2 year ban and 30 lost scholarships.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Queue up the justifiably pissed off USC fans!

I doubt you'll see many. We've already moved on. We're bowl eligible and this is the last season of reduced schollies. Time to look forward.

Also, as others have pointed out, what happened at USC was a direct violation of NCAA rules. We can debate whether or not the punishment was too harsh, or if USC knew, but not whether or not it was an NCAA violation.

What happened at Penn St. was a legal issue that had nothing to do with the NCAA outside of much of it happening on a college campus.

Btw, it's about damn time the NCAA restored PSU's eligibility. They should lift any remaining sanctions as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happened at Penn St. was a legal issue that had nothing to do with the NCAA outside of much of it happening on a college campus.

Werent the key words lack of institutional control used in both instances?

They allowed criminals to perpetrate heinous crimes against children.

...for decades.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hide yo kids
Hide yo kids

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is going to be full of tears before it ends.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, THEY didn't. The criminals did.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, THEY didn't. The criminals did.

....and alleged actions by some university officials to cover up the incidents or to enable more.

When something like this goes on for so long. People know.

Not all of the rats were captured by the traps.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

....and alleged actions by some university officials to cover up the incidents or to enable more.

So it's now the NCAA's job to come in and make sure everyone gets their just due?? Unless of course suspending the QB accused of taking a quarter of a mil will ruin the NC game.. or Johnny foosball calls you out for making money off the players. Face it, the NCAA is one slimy ass organization that needs to go.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the NCAA is pretty slimy. Especially in light of recent events...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, but in my opinion, LOIC was misapplied in PSU's case. Those who were responsible for what happened at PSU have lost their jobs and/or are in jail or awaiting trial.

The reason that the NCAA punishes innocents after the fact is that an NCAA violation is not a legal issue and often they don't find out or complete the investigation until after the guilty parties are gone. What Reggie Bush and his family did wasn't against the law, it was against NCAA rules. That's why the NCAA was involved.

If Bush and his family had been involved in something that's against the law, the NCAA would have left it to USC and the courts to deal with and not punished innocent players and coaches.

At PSU, the people responsible are gone and being dealt with by the legal system. There was no reason to punish innocent players and coaches.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't justify a team being sanctioned for tats or free food and PSU not face a harsher punishment considering 1 coach witnessed an excoach raping a kid in the school's showers and essentially the university did little to nothing about it.

Shameful.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only think of 2-3 schools the NCAA would do this for. The list of schools they wouldn't do this for is a hell of a lot longer. It's not a question of whether or not the initial penalty was fair; it's a matter of some schools are the NCAA's darlings and there are some schools who would still be sitting in the outhouse riding out the sanctions.
Yeah, they really love us.:L

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Loose if any connection at all to the football program. Their football program didn't deserve the punishment it got.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with it. At this point the school is so far removed from it. Must be exciting for the kids on the team.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't justify a team being sanctioned for tats or free food and PSU not face a harsher punishment considering 1 coach witnessed an excoach raping a kid in the school's showers and essentially the university did little to nothing about it.

Shameful.

That's why nothing should have happened at all... considering that the NCAA will turn a blind eye to a situation that hurts their cash flow at that moment.

Besides, the second it became a criminal investigation, the NCAA should have stepped out of the way and let the pros handle it.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why nothing should have happened at all... considering that the NCAA will turn a blind eye to a situation that hurts their cash flow at that moment.

Besides, the second it became a criminal investigation, the NCAA should have stepped out of the way and let the pros handle it.

Exactly.

My question is: What exactly did the NCAA accomplish by getting involved in the PSU situation outside of punishing innocent players and coaches?