• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCAA has restored Penn State's eligibility

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why nothing should have happened at all... considering that the NCAA will turn a blind eye to a situation that hurts their cash flow at that moment.

Besides, the second it became a criminal investigation, the NCAA should have stepped out of the way and let the pros handle it.

Let's forget about the moral aspect for a moment, you don't think PSU benefited competitively and financially in the years between the shower instance and this ahole being arrested by not being more proactive? How many of the kids that went there wouldn't have if PSU would have gone public at the time?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray rice fired for punching a woman
Penn state walks after facilitating rampant child r*pe.

PS: almost all programs that get punished after the perps are long gone, and 100% of the time players and staff live under pubishments for which they had nothing to do with the allegations. Nothing new there. PSUs program failed to meet the standards of the ncaa and society, so its program gets punished. Pretty simple, really.

Oh please, I want to hear your defense for Nevin Shapiro. He ROBBED 100s of people of their life savings to lavish it on illegal activities at Miami.

When you have evidence, such as pictures of Shalala taking checks, and the naming of a building after him, that means there is a LOT of dirt from Nevin Shapiro, and Miami walks.

I think lawyers should be clawing back money from Miami.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's forget about the moral aspect for a moment, you don't think PSU benefited competitively and financially in the years between the shower instance and this ahole being arrested by not being more proactive? How many of the kids that went there wouldn't have if PSU would have gone public at the time?

That makes no sense.. what he did was a recruiting advantage. This incident goes beyond the NCAA's realm of jurisdiction. People went to prison and lost jobs over this... multi-million dollar lawsuits were filed. This was a criminal activity plain and simple.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes no sense.. what he did was a recruiting advantage. This incident goes beyond the NCAA's realm of jurisdiction. People went to prison and lost jobs over this... multi-million dollar lawsuits were filed. This was a criminal activity plain and simple.

Yes, covering up or not investigating allegations of child sexual abuse within the team's facilities allowed PSU to get more recruits and sell more tickets and merchadise. The UNIVERSITY directly benefited from their inaction and should be punished for it.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

My question is: What exactly did the NCAA accomplish by getting involved in the PSU situation outside of punishing innocent players and coaches?

They accomplished nothing except for looking stupid yet again. But then again, everything they do is worthless and ignorant.

In USC's case, Bush and Carroll leave for the NFL and USC still gets sanctions?!?! The people who were responsible were gone! Same thing with PSU.

OSU has a few players sell their OWN stuff for a few tats and they get suspended for a bowl game. Yet the NCAA can sit there an make millions selling the names of these players.

I'm glad Johnny foosball had the balls to call them out and make them look like the a-holes they really are.

dennis580

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ray rice fired for punching a woman
Penn state walks after facilitating rampant child r*pe.

PS: almost all programs that get punished after the perps are long gone, and 100% of the time players and staff live under pubishments for which they had nothing to do with the allegations. Nothing new there. PSUs program failed to meet the standards of the ncaa and society, so its program gets punished. Pretty simple, really.

Penn St has been punished long enough. Its time to move on.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, covering up or not investigating allegations of child sexual abuse within the team's facilities allowed PSU to get more recruits and sell more tickets and merchadise. The UNIVERSITY directly benefited from their inaction and should be punished for it.

That's an assumption on your part and simply not provable. It seems likely that if PSU had handled this properly as soon as they found out about it, they would have been praised for doing the right thing and protecting kids.

We don't know what the fallout, if any, would have been had they handled it the way they should have. Bottom line though, the people who committed the crimes are being punished or about to go to trial. No reason to punish innocent players.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A recruiting advantage?!?! "Come to our school where we do not sodomize anyone."

What you're saying doesn't make any sense.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me this is the same argument corporations use when they get caught doing something and claim no responsibility because their management is different now. Which might be true, but the organization as a whole still benefited from the illegal or immoral acts and thus they get punished too even if the individuals involved are gone. How else do you encourage self policing and uphold any standard?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They accomplished nothing except for looking stupid yet again. But then again, everything they do is worthless and ignorant.

In USC's case, Bush and Carroll leave for the NFL and USC still gets sanctions?!?! The people who were responsible were gone! Same thing with PSU.

OSU has a few players sell their OWN stuff for a few tats and they get suspended for a bowl game. Yet the NCAA can sit there an make millions selling the names of these players.

I'm glad Johnny foosball had the balls to call them out and make them look like the a-holes they really are.

My take on the USC situation is that punishment was appropriate, but the level of punishment was inappropriate. I'm not a fan of seeing innocent players punished, but until we come up with a way to punish former players and coaches after they're gone, it is what it is. Otherwise, the message that gets sent is "it's okay as long as you don't get caught while your there".

In the tOSU situation, part of the problem that tOSU had was that Tressel knew and lied to the NCAA. I agree 100% that kids selling their own property for money or trading it for tats or whatever, shouldn't be against the rules. However, until the rule is changed, the NCAA has to punish.

This is why I think there needs to be an overhaul of the rules and the way they are enforced and punished.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A recruiting advantage?!?! "Come to our school where we do not sodomize anyone."

What you're saying doesn't make any sense.

So you don't think outing a coach for ******ing a kid in your showers would effect the revenue or popularity of your team? You don't think the image of the university was protected in the short term by silence and inaction? Then why didn't they self report what one of their coaches witnessed happening? Why didnt red say anything more? Did it have to do with money and image?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me this is the same argument corporations use when they get caught doing something and claim no responsibility because their management is different now. Which might be true, but the organization as a whole still benefited from the illegal or immoral acts and thus they get punished too even if the individuals involved are gone. How else do you encourage self policing and uphold any standard?

I don't know, seems like the people who committed the crimes no longer being there and being in jail or about to stand trial seems like a pretty good way though.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the tOSU situation, part of the problem that tOSU had was that Tressel knew and lied to the NCAA. I agree 100% that kids selling their own property for money or trading it for tats or whatever, shouldn't be against the rules. However, until the rule is changed, the NCAA has to punish.
2 points. One - the NCAA "hammer" came down on Ohio state because of Jim Tressel - not because of the five players getting tats and selling shirts. Two - I will never understand how Ohio State avoided "Lack of Institutional Control." When head coach lies by affidavit, and the school clearly does a slip-shod investigation, failing to uncover salient evidence such as emails on the coach's computer, it seems to me that there is a clear lack of institutional control. Ohio State skated without a doubt.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the ncaa magic 8 ball and forrest gumps box of chocolates

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't thinking outing a coach for ******ing a kid in your showers would effect the revenue or popularity of your team? You don't think the image of the university was protected in the short term by silence and inaction? Then why didn't they self report what one of their coaches witnessed happening? Why didnt red say anything more? Did it have to do with money and image?

You don't think Penn St. would have been praised for doing the right thing and protecting kids? Perhaps Penn St. would have become more popular and gotten benefits from doing the right thing?

Don't they have a winning record since this happened? Seems like they are still getting pretty good players, they just haven't been able to get as many because of the schollie reductions.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should fire the kids on the team up. Good for them. Hope LSU plays them in the Capital One bowl and skull fucks them.... :happy:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 points. One - the NCAA "hammer" came down on Ohio state because of Jim Tressel - not because of the five players getting tats and selling shirts. Two - I will never understand how Ohio State avoided "Lack of Institutional Control." When head coach lies by affidavit, and the school clearly does a slip-shod investigation, failing to uncover salient evidence such as emails on the coach's computer, it seems to me that there is a clear lack of institutional control. Ohio State skated without a doubt.

I agree. My point is that the rule probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. If it weren't, then Tressell has nothing to lie about.

However, like I said, it IS a rule and Tressell did lie, so the NCAA had no choice but to punish. As for them avoiding LOIC, I don't know why they weren't hit with it (and I really have no desire to see it happen to them or anyone else), but that's the NCAA for you.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, seems like the people who committed the crimes no longer being there and being in jail or about to stand trial seems like a pretty good way though.

That never mattered to the ncaa before, why now?

If they start being this way for the future, then i have no problem with it.