• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Could we see regulation of NIL?

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this was discussed when NIL first became reality that it would take federal legislation to reign in the wild west it quickly became.
Another issue is going to be players suing for revenue sharing from the TV money which the NCAA has already said if they lost that battle it could be the financial end of them

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't stop the growth of the NIL until all the schools come together and agree. That's why I see the NCAA disappearing soon, and the top 40-60 programs just create their own league and governing body. I mean, Ohio State's president spoke about how recruits are commanding $5k just to make an official visit to their campuses. There is no regulating body, so it's just going to continue to climb. Once they all agree to a ceiling and some rules, then things will begin to level out.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this was discussed when NIL first became reality that it would take federal legislation to reign in the wild west it quickly became.
Another issue is going to be players suing for revenue sharing from the TV money which the NCAA has already said if they lost that battle it could be the financial end of them
It's gone overboard, it needs to be reined in, and they need to cut back on the transfer portal. limit it more.

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dynasties are going to be a thing of the past.
We'll see a lotta coach's having a great year by catching lightning in a bottle (Jiumbo Fischer, Guz Mahlzahn,) then riding off into the sunset....possibly like Washington's coach with Penix this year.
I believe there will be massive coach's salaries that teams will have to eat on a more regular basis .....or...........universities will stop the insane financial escalation of their contracts.

Either way, footabll as I once knew it, being 65 years old, is part of the gone network......and I don't like it one bit.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dynasties are going to be a thing of the past.
We'll see a lotta coach's having a great year by catching lightning in a bottle (Jiumbo Fischer, Guz Mahlzahn,) then riding off into the sunset....possibly like Washington's coach with Penix this year.
I believe there will be massive coach's salaries that teams will have to eat on a more regular basis .....or...........universities will stop the insane financial escalation of their contracts.

Either way, footabll as I once knew it, being 65 years old, is part of the gone network......and I don't like it one bit.

I think I'm on the opposite side. The old way of doing things from the 80's and much of the 90's wasn't working either. The two highest ranked teams in 1997 didn't even play each other in a bowl game, so they split the national title. Same with 1990.

They've advanced things, and although I think a 12 team playoff takes away from the importance of regular season games, I like it better than a system that either didn't match up the two top teams at the end of the season, or only chose two teams (BCS). I think my sweet spot would be 6-8 teams, if I had my way.

THUNDER

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm on the opposite side. The old way of doing things from the 80's and much of the 90's wasn't working either. The two highest ranked teams in 1997 didn't even play each other in a bowl game, so they split the national title. Same with 1990.

They've advanced things, and although I think a 12 team playoff takes away from the importance of regular season games, I like it better than a system that either didn't match up the two top teams at the end of the season, or only chose two teams (BCS). I think my sweet spot would be 6-8 teams, if I had my way.
I might not have been clear.
The NIL is going to make coach's that ordinarily would not win a championship, have a shot at it, becuase of the transfer portal. No way Washington gets in without Penix.
Therefore the coach gets an inflated contract based on 1 or 2 players that dramatically change his teams outlook.
Kalen Deboer is prolly gonna get a huge contract as a result of this, and then fade away again, imho.

But I guess it's like Brad Pitt said in Moneyball...." adapt or die."

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he ncaa fails regulating it,what,s to stop the asshole politicians from getting invovled?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he ncaa fails regulating it,what,s to stop the asshole politicians from getting invovled?

I don't think the NCAA can regulate it. They tried to stop it and got embarrassed in court. I don't think they are going to go through that mess again.

The NCAA is neutered right now, and the only solution is probably to ditch them in football and start up a new governing body. That probably means they will have to create a new college football division and limit it to 50 something teams.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the NCAA can regulate it. They tried to stop it and got embarrassed in court. I don't think they are going to go through that mess again.

The NCAA is neutered right now, and that only solution is to ditch them in football and start up a new governing body. That probably means they will have to create a new college football division and limit it to 50 something teams.
the government with all it,s infinite wisdom will get involved.count on it.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the government with all it,s infinite wisdom will get involved.count on it.

I'm sure it will, but it won't be the NCAA that fixes the problem. They will have to create an NFL style system when it comes to compensation. It will be something players and teams will all agree to. If it is transparent, then the government can easily get their cut.

Justafan71

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gone overboard, it needs to be reined in, and they need to cut back on the transfer portal. limit it more.
I would give everybody one “freebie” as far as transferring. There are cases where a player just doesn’t end up enjoying being that far from home, maybe a coaching change leads to a new offense/defense that doesn’t fit your skill set, whatever the reason. One time without penalty, but after that you sit a year if you transfer again. It’s ridiculous seeing players at a 3rd or 4th school in 4 years.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give everybody one “freebie” as far as transferring. There are cases where a player just doesn’t end up enjoying being that far from home, maybe a coaching change leads to a new offense/defense that doesn’t fit your skill set, whatever the reason. One time without penalty, but after that you sit a year if you transfer again. It’s ridiculous seeing players at a 3rd or 4th school in 4 years.
At the bare minimum you have have your degree before you can transfer. At least that would stop the guys from changing schools for a year or two, and then then come your Jr/Sr years, and maybe a redshirt year, to move around for the best system

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA can't regulate it since it became a law once they fought it and lost in the Supreme Court. What rule are they going to make that supercedes a law? Hence why the only way to regulate it is at the legislative level

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the bare minimum you have have your degree before you can transfer. At least that would stop the guys from changing schools for a year or two, and then then come your Jr/Sr years, and maybe a redshirt year, to move around for the best system
Sure - If we require coaches stay as long as every kid they recruited is still in the system.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA can't regulate it since it became a law once they fought it and lost in the Supreme Court. What rule are they going to make that supercedes a law? Hence why the only way to regulate it is at the legislative level
the government just needs to stay the hell out of it regardless.

Locke888

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't stop the growth of the NIL until all the schools come together and agree. That's why I see the NCAA disappearing soon, and the top 40-60 programs just create their own league and governing body. I mean, Ohio State's president spoke about how recruits are commanding $5k just to make an official visit to their campuses. There is no regulating body, so it's just going to continue to climb. Once they all agree to a ceiling and some rules, then things will begin to level out.
Where does this $5000 come from? The school or boosters?

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im in favor of it only because my own school isnt benefiting. schools with multiple sources of donor support texas a&m, miami, texas, oregon seem to be thriving with it. USC is publicly saying they cant and wont be able to pay NIL to high school recruits.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where does this $5000 come from? The school or boosters?
He stated that the requests are made to the school when the athlete is being recruited. If I recall correctly, he was talking to government officials about it in hopes that they would start to regulate the exchange of this money. He wanted a federal regulation so things are uniform, instead of state regulations, that could vary the amount of money from state to state. Again, if I recall correctly, he seemed to have no confidence that the NCAA could handle it on their end.

I honestly think this is why that NCAA president recently proposed creating a new division of football that would allow for high revenue football programs to start directly paying players. I imagine they know that football is heading this way, and would like to still be the governing body of it. I also imagine that these high revenue programs would rather govern themselves than pay to give the authority to the NCAA to do it.