• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just have to be here, no one criticizes the current OU coach for much, it just doesn’t happen. People have kept all that stuff close to the vest going all the way back to Switzer, it’s the price you pay for access.

Fair enough. Who would you like to see in Norman next?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well damn. Figured with a big name coaching hire this would improve. After all N.D. is N.D., a national brand. Alotta kids wanna play there.
Don’t get me wrong. They have many advantages. If you have a serious student who wants a great degree while also preparing for the NFL it’s Stanford and ND for those kids. But those kids are few and far between. These kids go to college to develop a career in football. And many universities give these kids a fine education to boot. But they also provide an easy way out in curriculum that keeps them eligible. Go check Michigan’s roster and see how many “General Studies” majors they have. That major leads nowhere and you can’t market it in any field outside of maybe sales. ND won’t do that. So they can grab recruiting classes ranked 10-15 and every so often when they have success or a bunch of scholarships in a cycle they can push to 5-6. But they can’t get those back to back to back top 5 classes Alabama Georgia and Ohio St get.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t get me wrong. They have many advantages. If you have a serious student who wants a great degree while also preparing for the NFL it’s Stanford and ND for those kids. But those kids are few and far between. These kids go to college to develop a career in football. And many universities give these kids a fine education to boot. But they also provide an easy way out in curriculum that keeps them eligible. Go check Michigan’s roster and see how many “General Studies” majors they have. That major leads nowhere and you can’t market it in any field outside of maybe sales. ND won’t do that. So they can grab recruiting classes ranked 10-15 and every so often when they have success or a bunch of scholarships in a cycle they can push to 5-6. But they can’t get those back to back to back top 5 classes Alabama Georgia and Ohio St get.

Okay didn't know all that stuff. Very interesting. Do you think N.D. would ever rethink that policy? My guess is they wouldn't.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. Who would you like to see in Norman next?

Of the nanes I have heard Brent Venables, but I am betting there are peoppe we have not heard.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the nanes I have heard Brent Venables, but I am betting there are peoppe we have not heard.

Well hope your team finds whoever they're looking for. I'm sure they will.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well hope your team finds whoever they're looking for. I'm sure they will.

We typically don’t hire previous head coaches, but we haven’t had to. This time may be different.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay didn't know all that stuff. Very interesting. Do you think N.D. would ever rethink that policy? My guess is they wouldn't.
I doubt it. Their undergrad degree is their pride and joy. They are often ranked in the top 25 undergrad universities in the country. That is actually a product of their football program though. It used to be a dime a dozen private Catholic commuter school but Irish football changed all that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well damn. Figured with a big name coaching hire this would improve. After all N.D. is N.D., a national brand. Alotta kids wanna play there.

A lot of kids want to play there...but because they don't give athletes a break on entrance requirements (I believe that even Stanford allows that) a lot of kids can't play there.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And many universities give these kids a fine education to boot. But they also provide an easy way out in curriculum that keeps them eligible.

That happens at all college levels too. I only made it to the junior college level and I remember being shocked when I met with my position coach to go over my class schedule. I was told to bring my list of classes that I wanted to enroll in.

When I got there, I handed over my list and was handed a list of "suggested" classes. I ended up getting 1 of the classes that I wanted which was 1 more than most players got. lol

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of kids want to play there...but because they don't give athletes a break on entrance requirements (I believe that even Stanford allows that) a lot of kids can't play there.
ND can get most anyone in. The issue is once they’re there. No place to hide.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly trying to take everyone with him. Fuck him

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am following.

That is not contender quality pitching staff unless you also have elite hitting lineup, which the Guardians are more than 3-4 solid free agents away from.

What that is is 1 ace and 3-4 solid MLB SPs. Nothing special as it relates to the pitching staff.

This isn’t close to what Cleveland had 3 years ago. Civale and McKenzie have some potential, but they aren’t there yet.
They have an ace and young guys who seem to be getting better. Quantril was close to elite last year. Might not be next season but seems to be at worse a very solid 2-3...like Civale. Is it what they had when Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Clevinger were here and at peak? Nope. But we were a .500 team with these guys.

And here's the kicker.....my comment implied what we could do IF the team spent league average. They are $70 mil (or more) under league average. If they feel like they need a better pitcher instead of a position player guess what they could do?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Indians? are you kidding? Pitching already good enough to contend and it they'd just spend league avg. could add at least 3-4 stud hitters/fielders through FA or trade and still have money to spend to get to lge. avg.

This was your exact quote man.

“Pitching already good enough to contend”.

No, it isn’t.

And Quantril had a really good year, but he is not near elite. He doesn’t miss that many bats and his ERA indicators are all around 4, implying that he probably got lucky to post the ERA he did last season.

Maybe he is one of those guys who can beat the peripherals every year, but heck no he isn’t “near elite”.

Does look like a solid starter though, I will give you that.