• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows if that amount is true. USC is a private school and it doesn’t have to be made public. I would be surprised if that number is correct.

I'd be surprised if it's very far off. As a private school, when it comes to paying coaches, USC is really only constrained by how much boosters are willing to kick in. A lot of boosters are sick of what they have been watching since Carroll left and were likely willing to pay that kind of money (or close to it) to get the program back to standard.

You also have to remember, USC got burned when they hired Kliff Kingsbury and then lost him to the NFL before he even met with the team. My guess is that part of the reason he left would have been more money.

Paying that kind of money should help prevent that from happening again. Of course, the flip side of that is that is that if he doesn't work out, they're looking at a huge buyout.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense bro, but I think that Miami program is a black hole and needs to catch lightning in a bottle to turn the tide. Too much failure and a lack of commitment to success from administration. There’s a ton of competition for Florida recruits now. The fence they locked up around south Florida in the 80s 90s and even up to Butch Davis just doesn’t exist anymore.
The highlighted is the problem. There's a commitment now, but there's also a power struggle. Recruits have started leaving because the administration has become complacent. You get a competent AD with a competent coach, Miami can be better. Will they ever get to the level that Bama is, highly unlikely. But the BOT at Miami is the problem. Guys still want to maintain power and have cronyism in place. Until that's absolved, you're right, Miami is destined for continued mediocrity. In terms of money, it's not a problem at Miami.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meyer begot Harbaugh and a general uptick for the B10. Tressel was a great coach but had too many national defeats in big spots toward the end of his tenure and that started to fuel that anti-B10 narrative if you remember correctly.
The anti B10 was a good 3-4 years before Tress left because of the 2 big BCS title losses. Much was unfounded as in those years the BIG played the SEC to a near standstill in the other bowl games....even though the SEC team was often a home team for the games.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense but “those fans” who still see ND as the leather helmets kings and win one for the Gipper blah blah are an obstacle to ND success. Those ND fans still demand that ND wins national titles while also posting 100% graduation rates. They don’t understand that times have changed.

The people I mentioned aren't "those fans". They both graduated from ND. I never said the people I mentioned have any type of unrealistic expectations for the team. But I agree there are some N.D. fans out there that stubbornly live in the past.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about widely known, at least not prior to yesterdays announcement, but it has come out that he was against the move to the SEC and that if not for that move...he likely stays at Oklahoma (although, $15 million would still be tough to turn down).

There could be some ego in this too. He was the top dog coach in the Big 12 and he'll likely be the top dog coach in the PAC-12. In the SEC he would be, at best, #2 behind Saban and maybe #3 behind Saban and Smart. Being the top dog coach gets you top dog recruits.
Being in a better conference could also help recruiting and how long will Saban be the coach?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until Notre Dame locks into a conference and loses the preferential treatment they receive from media, I'll continue to hate lol.
Totally get it. A lot of people hate capitalism in sports. They feel more comfortable in a world where Northwestern and Vanderbilt can ride coattails and receive financial windfalls based on things programs like Michigan Ohio St Alabama and Texas have done to cultivate their brand over a hundred plus years. They hate Notre Dame because ND doesn’t need that model in order to stay viable.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet to be determined…can Riley recruit the OL and defense he needs to win big? To this point he hasn’t. Maybe he has better luck on that recruiting from USC.

This is my concern as well.

Helton did a really nice job of recruiting the "skill positions" and despite how it has looked, the talent to at least be a solid defense is there.

The problems have been recruiting on the o-line and coaching on defense. I will give our current o-line coach some credit. He has developed the o-line into a decent unit. The o-line isn't a strength by any stretch, but for the last several games, they haven't been the glaring weakness they were earlier in the year.

Hopefully, whoever the DC is (I think Riley is bringing his with him) can develop them. With the weapons available on offense, just a solid defense should have USC in the cfp hunt most years.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my concern as well.

Helton did a really nice job of recruiting the "skill positions" and despite how it has looked, the talent to at least be a solid defense is there.

The problems have been recruiting on the o-line and coaching on defense. I will give our current o-line coach some credit. He has developed the o-line into a decent unit. The o-line isn't a strength by any stretch, but for the last several games, they haven't been the glaring weakness they were earlier in the year.

Hopefully, whoever the DC is (I think Riley is bringing his with him) can develop them. With the weapons available on offense, just a solid defense should have USC in the cfp hunt most years.
USC should have demanded anyone BUT Riley’s current defensive staff. That whole program is broken on that side of the ball. They don’t tackle well. They don’t play with leverage. They don’t keep gap integrity. They don’t compete on the edges. They don’t defeat blocks. OU fails with each and every corner stone of defensive football. USC is better off if no one from Riley’s defensive staff at OU comes with him. They’re bringing all their failure and bad habits with them.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being in a better conference could also help recruiting and how long will Saban be the coach?

True, but in the SEC, you're still recruiting against Saban. So, even if your overall recruiting gets better, it's still not going to be better than Saban (and maybe Smart), so you're really no better off despite having improved your roster.

As for how long he'll coach...it's starting to like the answer is forever.

Dude doesn't even look like he's aging anymore. lol

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but in the SEC, you're still recruiting against Saban. So, even if your overall recruiting gets better, it's still not going to be better than Saban (and maybe Smart), so you're really no better off despite having improved your roster.

Not sure anyone else has seen or read Foundations. It’s a series of vignettes from Isaac Asimov recently made popular again with an Apple Plus series (pretty good I will add). I think Saban is Cleon. He has found a way to clone himself so that he experiences immortality.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC should have demanded anyone BUT Riley’s current defensive staff. That whole program is broken on that side of the ball. They don’t tackle well. They don’t play with leverage. They don’t keep gap integrity. They don’t compete on the edges. They don’t defeat blocks. OU fails with each and every corner stone of defensive football. USC is better off if no one from Riley’s defensive staff at OU comes with him. They’re bringing all their failure and bad habits with them.

Yeah, I don't know if the issue there is coaching or talent. With USC, it's definitely coaching more than talent. If OU's issue is talent, then hopefully, the DC will be an improvement. If it's coaching, then Riley will need to willing to move off of his DC and hire a new one. I'm hoping he retains Donte Williams...on the defensive side of the ball, he's the only coach worth keeping (plus, he's recognized as the top recruiter in the PAC).

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saban's not going anywhere for a long long time. He has an army of analysts alone to handle recruiting, and Saban has his pick of which assistants he gets to work with. UGA is more than willing to outspend other programs and Kirby looks like he may break the drought this year with how his team looks. Again, OU going to the SEC made absolutely no sense other than money. And ask Nebraska how that move to the Big 10 worked out for them.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban's not going anywhere for a long long time. He has an army of analysts alone to handle recruiting, and Saban has his pick of which assistants he gets to work with. UGA is more than willing to outspend other programs and Kirby looks like he may break the drought this year with how his team looks. Again, OU going to the SEC made absolutely no sense other than money. And ask Nebraska how that move to the Big 10 worked out for them.
Additionally, Alabama is maybe the most committed university in the nation to football success. Few do it better with a stronger commitment.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns RT Jack Conklin out for rest of season with torn tendon in knee.

Well dammit.

If it wasn't for bad luck the Browns would have no luck it all this season.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns RT Jack Conklin out for rest of season with torn tendon in knee.

Well dammit.

If it wasn't for bad luck the Browns would have no luck it all this season.
That looked like friendly fire last night. I think his teammate trying to finish Conklin’s block may have been the force that caused the injury.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Haha...seems like it but my guess is 3-5 years tops.

Not sure you are recruiting against the SEC any more in the SEC than not. If anything, being in SEC should help his recruiting.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That looked like friendly fire last night. I think his teammate trying to finish Conklin’s block may have been the force that caused the injury.
didn't see the injury as it happened, but man that looked weird when he stumbled coming out.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was nothing dirty that happened. But it was scary to see his leg give out on him as he was walking to the sideline.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was nothing dirty that happened. But it was scary to see his leg give out on him as he was walking to the sideline.
That was strange...at first almost looked like he was messing around.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was strange...at first almost looked like he was messing around.

Yeah can't say I've seen that before. Just hope he can be 100% for next season.