• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gen·er·al /ˈjen(ə)rəl/ considering or including the main features or elements of something, and disregarding exceptions; overall.
OK......and your comparison is foolish whether in general or not.

Baker came into the league and played well right away and in year 2.....started every season he has been in the league. Geno came into the league and had no success until much later in his career and was a backup more often than not.

Look up the word, homer, so you don't make that mistake again, too.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that defensive players are running out of places they can hit someone.

I'm all for making the game as safe as possible, but defensive players are being put in impossible situations. These rules seem to be made by people who have never played. A smaller player trying to tackle a bigger player has to go low. Otherwise, he's just going to get trucked.

As @fightinfunbags posted, football is a violent sport and you can get hurt playing it. Anyone who chooses to play knows this and accepts that risk.

You simply can't legislate all of the violence out of the sport.

@tlance mentioned that QB's shouldn't get special protection. One of the reasons that there some different rules atround the QB is because he is the player who is most often in a defenseless position (the other is the money they make lol). It is impossible for a QB who is throwing a pass to protect himself and in an era where he may be passing 40+ times per game, you have to provide some extra protection.

Ok…

But there are many instances where players are “defenseless”.

Being engaged in a block. QB planting to throw downfield. WR looking back to catch a pass.

Some of these are protected, some are not.

They should all be protected equally.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok…

But there are many instances where players are “defenseless”.

Being engaged in a block. QB planting to throw downfield. WR looking back to catch a pass.

Some of these are protected, some are not.

They should all be protected equally.

Have you played? I only ask because your last sentence says no.

It is impossible to "equally protect" every player from every defenseless situation. The positions and what's required to play their positions are too different. Outside of a QB trying to throw a pass, there are few truly defenseless situations for other players.

Maybe a WR who's stretched out trying to make a catch, a player who's being blocked and another player comes in low, a punter in the act of punting, especially when his kicking leg is extended, "crackback" blocks or a guy getting blindsided...there are rules against virtually all of that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you played? I only ask because your last sentence says no.

It is impossible to "equally protect" every player from every defenseless situation. The positions and what's required to play their positions are too different. Outside of a QB trying to throw a pass, there are few truly defenseless situations for other players.

Maybe a WR who's stretched out trying to make a catch, a player who's being blocked and another player comes in low, a punter in the act of punting, especially when his kicking leg is extended, "crackback" blocks or a guy getting blindsided...there are rules against virtually all of that.

Equally might be the wrong word.

They should all be protected.

Receivers are the only ones on that list not protected from a low hit.

Time to change that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Equally might be the wrong word.

They should all be protected.

Receivers are the only ones on that list not protected from a low hit.

Time to change that.

That's not true. Running backs aren't protected from the low hit and neither is a QB who is running and doesn't slide.

Also, blindside and crackbacks aren't typically low hits. A defensive player can be hit low as long as he's not already engaged with another player.

You can't remove the low hit and the high hit because it leaves the defense without really anyplace to hit a player to tackle him. The guy with the ball isn't always running straight up and down. When he sees a defender coming at him, he will get low and lead with his helmet or shoulder...how is the defender supposed to not hit him low?

Football is as much a game of leverage as it is anything else and the saying is low man wins.

Think about a running back like Marshawn Lynch...how the hell is a defensive player supposed to tackle a guy like that if he can't go low?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
American nightmare on Netflix

really good doc

crazy ass story

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not true. Running backs aren't protected from the low hit and neither is a QB who is running and doesn't slide.

Also, blindside and crackbacks aren't typically low hits. A defensive player can be hit low as long as he's not already engaged with another player.

You can't remove the low hit and the high hit because it leaves the defense without really anyplace to hit a player to tackle him. The guy with the ball isn't always running straight up and down. When he sees a defender coming at him, he will get low and lead with his helmet or shoulder...how is the defender supposed to not hit him low?

Football is as much a game of leverage as it is anything else and the saying is low man wins.

Think about a running back like Marshawn Lynch...how the hell is a defensive player supposed to tackle a guy like that if he can't go low?

Running backs aren’t defenseless when they are carrying the ball. They have the opportunity to protect themselves because they can see the defenders coming.

When you have to look the opposite direction to catch the ball, it is a completely different situation. Can’t see what is about to hit you.

I don’t think there is the same need to protect ball carriers.

So go ahead and go low on Marshawn and Derek Henry.

Just not when they are about to receive the ball.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running backs aren’t defenseless when they are carrying the ball. They have the opportunity to protect themselves because they can see the defenders coming.

They absolutely can be defenseless, especially if they are trying to stretch the ball out at the end of a run or are being held up by a defensive player with other defenders coming in from all angles to get them to the ground. A receiver who has caught a pass and is running with the ball (as Higbee was) are also not defenseless.

When you have to look the opposite direction to catch the ball, it is a completely different situation. Can’t see what is about to hit you.

And in those cases a defensive player still isn't allowed the high hit and in most cases will hit the receiver around the middle or in his chest because they are also trying to prevent the catch.

I don’t think there is the same need to protect ball carriers.

So go ahead and go low on Marshawn and Derek Henry.

I agree with this.

Just not when they are about to receive the ball.

As I stated above, a player receiving the ball typically isn't going to take a low hit because the defender is taught to hit chest high to separate him from the ball.

Legislatively speaking, the game is about as safe as it can be without switching to flag football. They've even legislated things out like the horse collar tackle even though there doesn't appear to be anything that shows that horse collar tackles increase injury risk (at least not that I could find).

They've also all but eliminated kickoff returns even though special teams, especially kickoff and kickoff return teams, are how many players have made names for themselves and been able to stay in the league and move to other positions.

To make the game safer, they would need to make equipment changes, although I can't even think about what could be done that wouldn't restrict movement.

If they really want to do something to make the game safer and that could have a bigger impact than any rule change, they should outlaw artificial turf...that shit is the devil.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They absolutely can be defenseless, especially if they are trying to stretch the ball out at the end of a run or are being held up by a defensive player with other defenders coming in from all angles to get them to the ground. A receiver who has caught a pass and is running with the ball (as Higbee was) are also not defenseless.

And in those cases a defensive player still isn't allowed the high hit and in most cases will hit the receiver around the middle or in his chest because they are also trying to prevent the catch.

I agree with this.

As I stated above, a player receiving the ball typically isn't going to take a low hit because the defender is taught to hit chest high to separate him from the ball.

Legislatively speaking, the game is about as safe as it can be without switching to flag football. They've even legislated things out like the horse collar tackle even though there doesn't appear to be anything that shows that horse collar tackles increase injury risk (at least not that I could find).

They've also all but eliminated kickoff returns even though special teams, especially kickoff and kickoff return teams, are how many players have made names for themselves and been able to stay in the league and move to other positions.

To make the game safer, they would need to make equipment changes, although I can't even think about what could be done that wouldn't restrict movement.

If they really want to do something to make the game safer and that could have a bigger impact than any rule change, they should outlaw artificial turf...that shit is the devil.

Sure. If they are engaged they can be defenseless.

And if a defender came flying in and speared a runner while they were held up, momentum stopped, they would get flagged for unnecessary roughness.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this.

dude- @tlance must live on a permanent acid trip. Do not bother. Apparently he does not know a running back is also an eligible receiver.

As to the being held up- its pretty much how Nick Chubb got destroyed- which was terrible.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm loving this RG3/Jay Gruden Twitter fight. It's like that meme of two clowns fighting. Although, Gruden ain't really lying with some of the stuff he's said...

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm loving this RG3/Jay Gruden Twitter fight. It's like that meme of two clowns fighting. Although, Gruden ain't really lying with some of the stuff he's said...

RG3 thinks he didn't get a fair shake. truth is easy there. he got robbed of what could've been with an injury. he was never the same.

But his need for hot takes is more than your average mic jockey

and he's kinda annoying

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude- @tlance must live on a permanent acid trip. Do not bother. Apparently he does not know a running back is also an eligible receiver.

As to the being held up- its pretty much how Nick Chubb got destroyed- which was terrible.

You are an idiot.

I said that.

Any time a player is engaged, OR they are doing something like throwing, catching, punting they should be protected from both low and high hits.

Simple as that.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,957.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RG3 thinks he didn't get a fair shake. truth is easy there. he got robbed of what could've been with an injury. he was never the same.

But his need for hot takes is more than your average mic jockey

and he's kinda annoying
And Gruden was right.

Kirk Cousins was better for the then Redskins.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Gruden was right.

Kirk Cousins was better for the then Redskins.

clearly

and who's still in the league

RG3 or Kirk

and RG3 would be the type to throw race out there...so before it goes there . it ain't that.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK......and your comparison is foolish whether in general or not.

Baker came into the league and played well right away and in year 2.....started every season he has been in the league. Geno came into the league and had no success until much later in his career and was a backup more often than not.

Look up the word, homer, so you don't make that mistake again, too.
homer - relentless supporter of their favorite team vs all reality, strong overlap with Browns fans

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB has a 2nd interview with the Falcons and he has already reached out to McDaniels and Patricia.
Bringing those two with him counters any positives he brings to the franchise. More woe for fantasy teams