• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA OFF TOPIC THREAD

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno wasn't a career backup. He, like Baker, lost his job before his rookie contract was up (a bit sooner though). Succeeded with his 4th team like Baker, just not in his first season with that team (as they had a starting QB in place, unlike the Bucs).

He started, he sucked, he stayed in the league as a career backup.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ask a WR, they probably say they would rather get hit in the head but the rules are the rules.

Some things to consider:

1705591550322.png

All the things are true, life is difficult for defense players but that is not a form tackle bc of his head placement and his head is down. This was the same as Minkah's hit on Chubb but I actually believe Minkah's was worse bc he drove his head/shoulder into the side of Chubb's knee while he was being held up by another player. I don't think this is as dirty as his hit but it is considered dirty. Look the players had time to adjust to the rules but some guys either just don't know how to tackle or they choose to aim very low with their head down. Kareem Jackson aims high and it is pretty obvious he was trying to hurt players.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not calling anyone dirty. I’m arguing that this is just football and people are reacting in hindsight to a player injury.
I think some players just don't know how to tackle but I do feel there are players that will do anything to win and that competitive advantage. If you haven't faced someone like that then you haven't played sports. I can't call the player dirty-that is not my decision-but it was not a form tackle whether anyone believes that or not. If you don't know how to tackle people are always going to talk about a hit being dirty bc these are professionals. People expect professionals and their coaches to know the basics but that is not how life works.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ask a WR, they probably say they would rather get hit in the head but the rules are the rules.

Some things to consider:

View attachment 351615

All the things are true, life is difficult for defense players but that is not a form tackle bc of his head placement and his head is down. This was the same as Minkah's hit on Chubb but I actually believe Minkah's was worse bc he drove his head/shoulder into the side of Chubb's knee while he was being held up by another player. I don't think this is as dirty but it is considered dirty. Look the players had time to adjust to the rules but some guys either just don't know how to tackle or they choose to aim low. Kareem Jackson aims high and it is pretty obvious he was trying to hurt players.

The problem is that defensive players are running out of places they can hit someone.

I'm all for making the game as safe as possible, but defensive players are being put in impossible situations. These rules seem to be made by people who have never played. A smaller player trying to tackle a bigger player has to go low. Otherwise, he's just going to get trucked.

As @fightinfunbags posted, football is a violent sport and you can get hurt playing it. Anyone who chooses to play knows this and accepts that risk.

You simply can't legislate all of the violence out of the sport.

@tlance mentioned that QB's shouldn't get special protection. One of the reasons that there some different rules atround the QB is because he is the player who is most often in a defenseless position (the other is the money they make lol). It is impossible for a QB who is throwing a pass to protect himself and in an era where he may be passing 40+ times per game, you have to provide some extra protection.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No man.

Again, what was your reaction when the low and high hits were outlawed in QBs in the pocket?

Of course it is hard.

But either you care about making the game safer for players or you don’t.
Then put me in the column of “you don’t.” People don’t have to play or watch football. They should leave the sport alone.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No man.

Again, what was your reaction when the low and high hits were outlawed in QBs in the pocket?

Of course it is hard.

But either you care about making the game safer for players or you don’t.

No, it's not "you either care about making the game safer for players or you don't". That's a bs argument.

Wanting the game to be safer and understanding that it is a violent sport and can never be completely safe are not mutually exclusive.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you miss the part where Geno has been a starter the last few years?

He has been a starter the last 2 seasons because Lock sucks and they haven't brought in anyone to replace Wilson. A career backup doesn't stop being a career backup because he started a couple seasons, especially when he shows why he was a career backup.

He has been in the league 10 years, he started 2 seasons for the Jets and the last 2 in Seattle. So, he's been a backup for over half of his career.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a certified Cowboys hater, I think this was the right move for them. Jerry Jones didn’t Jerrah Jones. Jerrah would have fired McCarthy and hired Belichick right away cause it shows “he means business about winning a Super Bowl”. Meanwhile, the Cowboys have made great strides. They’ve been drafting well. And they finally have continuity with him running the offense. This was just year 1 in that post Kellen Moore offense and Dak was an MVP candidate. I think keeping him is the smart move for at least one more year.
I wonder if he maybe tried to hire BB, but BB wanted more power than Jerry would give him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been a starter the last 2 seasons because Lock sucks and they haven't brought in anyone to replace Wilson. A career backup doesn't stop being a career backup because he started a couple seasons, especially when he shows why he was a career backup.

He has been in the league 10 years, he started 2 seasons for the Jets and the last 2 in Seattle. So, he's been a backup for over half of his career.

Pro bowl in 2022 doesn't read as "only started because Drew Lock sucks". Drew Lock's only starts in Seattle were this year when Geno was hurt.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hence "general"
The kid has been in the league 6 years and had 3 good to really good seasons. He was the starter in every season going into it.

Do you really think Geno's career has had the same trajectory?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid has been in the league 6 years and had 3 good to really good seasons. He was the starter in every season going into it.

Do you really think Geno's career has had the same trajectory?

Early draft pick, instant starter, team dumps him after 4 years, bounces around to multiple teams before finding a new home and starting job. Which part doesn't match? Sure specifics will vary. I suppose Baker is still missing the Pro Bowl invite.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early draft pick, instant starter, team dumps him after 4 years, bounces around to multiple teams before finding a new home and starting job. Which part doesn't match? Sure specifics will vary. I suppose Baker is still missing the Pro Bowl invite.
which part doesn't match? How about Geno not starting out with any good seasons and made a backup fairly quickly?

Want to say his 4-5 starting seasons means not a career backup? That case can be made if that's your opinion.....but his career trajectory has been nothing like Baker. Bad comparison.